imported butter price

M Z

Orchid is the only name you need for butter in Thailand. It is made here and tastes better than any imported product in my opinion and that of all members of extended family. As there production was seriously damaged by the flooding two years ago and is only now back to normal availability we have been forced to try just about every import and none were close in taste quality for us (understand others may have different choice in taste but believe this is a quality product). I will add the only other place I had butter with as good a taste was Nairobi in Kenya so yes my opinion may not be shared by all. wai.gif

Maybe regular Orchid is Okay but the Orchid Classic can be awful. It often tastes rancid.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Orchid is the only name you need for butter in Thailand. It is made here and tastes better than any imported product in my opinion and that of all members of extended family. As there production was seriously damaged by the flooding two years ago and is only now back to normal availability we have been forced to try just about every import and none were close in taste quality for us (understand others may have different choice in taste but believe this is a quality product). I will add the only other place I had butter with as good a taste was Nairobi in Kenya so yes my opinion may not be shared by all. wai.gif

Funny how people's tastes differ. I find Orchid has an unpleasant sweetness is strangely "perfume-y" (some sort of aldehyde I think).

Of all the locally produced "butters" Allowrie is my personal favorite - it's the only one that doesn't (to me at least) taste praeternaturally sweet.

I am normally happy either brands, but one has to be careful not to accidentally buy the butter spread version that exist for all. Those are truly horrible.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am normally happy either brands, but one has to be careful not to accidentally buy the butter spread version that exist for all. Those are truly horrible.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

my wf.picked up the wrong one last yr.it had vanilla in it,that was the worst.

but going back to what we where used to back home,st.ivel's moonraker[salted] and welsh hollybush these are half the price we are paying here and 23grms.more.

this is what I say,anything that is farang taste is expensive,but what is a chip butty,or a bacon butty without a good butter and of course not forgetting the hp.

taff valley boyo

I looked at the Orchid label and it said 82% butteroil and 2% milkfat. Exactly the same proportions as Allowrie. Looks like it's manufactured, too.

I have to be carefull what I eat as I have already had a double by-pass and a valve replacement.

what surprises me is anchor foods are a world wide manufactor with a big big name and to let some of their products produced under licence leading people to believe they are buying the real thing.

Just bought President French butter 250gr at 245B at TOPS, There is an other French brand I like at Villa Market.

I will not eat/cook Orchid or any other butter found in Thailand, beurks.

I also stay away from anything Macro.

Just bought President French butter 250gr at 245B at TOPS, There is an other French brand I like at Villa Market.

I got directed to Emborg butter by an old French pastry chef . It's first rate imported European butter and last time I checked it was 89 baht for 200 grams at Makro.

Can any1 provide me recent imported butter price in thailand with weight..

If anyone on here's still reading this thread, Makro sells imported butter from New Zealand (Anchor) and the E.U. (Emborg).

Anchor is available single 250g for about B85 and in a 4 slab pack for B320

Emborg is packed in 200g slabs and is about B85

That was as of around May 28th. Nowhere sells butter from those 2 areas cheaper than Makro.

Not according to one poster in the CM Forum in which he said this place in CM is about the same price as you stated but double the size. I never went in there, so I can't validate his comment.

post-137105-0-67479000-1402562819_thumb.

It seems that the butter tasted better when I was young. The butter was from Australia and I didn't eat it in Thailand. Anyone else feels the same?

Can any1 provide me recent imported butter price in thailand with weight..

If anyone on here's still reading this thread, Makro sells imported butter from New Zealand (Anchor) and the E.U. (Emborg).

Anchor is available single 250g for about B85 and in a 4 slab pack for B320

Emborg is packed in 200g slabs and is about B85

That was as of around May 28th. Nowhere sells butter from those 2 areas cheaper than Makro.

Not according to one poster in the CM Forum in which he said this place in CM is about the same price as you stated but double the size. I never went in there, so I can't validate his comment.

attachicon.gifrSAM_0508.JPG

It seems that the butter tasted better when I was young. The butter was from Australia and I didn't eat it in Thailand. Anyone else feels the same?

He says that Emborg is 85 baht for 200 grams and I wrote that it's 89 baht for 200 grams.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got directed to Emborg butter by an old French pastry chef . It's first rate imported European butter and last time I checked it was 89 baht for 200 grams at Makro.

Emborg Salted at Food Mart in Jomtien. 120 THBT for 200g. I just bought it yesterday.

being brought up from a baby on welsh salty butter I was concerned about what I would buy here,but allowie salted is ok,and anchor salted which says on the packageing pure new Zealand butter,what I can understand is,produced in indonnesia.

How can New Zealand butter be made in Indonesia. Do they have refrigerated cream tankers travelling from New Zealand to Indonesia. This is obviously another use of Butter oil and the process of making "Butter" from cream and from butter oil is not the same.

As the old Castrol advertisments said...."Oils aint Oils." and we can say the same about "Butter"

well harry I think its time to try and make sense of the labeling,anchor is butter oil,but what has alarmed me is in very small lettering it contains 4gms.of trans.fat per 100grms.that means about 9grms per block.

