Southeast Asian women embrace independent travel

craigt3365

New TripAdvisor study finds strong demand for solo female travel

Women in Southeast Asia are increasingly embracing the concept of independent travel, a new study has revealed.

According to the findings of TripAdvisor’s inaugural ‘Women and the World Travel Survey’, more than a third (36%) of female respondents from Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia said they travel alone for leisure, with 43% planning at least two solo trips this year.

Dispelling fears that Asia might not always be a safe destination for solo female travellers, an overwhelming 81% of women polled said they are planning to take a solo holiday within the region, followed by 36% who plan to explore Europe. A further 36% are planning to take a break within their home country.

Continued:

http://www.traveldailymedia.com/207189/southeast-asian-women-embrace-independent-travel/

• Like 2

, an overwhelming 81% of women polled said they are planning to take a solo holiday within the region, followed by 36% who plan to explore Europe. A further 36% are planning to take a break within their home country.

........... Well I guess 153% of women can't be wrong................coffee1.gif

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 1

Not something new, my Vietnamese wife traveled alone around the world in the sixties before we married. Of course, she was a bit different; an independent and outspoken business woman, educated at the Sorbonne, often traveled on buying trips and visiting university friends.

• Like 1

This may be safe for Asian women within Asia or even Asian women within Europe. They do not stand out and often have some command of the local language or an International language. I still would not recommend that a single girl from Europe or North America travel here on their own. They may stand out like a soar thumb and may have trouble with the language. I think it would be much safer if they had a traveling companion.

Boo-I, too, agree that Thailand is a very safe place to travel around (but as you mentioned- keep your preservation wits about you-as in any country) In my own country, travelling on the local buses and trains brings on angst as "locals" confront people and graffiti is rampant on all windows and buildings.I do not feel safe travelling on a metro train in Australia but funnily enough in large cities like London and my (now)home city of Bangkok I feel perfectly safe. Both the trains-underground and sky train - and buses have a security bought on by the systems that are in place here and the attitude of the people that surpasses those of the Australasian community.

However, referring back to the title of the post "Southeast asian women embrace independent travel-I have several Thai sister-in-laws- and "Independent" travel never comes into the equation.

For the past 20 years, whenever any of them want to or have travelled they rely on me and my husband to book their tickets,accompany them etc.

They would never in a million years consider travelling "independently".As far as Thai people go-the more the merrier!!!

• Like 1

Not something new, my Vietnamese wife traveled alone around the world in the sixties before we married. Of course, she was a bit different; an independent and outspoken business woman, educated at the Sorbonne, often traveled on buying trips and visiting university friends.

Yes indeed, your wife is an exceptional case—but it sounds like she should write her memoirs! (Very lucky lady! smile.png)

ThaiVisa should post more articles like this. They are inspiring and informative. Thank you kindly TV! clap2.gif

• Like 1

raesum... men also dont travel solo. we can never go anywhere as a couple with hubby 'by the way we are picking up tuey and huey and lek....' (all in different villages around a two hour radius of where we are or are going to be... and then whne picking them up it takes forever to get moving again.

to them, one is disgusting, two is ok, three is fun and more is better...

he never seems to get the 'romantic couple in room for two far away from anything feel'... ; and the women i know also dont or wont travel alone, but that could be education levels/socioeconomic... maybe more educated, more monied women have more security and also self possession so feel comfortable travelling alone. someone who feels 'lower' (like many issaan village folks) tends to not trust outsiders (country hick syndrome) and also prefers 'two for comfort'.

but i meet japanese and hong kong women travelling around israel on their own all the time. but the thais travel in herds, as do the koreans, vietnamese, and chinese mainland.

As someone who travelled alone in American, Australasia, Asia & at least 60% of Europe, Thailand has always come out as the safest place for me to travel alone.

I Think more foreigners die in Thailand than all them countries in south east asia put together.

This may be safe for Asian women within Asia or even Asian women within Europe. They do not stand out and often have some command of the local language or an International language. I still would not recommend that a single girl from Europe or North America travel here on their own. They may stand out like a soar thumb and may have trouble with the language. I think it would be much safer if they had a traveling companion.

