Thailand to launch new 500 Baht bank note

When I first came here I was forever mixing up 500/50 and 100/1000. Soon I figured it out by how quickly the merchant, taxi driver, etc. made a tight fist around the bill. In one case I had to pry the guy's hand open to get my money back.

• Like 1

they should change the 1000 baht notes and many of those that has gotting suspicious rich can go trade in their stolen money by the millions & billions they keep will hidden in their coffers

Why don't they scrap those stupid 25 satang coins whilst they at it,no one wants them.

I use them frequently and wouldn't consider of advocating Thailand alter its coinage or currency for me since I'm not in charge, am only a long stay visitor and am not Thai.

500 Euro note...

Are they still referred to as Osama's; everyone knows they exist but nobody sees them? (Most out of general circulation as the best note for money laundering and hiding large sums of cash) Underworlds fav banknote

(Obviously prior to the surprise S E A L party thrown for him in Pakistan)

A 5k bhat note really would be handy... and yes do away with the shrapnel

Thailand to launch new 500 Baht bank note

new+500+baht+bank+note.jpg

new+500+baht+bank+note+reverse.jpg

Bangkok:-- Thailand’s Central Bank has today announced the launch of a new 500 Baht bank note.

The new banknotes will be in circulation from Monday 12th May 2014 and will be much more difficult to forge, according to Bank of Thailand deputy governor, Thong-urai Limpiti.

The new notes will also be the same size as the existing ones, although they will be more easily distinguishable from other denominations, making it easier for the visually impaired to differentiate between notes.

The old 500 Baht banknotes which have been used for more than 12 years can still be used and will remain in circulation for the next two years before being totally replaced with the new generation of bank notes.

Source: Bank of Thailand

tvn.png

-- 2014-05-07

Suthep will love this news!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why?

This thread concerns the 500 baht note, but reading through the Bank of Thailand series of notes I am struck by the history of the 1000 baht note. This denomination featured in series 1 (1902) series 2 (1925) and series 4 (1938). Following WW2 series 9 (1948) did not have a 1000 baht note. It was not re-introduced until series 14 when it appeared in 1992.

It would be interesting to know what the 1902 series 1000 baht note would be equivalent to nowadays, taking into account inflation. I cannot imagine it ever saw the light of day in its time. See for example the history of large denominations in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_denominations_of_United_States_currency

Changing the colour of banknotes - for example changing the 1000 baht note from grey to yellow, would seem most unlikely as once a particular colour is associated with a denomination it's seemingly fixed for evermore. For example the 100 baht has been red since series 9 (1948). Taken from the Bank of Thailand page referred to above:

As the 9th series had been circulated for over 20 years, people were quite familiar with the colors of each type and denomination, making them difficult to change. Therefore it can be assumed that the colors of the 9th Series are the standard for current Thai banknotes.

The ones that confuse me the most are the 100 and 500. Similar colours in poor lighting such as in the back of taxis at night or a dimly lit bar. As has often been mentioned as a useful tactic, keeping the different banknotes separate in a wallet helps to avoid confusion. I keep 500 and 1000 bills apart from the rest.

I wonder why the plastic 50 baht note was phased out. I don't recall it lasting very long. The UK has announced it is to go down the plastic route some time in the next few years.

Edited by Rogie

If they are really concerned with the visually impaired, they should really make the 1,000 baht note a totally different colour from the 100.

Make the 1,000 a really distinct, bright colour.

I've seen quite a few people mix 1,000's in with 100's.

To mix the 1000 THB banknote with the 100 must to be almost blind.

The Th banknotes are nice, the nicest is the new 50 Baht.

Australian $ notes are the best I have come across so far.

That Mickey Mouse Monopoly money?

Of colours and sizes, just spare a thought for visually impaired yanks; all the same size and slightly different shades of green!

But yes, let's lobby the government (the next real one) to drop satangs. And while they're at it, how's about losing baht coins too, rounding everything down to nearest 5 ;)

If they are really concerned with the visually impaired, they should really make the 1,000 baht note a totally different colour from the 100.

Make the 1,000 a really distinct, bright colour.

I've seen quite a few people mix 1,000's in with 100's.

My 100 baht notes are RED, while my 1000 Baht notes are GREY.

I would consider that different colors.

Maybe you 20 baht and 1000 Baht notes in mind, as they are difficult to distinguish in the dark for me.

20 bath notes and 1000 baht notes have different suce. I never have problem with any kind of bank notes...

General user of these notes.

20 baht green brill

50 baht blue brill

100 baht red brill

Yet to handle the 500,

Thousand baht is the one that is wrong (it is a different colour as was pointed out) BUT not vastly different which it should be. So this is the only problem note.

The satang is a joke, 4 coins, or 2+2, (1x50 +2x25) ==1baht the 1 baht should be the smallest coin.

Try to spend satang at 90% of shops they say NO NO but it is legal tender.

Seeing an item 99.75 is a joke, it is NOT the same as UK 99 p. that is used to lure shoppers, you could say here 99 baht. A waste of copper--minting costs and change in your pocket every time you shop at Tesco and 7-11. they DUMP it on you.---then you spent 6 months storing in a piggy bank to take 50 bahts worth to the shop for them to spend time to count it out-----------Mickey Mouse money.