Thais complain about the heat but open the windows at 36°

zappalot

With the average 30° Celsius inside our condo which I maintain without using an air conditioner I feel comfortable.

I just don't understand the relatives of my misses when they come in they complain immediately about the heat and open all doors and windows (And no, it does not smell). Remember: inside 30°C, outside 36 in the afternoon.

So logically seen it only can get hotter and it does get hotter inside. I noticed the same habit in the village we lived. Thais who do not use an air conditioner leave the windows open all day long. That does not make any sense, especially not in the daytime when the sun is heating up the air in the carport. And the air from the carport is flowing in of course as the carport is attached to the house.

If I explain this matter they just look puzzled, they do not understand my point, not one of them.

Can anyone explain that to me?

• Like 1

Well of course this is rational thinking,so how could they be expected to grasp the idea,in mexico they would not let you open the windows on the bus,in case bad spirits came in,prehaps,here too there is something like this,i have never heard of it,but possible,in reverse maybe.

in sis in law's house, windows are open in day for light, at night locked tight against mossies and intruders: no screens and no window glass , total muubaan shack, but the habit stays. hubby does same here: in israel also its worth it to shut out the heat, close the shades and at night to open. he has open most of the time, w/o our screens which he got rid of long time ago... he likes feeling the air movement , the a/c seems artificial to him. we dont run our a/c but even when we do sometimes, a window is always open. also in our not to very cold winters...

Actually much depends on the lay out of said house,opening the correct doors and windows in my home brings a refreshing breeze most days.

Added to the fact that trees shade much of the house also,it is possible to cool down if you go about it in the right manner.

Agree,in Australia,they were i don't know if pioneering is the right phrase,but the design of building to be such that as you say acted as a natural air conditioner,these were mostly public buildings,reflective glass,and good insulation also plays a part,as does shading with trees etc.

I never understood why Thais rarely if any have ceilings in the villages?

I think the windows are open for 'some' breeze of some sort.

Yep you sure gotta love the heat living in Thailand!

They should ask the English.

When I worked there, if it got above 24 degrees outside the windows would open and the aircon would come on.

Still haven't been able to figure that one out either.

I would die at 30 degrees. I keep mine at 18 and it would be lower if the aircons could do it.

I suppose the draft created by opening the windows would make things feel cooler than a thermometre would indicate.

I assume that you are house bound, most days are 30 or above outside.

I would die at 30 degrees. I keep mine at 18 and it would be lower if the aircons could do it.

I suppose the draft created by opening the windows would make things feel cooler than a thermometre would indicate.

Not quite but these days I go out as little as possible. I go from my door to my car to the door of wherever I'm going.

I've paid my dues so feel inclined to avoid some discomforts and for me the heat is very uncomfortable. I'm a winter person.

Not quite but these days I go out as little as possible. I go from my door to my car to the door of wherever I'm going.

I've paid my dues so feel inclined to avoid some discomforts and for me the heat is very uncomfortable. I'm a winter person.

I agree the heat can be oppressive and after a while the novelty wears off.

I think I'd need it a bit above 18 though. biggrin.png

• Like 1

You're kidding right? 18 degrees. You must sit around home all day with a jumper and socks on. Don't even turn the fan on until it gets up into the high 20's. Guess we are all acclimatised to different ambient temperatures and each to his own.

The house I'm currently in, is 2-storey. Of course, the ceiling is not insulated, and the upper level becomes unbearable, windows and doors all open to allow some air inside.

Downstairs is about 8C cooler, as I leave the glass doors open and allow the cool night breezes to come in through the locked screen doors.

Around 11am I close the glass doors, as the concrete drive and tiled 'lawn' heats up.

Downstairs stays cool most of the day, and if it gets sticky around 3pm, I zap it a bit with the air con at 27C. any colder and I'm just wasting money.

My bungalow is only 16 mths old built of brick. However it gets very hot inside as there is no insulation in the roof. When i asked if they will put it in during construction i was told "No need" as they were putting tiles on the roof. Even when it cools down outside, the inside remains hot due to the walls being hot. .......................Cannot tell Thai's can you !

My bungalow is only 16 mths old built of brick. However it gets very hot inside as there is no insulation in the roof. When i asked if they will put it in during construction i was told "No need" as they were putting tiles on the roof. Even when it cools down outside, the inside remains hot due to the walls being hot. .......................Cannot tell Thai's can you !