I am sure anything containing trans fat is banned in the uk. that's the last lot of anchor I buy.

no wonder these supermarkets love to stick labels over what it contains.

I just got back from the store picking up some Anchor butter and then I saw this! I had no idea it was made in Indo.

However when I looked at the ingredients it just says "milk, water. " then it has the breakdown of moisture (15.7%) milk fats (82.9%) milk solids non fat (1.4%). No mention of butter oil. This is on the 227g brick of butter from big c.

I am the first to admit that I am not a dairy expert so I am not really sure what it all means.

Also decided to try Embourg. That has ingredients: "cream".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

being brought up from a baby on welsh salty butter I was concerned about what I would buy here,but allowie salted is ok,and anchor salted which says on the packageing pure new Zealand butter,what I can understand is,produced in indonnesia.

How can New Zealand butter be made in Indonesia. Do they have refrigerated cream tankers travelling from New Zealand to Indonesia. This is obviously another use of Butter oil and the process of making "Butter" from cream and from butter oil is not the same.

As the old Castrol advertisments said...."Oils aint Oils." and we can say the same about "Butter"

well harry I think its time to try and make sense of the labeling,anchor is butter oil,but what has alarmed me is in very small lettering it contains 4gms.of trans.fat per 100grms.that means about 9grms per block.

I am sure anything containing trans fat is banned in the uk. that's the last lot of anchor I buy.

I just got back from the store picking up some Anchor butter and then I saw this! I had no idea it was made in Indo.

However when I looked at the ingredients it just says "milk, water. " then it has the breakdown of moisture (15.7%) milk fats (82.9%) milk solids non fat (1.4%). No mention of butter oil. This is on the 227g brick of butter from big c.

I am the first to admit that I am not a dairy expert so I am not really sure what it all means.

Milkfats is just another name for Butter Oil. As is Butterfat.

ontaining trans fat is banned in the uk. that's the last lot of anchor I buy.

Milkfats is just another name for Butter Oil. As is Butterfat.

I understand there is or was two types of Anchor butter here (Other than salted and unsalted) one seems to be butter and one not.

I understand there is or was two types of Anchor butter here (Other than salted and unsalted) one seems to be butter and one not.

There is a kind imported directly from New Zealand into Thailand. That is the real thing.

The welsh butter you are talking about reminds me of the Amish butter my dad would buy when I was a child. Amish butter is real salted butter from real farms in America.

There is a kind imported directly from New Zealand into Thailand. That is the real thing.

has anybody bought the real thing.

I can remember the huge stacks of salty butter that you could get in the markets in the valleys,the Italians when they first came to wales and opened up the "brachi's" ohhhhhhhhh thick toast and salty 100%butter dripping down your chin.

but what we are getting here is oil.

I can remember the huge stacks of salty butter that you could get in the markets in the valleys,the Italians when they first came to wales and opened up the "brachi's" ohhhhhhhhh thick toast and salty 100%butter dripping down your chin.

You can get the real thing if you're willing to pay for it. Lots of real butter is imported from Europe. I like Emborg which goes for 85 baht for 200 grams at Makro. Comes both salted and unsalted.

I bought LurPak Danish Butter Slightly Salted yesterday at Food Mart in Jomtien

The ingredients are: Cream, Lactic Starter, and 1.2% salt.

200g

254 THBT.

It may be a little cheaper in some of the other stores.

I am going to do a side by side comparison with Emborg soon.

You can get the real thing if you're willing to pay for it. Lots of real butter is imported from Europe. I like Emborg which goes for 85 baht for 200 grams at Makro. Comes both salted and unsalted.

willing to pay? allowrie 92bht.salted or unsalted,the same with orchid which are produced in Thailand.

anchor 90bht.produced in Indonesia.227gms.

emborg 99bht.big c.lets have some ST.IVAL MOONRAKER.

I usually buy Orchid butter,have done for years,then last week

i bought a 1kg block of Anchor,just to try it,and its terrible,has a

slight rancid,oily taste,it does not even melt in the sun,its like

Plasticine, so i have to spread it very thin,too much you can taste

it, The wife does not eat butter,which is how i usually get rid of stuff

i buy and don't like,as she will eat almost anything.

So i will try making some scones and pies,just hope that taste does

not spoil them.one thing for sure,butter now is not the same as when

i was a lad,remember those big barrels of Danish butter in the grocers

that was 100% butter,thats the problem today you just don't know what

you are eating,additives,modified,processed,chemicals and GM,Food

glorious food ,defiantly not what it used to be.

regards worgeordie

regards worgeordie

now that's all I can do is dream of toast with our butter,real welsh salted you know.

I for the first time made hot water crust pastry for my pork pies using all butter[imperial] and they came out great,i wont go back to using half pork fat/butter.

Edited by meatboy

regards worgeordie

Why would you use something that tastes bad to cook and think that the outcome will be good. It 's like people who save bad tasting wine to cook with and wonder why the outcome tastes like s**t! Throw it away if it rancid!

regards worgeordie

There is first rate butter available in thailand. You just have to be willing and able to pay for it.