The fairer sex needs companionship and the dolt doesn't? Allowing for normal precautions, traveling alone should be seen as experience.

This has come up in other threads as well. the Western women posting -- all of whom have actually experienced traveling alone in SE Asia -- uniformly say it is fine and no worse than traveling in the west, which carries a lot more dangers than the male posters here seem to appreciate. No country has a monopoly on rape and the like. Western women travelers do not arrive in Thailand or other Asian countries as delicate flowers unaware of sexual predators. They arrive here already veterans of years of dealing with this.

• Like 1

This has come up in other threads as well. the Western women posting -- all of whom have actually experienced traveling alone in SE Asia -- uniformly say it is fine and no worse than traveling in the west, which carries a lot more dangers than the male posters here seem to appreciate. No country has a monopoly on rape and the like. Western women travelers do not arrive in Thailand or other Asian countries as delicate flowers unaware of sexual predators. They arrive here already veterans of years of dealing with this.

Sheryl,

While I know there are experienced women solo travelers, and many are Western; there are also those who are inexperienced--as all of you were once before. The fact that language and cultural differences for Western females exist in Asia when they may not in the West is probably the best reason for more concern. Then, of course, you have that mindset taught many men by their mothers; that females are the weaker sex and they are in need of the assistance and protection provided by a man.

I spent a few months on Khao San Road some 12 years ago. You'd be amazed at how many there are total newbies to the travel scene. Some of the Americans had never been outside their own country. KSR is fairly safe, and you've got lots of friends around, normally. But seeing these 19 year old backpackers so drunk they can't walk home at 3am is scary. Most travel in "packs". Very few really do independent travel. Pretty much stick to the banana pancake trail. 555555

The most intrepid Asian women I've seen are Japanese. My wife and I have met them all over the world in some very rugged places. I love their attitude to life...they like to have fun and aren't that shy. Just go!

Thailand is an extremely safe country for independent travel, as is almost all of Asia. Most problems happen after dark and in/near drinking places.

• Like 1

I spent a few months on Khao San Road some 12 years ago. You'd be amazed at how many there are total newbies to the travel scene. Some of the Americans had never been outside their own country. KSR is fairly safe, and you've got lots of friends around, normally. But seeing these 19 year old backpackers so drunk they can't walk home at 3am is scary. Most travel is "packs". Very few really do independent travel. Pretty much stick to the banana pancake trail. 555555

The most intrepid Asian women I've seen are Japanese. My wife and I have met them all over the world in some very rugged places. I love their attitude to life...they like to have fun and aren't that shy. Just go!

Thailand is an extremely safe country for independent travel, as is almost all of Asia. Most problems happen after dark and in/near drinking places.

I think you will find most Americans have not been outside their home country--and many of those who have did so in the military. However, Americans do not have to leave their home country to seek warmer climates, or go to the shore, the mountains, the desert, the swamp, the prairie, the Arctic, etc.

• Like 1

Sheryl,

While I know there are experienced women solo travelers, and many are Western; there are also those who are inexperienced--as all of you were once before. The fact that language and cultural differences for Western females exist in Asia when they may not in the West is probably the best reason for more concern. Then, of course, you have that mindset taught many men by their mothers; that females are the weaker sex and they are in need of the assistance and protection provided by a man.

Inexperienced in foreign travel, yes, but not in the least inexperienced in dealing with predatory males, risk of rape and assault etc.

For some reason men on this board are blind to what women have to face in the west (perhaps because it is perpetrated by western men) and only aware of/concerned about this risks when women come to Asia.

• Like 1

Sheryl,

Inexperienced in foreign travel, yes, but not in the least inexperienced in dealing with predatory males, risk of rape and assault etc.

For some reason men on this board are blind to what women have to face in the west (perhaps because it is perpetrated by western men) and only aware of/concerned about this risks when women come to Asia.

You were never inexperienced in "dealing with predatory males, risk of rape and assault etc." Do tell us more.