Four bomb attacks hit Bangkok after court verdict dismissing Yingluck

webfact

POLITICS
Four attacks hit Bangkok after court verdict dismissing Yingluck

The Nation

30233220-01_big.jpg
Police examine damage to the house of Constitutional Court judge Supoj Khaimuk caused by a hand grenade early yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- Four bomb attacks took place without causing casualties late Wednesday night and early yesterday in Bangkok, in what police described as possibly politically motivated and a potential precursor to increased violence.

The four attacks occurred at the Chulabhorn Research Institute, Siam Commercial Bank headquarters, the home of a Constitutional Court judge, and the Defence Ministry.

They occurred in succession, starting at around 9pm, after a Constitutional Court ruling had earlier ended the term of caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Deputy Bangkok police chief Maj Gen Chayut Thanathaweerat said the attacks on medical and financial institutes signified a potential upswing in political violence. More policemen will be deployed in areas at risk and political rally sites, he added.

He said police had a database of potential suspects, but were not sure whether those behind each individual attack was conducted by the same group of people. Police needed time to gather evidence and intelligence before making a conclusion on who had masterminded the attacks, he added.

In the first attack, two M-79 rounds were fired into the Chulabhorn Research Institute compound, located on Vibhavadi Highway, and also hitting the ninth floor of Chulabhorn Hospital. Along with the building, a parked taxi was also damaged.

Within 30 minutes, a lone M-79 round hit the eighth floor of the Siam Commercial Bank complex. Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD) police said it was possibly fired from Ratchadaphisek Road at the front of the building.

A ping-pong ball explosion at the Defence Ministry compound near Sanam Luang caused minor damage, said Pol Colonel Kamthorn Uei-charoen, an EOD unit commander.

He said the EOD was not notified of the attack by local police, who deemed it to be a light, non-lethal attack.

As for research-institute attack, Kamthorn said the M-79 rounds were possibly fired from a moving vehicle at a distance of 180-200 metres.

It will be determined later whether the rounds were fired from the ground level on the highway or from an elevated position on the tollway overhead, he said.

At around 1am, an M-67 hand grenade was lobbed into the house of Constitutional Court judge Supoj Khaimuk. The house is located in Lat Phrao Soi 34. The blast damaged a parked car and the roof of the garage.

Earlier that day, gunshots were fired from a taxi into a group of anti-government movement People's Democratic Reform Committee supporters at the movement's Lumpini Park base.

PDRC guards reportedly saw the daytime shots fired from the taxi as it travelled along a flyover at the Sala Daeng intersection.

Chulabhorn Hospital condemned the double M-79 attack on the research institute, describing the act as inhumane. It said medical institutes were protected by international laws, including during combat.

A deputy police spokesman, Maj-General Anucha Rommayanant, said security had been heightened at key landmarks and symbolic locations, and more checkpoints had been erected in an attempt to intercept the transport of weapons.

Anucha said the number of officers stationed outside the homes of high-profile judges had been increased.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-09

• Like 1

the m-79 grenade the favourite tool of the ptp democrats and the red shirt thugs never mind dr bruce you will be ok

We all have our opions about who is responsible for the grenades, I do not share yours.

But, whoever is bombing will be in overdrive this weekend. If you believe that it is the Redshirt protesting a decision that they feel was unfair or if you believe that it is other hands that are trying to provoke a violent confrontation. Both sets of beliefs lead in my mind to a violent weekend.

I have business in Bangkok until lunchtime, then I am out of here.

• Like 1

This is getting scary, time to leave Bangkok for a few days.

Why..they are only throwing these grenades to intimidate people, the peaceful red shirts are really intending to hurt anyone according to the RTP

• Like 1

I believe that "an eye for an eye" is a common view, in the Middle-East, where I believe the inspiration for these grenade attacks comes from.

Whether directly, under orders to show 'his' displeasure at the courts' verdicts, or indirectly from the over-enthusiatic people who swallow all the propaganda whole.

Either way, one can only hope that innocent people don't get hurt, and that only these few token-bombings will be deemed sufficient, to regain the lost face. wink.png

• Like 1

I believe that "an eye for an eye" is a common view, in the Middle-East, where I believe the inspiration for these grenade attacks comes from.

Whether directly, under orders to show 'his' displeasure at the courts' verdicts, or indirectly from the over-enthusiatic people who swallow all the propaganda whole.

Either way, one can only hope that innocent people don't get hurt, and that only these few token-bombings will be deemed sufficient, to regain the lost face. wink.png

In this case, we can all assume that, IF anyone is getting hurt, whether spectators, innocent people, children or foes, the hardcore redshirt supporters are gonna celebrate with joy yet again the same way they did at that Big C incident...

the m-79 grenade the favourite tool of the ptp democrats and the red shirt thugs never mind dr bruce you will be ok

We all have our opions about who is responsible for the grenades, I do not share yours.

But, whoever is bombing will be in overdrive this weekend. If you believe that it is the Redshirt protesting a decision that they feel was unfair or if you believe that it is other hands that are trying to provoke a violent confrontation. Both sets of beliefs lead in my mind to a violent weekend.

