Detention chief insists Thai inmate cared for before he died

Detention chief insists inmate cared for before he died
Anan Wichitpracha
The Nation

30233128-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PATHUM THANI Central Detention chief Channarong Chanlikhit yesterday insisted that officials at his facility ensured that a detainee, who was fatally beaten up, was provided medical help in time.

His comments came in response to claims that Krisana Jeungjareon, detained for 42 days at the Thanyaburi district detention facility instead of being fined Bt200 per day, had been fatally attacked and not taken to hospital in time.

Insisting that the facts were twisted, Channarong said Krisana became agitated and picked a fight with seven other inmates, who retaliated by beating him up. The incident took place on March 7, he said, and the man was taken to Thanyaburi Hospital at 1am.

The doctor at the hospital said Krisana had only sustained bruises to his face and a broken nose, and since he was able to communicate, he was given medicines and returned to the detention facility.

After Krisana was found dead in his cell at 10pm on March 9, his body was sent to Thammasat Chalermphrakiat Hospital in Rangsit, where it was found that he died from subdural haematoma and acute heart failure.

Channarong said a committee had investigated and sent the seven attackers to court, and is also investigating the two other individuals who were allegedly involved.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-08

Oh, they gave him half a Paracetamol?!

But hey, even corrupt cops who messed with national security in Immigration were just "transferred". Keeping their rank and their pensions. What is wrong with this country?!?

They might as well stop pretending any fight against corruption or get serious about investigating murders (official last seen with disappeared Karen activist - another TV article from the past).

Bail for the torturers of that young Burmese girl who happened to be obducted and then inflicted the worst burns I've ever seen (and we had an oil bath for burn victims at the hospital where I worked).

Nothing will ever change. and yes, the fish stinks from its head.

Look at Koreans and Japanese - no one wants Harakiri, but honorable resignations, are they even known over here?

Let me think. Yes, the embezzler "manager" who stole condo owners' payments resigned and did a runner.

Krisana Jeungjareon, detained for 42 days at the Thanyaburi district detention facility instead of being fined Bt200 per day,

So I understand he was detained because he could not pay the fine (8400 Baht) probably for a minor delict

and then in prison was brought together with heavy violent criminals. No observation.

In my eyes the prison is responsible for his death.

• Like 2

from a medical point of view:

it is standard that a person with massive hemotama around the eyes is suspected of brain hemorrhage

and a CT-Scan is obligatory

I forgot 30 Baht health insurance. Oh dear

Holy moly, they ate the biggest shiners I've ever seen! How on earth could they send him back? He can't see for one thing but any doctor in a civilised World and even most mad countries would keep him in for observation and a CT scan, surely? It's criminal they didn't give basic care when he was in their care.

• Like 2

He suffered from acute heart failure.

Please tell me any death that is NOT suffering from acute heart failure.

Being splattered by a train.... Decapitation.... etc.

The ultimate death is always the same.... lack of oxygen to the brain.

• Like 1

He certainly looks like he was cared for......!

Violence in prisons happens because violent people are in there...usually for violent crimes! Som nom na.

Same same outside of prison. There's vioIence everywhere

Therein lies the problems with a National Police force. It's all under one roof and there are no checks and balances in the system. Something like this should call for a DSI investigation... But we all know it isn't going to happen.

"The doctor at the hospital said Krisana had only sustained bruises to his face and a broken nose, and since he was able to communicate, he was given medicines and returned to the detention facility." (perhaps where he was beaten even more?)

​The family should hire a good lawyer, sue the hell out of the hospital, the doctors, the police and inmates that he was interned with on the grounds of negligence, ignorance and murder.

• Like 1

Krisana Jeungjareon, detained for 42 days at the Thanyaburi district detention facility instead of being fined Bt200 per day,

So I understand he was detained because he could not pay the fine (8400 Baht) probably for a minor delict

and then in prison was brought together with heavy violent criminals. No observation.

In my eyes the prison is responsible for his death.

8400b means a serious crime, like mass murder or evading taxes. YL is up for 2-20k for shafting the whole country.

Violence in prisons happens because violent people are in there...usually for violent crimes! Som nom na.

Agreed, and I hope that if a member of your family goes to jail for whatever reason, they receive the same treatment

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks Eliot....what a nice guy!

Agreed, and I hope that if a member of your family goes to jail for whatever reason, they receive the same treatment

And your post is soooo nice:blink:

You are the one who raised Som nom na.

You wish it on an unknown, it may deservedly come back to you....................

Edited by philw

• 3 weeks later...

Thailand wants to develop medical tourism but as stories like this get out who in their right mind would want to come here for medical care? Even an intern should have enough sense to see that an individual with injuries like this man had needs to have a comprehensive evaluation rather than determining he is OK just because he can talk.

Gross incompetence seems to be the case here. Of course with all the retired doctors that inhabit TV I am sure there will be someone who can justify the care he got and might even call it "first class medical treatment".