Thailand: Bus passengers told to wear seat belts or face a fine of 5,000 baht

webfact

Seat belts half of these bus accidents are due to bus drivers either going to fast high or just poor drivers...... seat belts sare good idea but not much use when most of these accidents have involved busses driving over ravines

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do all the buses have seat belts? I seem to remember travelling on a bus a few years ago and not finding a seat belt to fasten. Since being in an accident years ago, I am convinced my seat belt saved me from serious injury or death and I always buckle up if there's a seat belt available. The bus companies should be fined or forbidden from carrying passengers if there are no seat belts installed.

Only in Thailand can they find such a reasonable solution for the problem. At least now if enforce they won't have to look so far for the bodies? Hell they should make a killing if they just enforce it for the farang tour buses? Will the driver also be told?

Edited by thailand49

I've just been down to Bangkok and back from Mahasarakham today and I saw this on the TV but nobody seemed to be interested.

A good idea and not before time that someone in authority is doing something about the huge death toll in Thailand so well done for that. The only problem of course is if it's the usual Thai practice of making an announcement to make it look as if you're doing something without making any effort to do so.

We'll have to wait and see.

The law should also read that it is the responsibility of the Bus Company personnel to make sure that all passengers fasten their seat belts.

There is a similar law in the UK. Before every journey, National Express coach drivers make an announcement rquiring passengers to wear seat belts. After that, the responsibility passes to the passenger who is liable for any fines.

It took a while for that law to be introduced because many buses and coaches that were then in service had wooden floors. Seat belts could not be fitted to these vehicles. How many buses in Thailand are not structurely capable of having seat belts fitted?

I think most belts are fitted to the seats but your comment is just as valid regarding the seats being secure.

You can attack someone on the street...physically and verbally abuse them...then pay a 500 baht fine to be released...but 5000 baht fine for not using your seatbelt...what is wrong with this picture?

When i was in the UK last year, i got into a coach and when someone did not do up the seat belt, an alarm went off by the driver, who announced that he would not move the bus until the passenger did his seat belt up. The passenger then declared that he had a medical problem and could not fasten it. The driver said alright sir, then you will have to leave the coach. Medical problem disappeared, and off we went.

• Like 1

Better late than neverthumbsup.gif

As to....if it will be enforced.......that's another question.

Put a BIB on every bus.whistling.gif

Up to the driver, he in in charge of the bus. If he does not bother, give him a fine for every one not done up. Guarantee this will work.

'Seat belts have also been found to reduce the rate of fatalities in road accidents by 34%.'

Talk about arse about face. Start with reducing the accident numbers, by raising the standard of driving competence and rigidly enforcing road traffic laws.

• Like 2

People with enough amulets hanging round their necks will only require to hang the belts loose around their shoulders as a higher authority will be looking after their safety when traveling on Thai roads. Seat belts will all be forgotten about by the 12th

EUREKA: the solution is seatbelts with amulets! let the first monk-entrepreneur get his businessplan up & ready!

Seatbelts are a start BUT what about a speed restricting device on mini buses ? I was recently on a trip where the driver went flat out in all gears and surely was topping 130 kph where ever possible , apart from dangerous to all concerned he must have burned 30% more fuel than required and may have saved 15 mins on a 200 km hellride ! This was a month ago i wonder if he is still alive and how many souls he will take along for the final skid !

• Like 1

I've never ever seen s Thai passenger wearing a seat belt and I do the Rayong to Pattaya run on big buses and small buses - I have even done it sometimes on songtaews because I absurdly thought maybe they would be less dangerous! The problem is not seatbelts but the drivers who are completely untrained, often without licences, often high on yaba mixed with Red Bull and as I mentioned once before everybody knows that you can drive how you like on Red Bull in Thailand. There is no one I hate more than bus drivers here and every time I get on one I litterally fear for my life at least once. It is yet again the Thai way of escaping responsabilty- the seatbelts of course should be mandatory in all vehicles, helmets should be worn and no one should drink and drive or speed. Am I living in cloud cuckoo land?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's great. Fine the passenger 5K Baht Don't fine the driver or the bus company for not providing the seat belts or properly trained drivers. It must be the passengers fault for the large number of accidents and deaths in the Thai tourist bus industry

No.

It is always the fault of the road. Bad road...bad...bad road.

And here I am thinking it was the malevolent spirits who were to blame! Isn't that why we had some exorcisms performed on roads in Thailand?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifwai2.gif

That's great. Fine the passenger 5K Baht… Don't fine the driver or the bus company for not providing the seat belts or properly trained drivers. It must be the passengers fault for the large number of accidents and deaths in the Thai tourist bus industry…

Well exactly. The sheer amount of crashes in Thailand is staggering. I stopped taking mini van rides in Thailand after the first couple death rides, and thought a bigger bus would be safer. But some of the big bus drivers must be ex-mini van drivers whom somehow, by grace of God (or wearing enough amulets), did not crash into a parked semi truck trailer, roll over a median and catch fire, or hit an oncoming vehicle head on (as they were attempting to pass on a blind corner). I mean really...a white knuckle ride on a full sized charter bus? Monkeys, thats all, monkeys.

It's a load of absolute sh1t.

Just another example of TIT "waaankers, waaankers waaankers" the lot......................bah.gif

Just another example of TIT "waaankers, waaankers waaankers" the lot......................bah.gif

And if my seat-belt don't fit ,they must acquit !!!

Will there be extensions , like on a plane , for those of us with Girth !

That will mean the 100 something Baht ticket plus bribe will make trips ......Pang Mak !

If you aren't able or don't want to wear one , to avoid fine...stand up and say you were just going to the Toilet ,which I've never seen one on a Bus in Thailand that I could fit into ....Just hope the BiB don't realize that !

Sorry about Post repeating , guess it happened b4 to others , is there a way to delete...I tried editing and cancelling to no use !

post-35854-0-51161500-1399479789_thumb.j

Edited by TheWizardofRnR

That will mean the 100 something Baht ticket plus bribe will make trips ......Pang Mak !

If you aren't able or don't want to wear one , to avoid fine...stand up and say you were just going to the Toilet ,which I've never seen one on a Bus in Thailand that I could fit into ....Just hope the BiB don't realize that !

Edited by TheWizardofRnR

Edited by TheWizardofRnR