I seriously doubt that these events are the responsibility of the anti government side.

The only ones who have a great interest in seing things going violent are the reds.

I hope you have a great week end in the safe heaven you are heading too.

• Like 2

Me and wife leaving Bangkok in one hour.

could be a good idea, I don't think the weekend and or today bodes well, call me a pessimist if you wish....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If this is done in the interest of a political change for the better, then they really show how uneducated they are. I'm sure all they were thinking was "Oh, this didn't go our way. Get some bombs". Any vocal communication solution was probably never considered, not even thought of.

It's the same every time. It's like they cannot handle a little adversity in life. They've probably stopped planning or evaluate anything because they got so tired of thinking "Oh, this didn't go our way" so many times in the past that the plan really is just to have grenades lay ready.

Your family and your neighbours would love you if they knew what you just did. You would make the community proud. That's probably why show your face publicly... (being sarcastic)

everyone's entitled to there opinion,anti goverment protesters pretending to be pheu thai supporters throwing grenades at there own supporters mmmmmmmMMMMM CLEVER.

Sick wind up comment.

Of course the Reds win the next election.

But really Reds.

When the other side plays dirty with puppet courts put into power after coups, it is time to play rough.

MODS PLEASE NOTE--INCITING--CONDONING VIOLENCE, whatever side you want to take --no need for this unless it is in your natural thinking.

• Like 2

Me and wife leaving Bangkok in one hour.

could be a good idea, I don't think the weekend and or today bodes well, call me a pessimist if you wish....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Leave for how long ???? going to a quiet Issan holiday retreat village style, get amongst them pretend your with them you will be safe. Make friends with the village head man, give him cigs and whisky you will have a new friend, problem is you will have to give regular.whistling.gif

Hey, Red Shirts, this is not the way to gain support. It will and is doing just the opposite. Oh excuse me, you thugs and your counterparts in PCAD are people who are essentially criminals and feel you now have a license to create the havoc that was always in your hearts. You are tearing the country apart.

• Like 2

This is getting scary, time to leave Bangkok for a few days.

why are you worried, it is your boys doing it or are you starting to get cold feet now that the reds are once again showing their true colours

• Like 1

4 bomb attacks have resulted in the unfortunate deaths of 2 roofs, a taxi, a parked car and a garbage can. The city is in a state of disbelieve and are now mourning the loss of these innocents.

When will the violence end!

clap2.gif

• Like 1

I seriously doubt that these events are the responsibility of the anti government side.

The only ones who have a great interest in seing things going violent are the reds.

Why do the reds have an interest in violent confrontation? They are in power and will stay in power if the july election goes smoothly. The PDRC on the other hand...

Of course the Reds win the next election.

But really Reds.

When the other side plays dirty with puppet courts put into power after coups, it is time to play rough.

MODS PLEASE NOTE--INCITING--CONDONING VIOLENCE, whatever side you want to take --no need for this unless it is in your natural thinking.

How is that inciting violence? He is just saying it as it is likely to be. Get real and grow some.

• Like 1

Why do the reds have an interest in violent confrontation? They are in power and will stay in power if the july election goes smoothly. The PDRC on the other hand...

Why the Red Shirts do this? for the same reason other terrorist groups to it, to gain control through the use of terror against the population and institutions of a country. The question is, what would be the status of the Red Shirts and if they didn't have to resort to terrorism to give weight to their agenda.

That the Red Shirts are the ones behind the continuous attacks against institutions and anti-government protestors is obvious, they had at least in one occasion been caught red handed in the case of the attack on the NACC on March 29th:

Police find cache of war weapons near NACC

Pol General Aek Angsananont, deputy commissioner-general of the Royal Thai Police, said the weapons were found near the rally site of a red-shirt group outside the National Anti-Corruption Commission headquarters. The police had come over to check the area after two M79 grenades were fired at the NACC compound earlier that night.

Aek said the weapons had been left on a deserted plot at the mouth of Soi Nonthaburi 46 in a green cloth bag. The cache seized included two M79 cartridges, a .45 revolver with 44 rounds of ammunition and 39 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, and four RGD-5 hand grenades.

A police source said the M79 grenades had the same lot number as those fired at the Thai PBS head office on February 26, while the RDG-5 grenades had the same lot number as those used in previous attacks in Bangkok's Bang Na area, Chon Buri and Nonthaburi.

Apart from seizing the war weapons on Thursday night, police also arrested four armed suspects.

The suspects were identified as Chuchart Chusiri, 33; Ratanapong Inthararangsi, 35; Samai Boonnarn, 60; and Kompakorn Kohkaew, 46; and were found hanging out with the security guards of the red-shirt People's Radio for Democracy group near the NACC headquarters.

Chuchart was allegedly caught carrying a shotgun with 38 rounds of ammunition, while police said Ratanapong was carrying an AK-47 assault rifle with 120 rounds of ammunition and two RGD-5 grenades. Samai allegedly had a home-made gun along with 11 rounds of 9mm ammunition, while Kompakorn was nabbed as he is wanted for car theft.

In view of this, Mrgk, why don't you answer your own question? Why do the Red Shirt have an interest in violent confrontation?