Thais complain about the heat but open the windows at 36°

zappalot

I would die at 30 degrees. I keep mine at 18 and it would be lower if the aircons could do it.

I suppose the draft created by opening the windows would make things feel cooler than a thermometre would indicate.

I'd freeze to death at 18! Think my aircon has only been on 3 times in 2 years, all when someone came over from abroad.

To the Op:

I use a fan if It gets too hot (for breeze not for temp) - The windows and balcony door (2 storey house) are open day and night (with screen shut to keep out mozzies) unless there is a storm, then closed to keep rain out.

In a house the sun continually beating against the glass, the temp will rise, so opening windows allows for cool air to enter and hot air to leave (air pressure difference) - which causes a nice breeze too. Most Thais I know only use air con to sleep - personally I find it dries my throat out and makes me too cold. Just what you are used to I expect.

Because if all the doors and windows are closed you will suffocate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is truly the reason why the Thais that I know open the windows when it is hotter outside than in. Same as in the car. Try turning the fan off in the car when it would comfortable without a/c and wait to see how long it takes her to complain she can't breathe.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=bah.gif> alt=bah.gif> I just sent my girl packing as she turned on all the outside lights alt=bah.gif> at noon with sun shining and opened up the doors for mossies to come feast on me. They simply don't get it.sad.pngsad.png Dumb as a box of rocks alt=blink.png>

A box of rocks may have use...will not judge you...bitch...ask constantly for more baht...or chase you with a knife...

My lady do this to but she gives me another reason. She says then the mosquitoes can go out not realising that new ones can come in ...

Mosquitoes will generally migrate towards warmth (like your body, for instance). That's why they won't leave your car until the air conditioning is working.

Tip of the iceberg as far as strange behaviour goes but never mind. I know a girl in Hua Hin who wears a strange furry tiger head with long furry paws which she positions on her head when riding her motorbike. I asked her once why she wore it but the quizzical look on her face as if to say I was the mad one was enough not to ask the question again. She also has the same thing but with a furry dogs head and paws which she wears when out and about in town.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would die at 30 degrees. I keep mine at 18 and it would be lower if the aircons could do it.

I suppose the draft created by opening the windows would make things feel cooler than a thermometre would indicate.

Keeping your aircon set at 18 in a country where the average temperature range is between somewhere like 24 - 36 degrees doesn't give your body any chance of acclimatizing. Aircon set the same in your car?

18 degrees here all the time would make me ill, but everyone to themselves..................wink.png

Keeping your aircon set at 18 in a country where the average temperature range is between somewhere like 24 - 36 degrees doesn't give your body any chance of acclimatizing. Aircon set the same in your car?

18 degrees here all the time would make me ill, but everyone to themselves..................wink.png

I've been here for 2 decades and feel no need to acclimatize. My car is as cold as I can get it.

I might point out that many of my Thai friends live the same as I do albeit they do use a higher temperature setting on their aircons.

I've done all the roughing it I need to do. Now I try to relax and be as comfortable as I can. I'm blond hair, blue eyed and have the whitest skin a person can have so no sun for me and my genes must be set to Cold Mountain Snow mode.

Since you seem to want to explain your habits to Thai's You first must sit them down and talk to them like you would a child do this 30 to 40 times then stop they will figure it out then several months down the road do it and say didn't I have a great Idea?maybe you should put box fan in window facing out sucking hot air out of room. If they ask why tell them flies looked hot thought I'd cool them down need to make merit. The difernce here is concept and reality get the picture?

it's about Air Flow: a flowing 36 is better than not-flowing 30, I think so. and it feels cooler when air flowing.

opening windows and air will probably flow in through one and out through the other.

Tell them to F off and close your windows, turn your AC on and have it on 17 degrees. They will then dissapear and leave you in peace.

HA HA!

I had the reverse happen when I installed central heating in my house in Tasmania, a cold place in the winter.

I set the thermostat to 20C, which even our Thai home-stay student found comfortable.

Then I had some local friends come over for dinner. They turned red in the face, and started stripping off coats, jackets and sweaters.

I couldn't set the thermostat below 19C, so had to turn the darned thing off before the guests expired.

All depends on what you're used to I guess. biggrin.png

It is nonsense. Thais are experts at it. I often sleep without a cover because it is warm here. My Thai wife turns the fan on high. No problem it is still plenty warm. She covers herself with a blanket. ?????

It rains cats and dogs outside. The windows are louvered and slope to the outside. She rushes to close all the windows because the rain will come in. I have tested the windows in the heaviest downpours and rain does not come in because someone made some good choices designing the house. It took a few weeks to convince her that rain does not come in. IT DOESN"T.

