What Do You Miss Most?

Thaidit

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being able to walk down the street without being accosted by hookers, beggers, hawkers, taxi drivers or mangey dogs.

They are a lot more bearable that the "homeless" in San Fransisco. At least they don't usually physically threaten you. :o

It's pretty clear that the OP has never strolled down the Venice Beach boardwalk and seen the homeless sub culture there. Thailand's beggars are rather tame, the hookers are mellow and so are the dawgies

Hans, I am the OP and yes I have walked down Venice and downtown LA and I will not miss the hookers, drug addicts, etc of the western world. But I think I will miss my big back yard where I have entertained friends while BBQing some steaks and ribs.

Caramilk chocolate bars, Montreal bagels, Cheerios, good cheese and pate, juicy crunchy fresh apples/apple pie, tourtiere,

Museums and galleries, theatres/an evening at a good play

English reading material

nothing, but then I'm not American and maybe i can live overseas without going on about lack of beer choice or steak :D

I don't see any Americans whining about not having Marmite, Vegemite, or spotted dick. :o

I doubt you see wnyone whining about not having spotted dick :D

Well...I miss FAGGOTS and peas, and that will really get the Americans wondering!

You don`t mean Savoury Ducks do you !!!!!we will have them blowing a gasget with TOAD in THE HOLE from another posting ,Welsh Rarebit , Hot Pot ...Neeps ,Tatties and Haggis , Stoties and barm cakes ... that should keep them going for a while .

Hey...leave the WELSH out of this! What have we ever done to you! And WELSH Rarebit is disgusting, I am ashamed it is my National Dish.

Actually I thought it was the only good thing to come from Taffy land ,( apart from the Severn Bridge !!!! Yaky da Boyo and all that .

:D:D:D

Please bear in mind that it costs 5 quid to get over that bridge into Wales...but it is free to get back into England...nobody wants to pay to go there!

I look forward to a 'sheepish' response!

Caramilk chocolate bars, Montreal bagels, Cheerios, good cheese and pate, juicy crunchy fresh apples/apple pie, tourtiere,

Museums and galleries, theatres/an evening at a good play

English reading material

Stop it Gisele, you cruel torturess!!! :o

Fashions that fit me - darn it!!!!!!! I want my fashion identity back. I look like a reject in Thailand (even tho I'm now the same size as most Thai gals)... but there is little choice for western women here - despite the enormous tourism growth from the western world this country generates! :D

And I want to be able to buy a fillet of tuna or salmon at the local market to eat with my salad at night. And I want small sachets of concentrated miso for a reasonable price.... and and and....

Not much really (just a decent bottle of red wine for under 20 bloody US dollars would be nice too)!

Why, oh why, is Phuket such a backwater & so much more expensive to live than Bangkok?

:o

nothing, but then I'm not American and maybe i can live overseas without going on about lack of beer choice or steak :D

I don't see any Americans whining about not having Marmite, Vegemite, or spotted dick. :o

Well...I miss FAGGOTS and peas, and that will really get the Americans wondering!

You don`t mean Savoury Ducks do you !!!!!we will have them blowing a gasget with TOAD in THE HOLE from another posting ,Welsh Rarebit , Hot Pot ...Neeps ,Tatties and Haggis , Stoties and barm cakes ... that should keep them going for a while .

Hey...leave the WELSH out of this! What have we ever done to you! And WELSH Rarebit is disgusting, I am ashamed it is my National Dish.

Actually I thought it was the only good thing to come from Taffy land ,( apart from the Severn Bridge !!!! Yaky da Boyo and all that .

Please bear in mind that it costs 5 quid to get over that bridge into Wales...but it is free to get back into England...nobody wants to pay to go there!

Actually I cannot think of one FLOCKING response I will ask BaaBaara my girl friend !

good day to you and do not forget to take your wellies off when entering the house .

:D Friends, family and conversation. Affordable print media - books and newspapers. Public lending libraries. the weather and seasons. Dressing up warmly. Being able to estimate how long a journey will take. Small things really. :o

Good point leisurely, the library! I love the library. However, I have found, with a library card from the library in my parents hometown, I can access quite a few things through their website, including downloading ebooks for free.

I miss being able to go for a brisk walk without breaking into a major sweat.

Good point leisurely, the library! I love the library. However, I have found, with a library card from the library in my parents hometown, I can access quite a few things through their website, including downloading ebooks for free.

I miss being able to go for a brisk walk without breaking into a major sweat.

I miss being able to do anything without breaking into a major sweat !!!!!!!

Thats becuase we brought our "Get out of Jail Free" card before we went over...there is no way we are stopping for ANYTHING on the way back :D

Thats becuase we brought our "Get out of Jail Free" card before we went over...there is no way we are stopping for ANYTHING on the way back :D

It's a good job I remember reading somewhere that you are about 6 feet 8 inches, otherwise I would be arranging a visit in the small hours to put a bat up your nightie!

• 2 years later...

This from the NZHerald today.

Marmite has a stronger better taste than Vegemite, both basically the same.

Like their beer, Auzzies prefer nsomething more mild, than red blooded Kiwis........ hahaha

Marmite tops wish list

New 7:00AM Friday Sep 19, 2008

Marmite is high on the Christmas "wish list" of Defence Force and police personnel who will be overseas on Christmas Day.

Nearly 490 parcels packed yesterday with the help of the Returned and Services' Association included items such as Anzac biscuits, gingernuts, Marmite, Watties tomato sauce, chippies and onion dip ingredients, toothpaste and chewing gum.

They will be sent to 13 countries including Afghanistan, Egypt, Antarctica, Solomon Islands and East Timor.

Meatball and peas in gravy YUM!!

Toad in the Hole...... Sausage backed in batter. Kinda like pig in the blanket:)

Welsh Rarebit---- chease on toast?? not sure....

Hot Pot--- have a thought of what this is but well I am probably wrong.

Neeps--- Turnips eemmmm love fried..

Tatties and Haggis..... You can keep'em.... If I remember right they don't sound all that appealing... Taters I am okay with but the other... Keep it.. :D

Stoties and barm cakes.... Have to admit I have never heard of it......

Oh yeah and just so it is not completely offtopic ..... when living there I missed out door sports that we have in the states..... not quite the same in LOS>... But of course there are good hunts in LOS that you don's need quite the same gun for...... :D

What I miss about the US……a few like….

The weather - 4 seasons

The English language -24/7

The roof solar panel

Clean drinking basic tap water

Good condition sidewalks

Personal privacy

Clean air

Central heating /cooling system

HomeDepot

Cute american boys

Oh….and