Pharmacy How To?

Guest distilling

Guest distilling

Hi All,

I've just relocated to Chiang Mai for the next few months and a really nasty cough I had a month or so ago has resurfaced (maybe pollution?). I had a precription for a heavy-duty cough syrup back home, and I hear that one can get these things over the counter up here, but how? Just find the name of it and ask the person behind the counter for it? Where are the best places to go?

Thanks!

I agree absolutely with your assessment. They are very good Pharmacies. Jun, the pharmacist in the one nearest Thapae Gate speaks slightly better English and stocks more products, but her prices are a bit higher.

Guest distilling

Thanks,

Those are definitely the pharmacies I will seek out. However, if I don't have my prescription with me, can I just tell the pharmacist what I'd like?

Thanks,

Those are definitely the pharmacies I will seek out. However, if I don't have my prescription with me, can I just tell the pharmacist what I'd like?

yes you can, just ask the phamarcy about generic /brand name (except codeine, you cant buy it)

Your "heavy-duty" cough medicine will likely NOT be available over the counter as it likely contains narcotics ...

It cannot hurt to ask .. but it isn't likely ...

However you COULD try a better hospital and see a Dr There ... Tell the Dr that you have had this problem before and that _____ worked very well to relieve the symptoms.

Your "heavy-duty" cough medicine will likely NOT be available over the counter as it likely contains narcotics ...

It cannot hurt to ask .. but it isn't likely ...

However you COULD try a better hospital and see a Dr There ... Tell the Dr that you have had this problem before and that _____ worked very well to relieve the symptoms.

Quite correct JD, The syrup that the OP is referring to is more than likely Ricodene and contains both Dextromethorphan and Codein, and is a restricted perscription because of the codein content......BUT, it works extremely well when others won't.

I would suggest a trip to the Ram and ask for a perscription.

Some of the herbal medicines that come in round pellet shape work very well for coughs.

Most have a mixture of ingredients , I think fah talai jon is one ingredient for throat irritation and probably ginger another. Ask at the Chinese medicine store at near Warorot Market or the herbal medicine store on Tapae rd.