I have noted that when my wife recently built a small house/shop opposite our house the roof sheets were insulated,a layer of foam and then sisalation foil,i think this is relativley new,but sure makes a difference,no way does it get as hot as the house,which is well shaded with trees,have had the same experience in Australia,a house with sisalation,under the roof,well a good 10c difference in the roof void,to one that did not,but i think this is starting to catch on here as last time i visited Thai watsadu,they had heaps of roof batts,but the suspended ceilings and all the wires make it a difficult task to install these post construction.

Once worked in Sisaket and everyone there did the same thing I just assumed it was a lack of understanding of how a A/C works. The other teachers could never figure out why my classroom was so comfortable whilst theirs were so hot. I tried to explain that the windows and doors needed to be closed to feel the full effects ( NO ONE listened) lol. Eventually i tired of trying to explain so i just let them sweat and laughed in private.

PS: These were the same teachers that would install new software and then phone me, asking where the "Any Key" is?

E.G " Steve i have just installed ( Whatever) and my laptop says "Hit Any Key", Looked all over my keyboard and it doesn't have a "Any Key".

That's the point where i hit my head on a brick wall and down a bottle of Leaw Keaw.

• Like 2

I don't use aircon and I leave the windows open the whole time. I'd be pretty puzzled by your insistence on keeping them closed, too, so I don't think this is really a Thai thing.

Edited by SoiBiker
  • Like 1

Actually much depends on the lay out of said house,opening the correct doors and windows in my home brings a refreshing breeze most days.

Added to the fact that trees shade much of the house also,it is possible to cool down if you go about it in the right manner.

"

Thais complain"

O/P your experience with a few Thai people does not generalize to all 37 million of them. Stop thinking in terms of them and us. I'm sure you don't really think all farang think and act the same way although your question is posed as if all farang must feel as you do and all Thais must behave like your relatives.

"Actually much depends on the lay out of said house,opening the correct doors and windows in my home brings a refreshing breeze most days."

I agree. I rarely use the A/C, but whatever the temperature, if the A/C is not on I've got windows and balcony doors open for movement of air (and I'm not even Thai). I've lived in Africa, the Middle East and Thailand and would never be comfortable in a house or apartment that was closed up ... which is one reason I'm reluctant to use the A/C unless the heat and humidity are really brutal.

• Like 2

What the hell are you doing here in a warm country if you want 18 C go to a other country w00t.gif

• Like 1

You were the customer, why didn't you insist on it?

Once worked in Sisaket and everyone there did the same thing I just assumed it was a lack of understanding of how a A/C works.

This has to be a whoosh.

The Thai teachers in my office insist on opening a window when the a/c is on, claiming that the a/c unit "pushes" the hot air out the window. Apparently they think that an air conditioner can magically create new cold air out of nothing, therefore the hot air needs to be vented out of the room.

Two years ago I converted my in-laws' unused garage (well it was being used for junk storage) into an office/workshop for myself. I installed a ceiling-recessed a/c unit which they all assured me was way too small. But after I replaced their louvered glass windows with fixed-frame, and added a second wall (dura board) to create dead air space for insulation, this small a/c is more than sufficient. I can turn it on for an hour, then turn it off and the room stays nice and cool for a good two hours afterwards.

I also installed a wattmeter inline with the a/c unit, to monitor my usage and compensate the in-laws fairly. I'm in that room all day and use less than 5 kWh (about 20 baht).

If they would just use a bit of energy efficiency smarts when they build houses, a little a/c would go a long way.

[edit/quoted wrong person]

Edited by attrayant

I don't use aircon and I leave the windows open the whole time. I'd be pretty puzzled by your insistence on keeping them closed, too, so I don't think this is really a Thai thing.

This has to be a whoosh.

The Thai teachers in my office insist on opening a window when the a/c is on, claiming that the a/c unit "pushes" the hot air out the window. Apparently they think that an air conditioner can magically create new cold air out of nothing, therefore the hot air needs to be vented out of the room.

Two years ago I converted my in-laws' unused garage (well it was being used for junk storage) into an office/workshop for myself. I installed a ceiling-recessed a/c unit which they all assured me was way too small. But after I replaced their louvered glass windows with fixed-frame, and added a second wall (dura board) to create dead air space for insulation, this small a/c is more than sufficient. I can turn it on for an hour, then turn it off and the room stays nice and cool for a good two hours afterwards.

I also installed a wattmeter inline with the a/c unit, to monitor my usage and compensate the in-laws fairly. I'm in that room all day and use less than 5 kWh (about 20 baht).

If they would just use a bit of energy efficiency smarts when they build houses, a little a/c would go a long way.

But we were talking about a room without aircon.