I was recovering from a 5 week flu - likely swine flu. I am feeling cool in the wife's 1/2t truck so i close the vents. She opens the windows. I explain that I feel cool and do not want to take chance on getting pneumonia. She says it is dangerous not to have fresh air in the car. In Bangkok people have died because there was insufficient air. I explain about old cars and exhaust systems etc. . To no avail. In Thailand people die if there is no air coming into the vehicle. What a hulla baloo. I could not convince her of anything different. I am a scientist with over 1 million miles of highway driving. No difference. This is Thailand and things are different here. The laws of science do not operate in Thailand. So that is that.

I told the wife that dark equates to cool when it is hot outside. She looks at me, says nothing and opens all the doors. The cool house becomes a hot house.

I don't use aircon and I leave the windows open the whole time. I'd be pretty puzzled by your insistence on keeping them closed, too, so I don't think this is really a Thai thing.

Same me. All windows open all day. Mossi screens closed at dawn to dusk. Ventilators on, never use the air con.

Neighbour with identical house uses aircon all the time. His electric bill is 8.000 plus/month, mine less than 1.000 THB.

I've been here for 2 decades and feel no need to acclimatize. My car is as cold as I can get it.

I might point out that many of my Thai friends live the same as I do albeit they do use a higher temperature setting on their aircons.

I've done all the roughing it I need to do. Now I try to relax and be as comfortable as I can. I'm blond hair, blue eyed and have the whitest skin a person can have so no sun for me and my genes must be set to Cold Mountain Snow mode.

Wonder what made you choose to live in a tropical country then...

It is nonsense. Thais are experts at it. I often sleep without a cover because it is warm here. My Thai wife turns the fan on high. No problem it is still plenty warm. She covers herself with a blanket. ?????

It rains cats and dogs outside. The windows are louvered and slope to the outside. She rushes to close all the windows because the rain will come in. I have tested the windows in the heaviest downpours and rain does not come in because someone made some good choices designing the house. It took a few weeks to convince her that rain does not come in. IT DOESN"T.

I was recovering from a 5 week flu - likely swine flu. I am feeling cool in the wife's 1/2t truck so i close the vents. She opens the windows. I explain that I feel cool and do not want to take chance on getting pneumonia. She says it is dangerous not to have fresh air in the car. In Bangkok people have died because there was insufficient air. I explain about old cars and exhaust systems etc. . To no avail. In Thailand people die if there is no air coming into the vehicle. What a hulla baloo. I could not convince her of anything different. I am a scientist with over 1 million miles of highway driving. No difference. This is Thailand and things are different here. The laws of science do not operate in Thailand. So that is that.

I told the wife that dark equates to cool when it is hot outside. She looks at me, says nothing and opens all the doors. The cool house becomes a hot house.

I agree,you cannot tell them anything, any time i try i am told"this Thailand is different', now i just give her the Jack Nicholson,'here's Johnny' look from the shining,it does not make any difference but i enjoy it.

Actually much depends on the lay out of said house,opening the correct doors and windows in my home brings a refreshing breeze most days.

Added to the fact that trees shade much of the house also,it is possible to cool down if you go about it in the right manner.

"

Thais complain"

O/P your experience with a few Thai people does not generalize to all 37 million of them. Stop thinking in terms of them and us. I'm sure you don't really think all farang think and act the same way although your question is posed as if all farang must feel as you do and all Thais must behave like your relatives.

"Actually much depends on the lay out of said house,opening the correct doors and windows in my home brings a refreshing breeze most days."

I agree. I rarely use the A/C, but whatever the temperature, if the A/C is not on I've got windows and balcony doors open for movement of air (and I'm not even Thai). I've lived in Africa, the Middle East and Thailand and would never be comfortable in a house or apartment that was closed up ... which is one reason I'm reluctant to use the A/C unless the heat and humidity are really brutal.

"O/P your experience with a few Thai people does not generalize to all 37 million of them. "

Oops: 67 million.

Just had x guest at hotel ask for fan...she's ftom Alaska and too hot but other people in shared room were in sweaters.a/c here slso at home tends to overheat when 30c outdide and we literally froze this winter shen the heating part of the system failed when temps dropped to under 5...with the snow it frize up...so not all countries have the latest or best systems for climate changes. I hate fan on me and will sleep with blanket on me even in high heat may be a woman thing like keeping covered..possibly old habits in newer houses. ..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app