Coup d'etat not the answer to conflict: Army chief

Lite Beer

Coup d'etat not the answer to conflict: Army chief

PNPOL570510001001001_10052014_020520.jpg

BANGKOK, 10 April 2014 (NNT) – The Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has reiterated that a coup d’etat is not the ultimate solution to the political conflict that has dragged on for more than eight years.

General Prayuth said the army wouldn't do any favors for any side, but will instead act on its own judgment. He also asked the people to have faith in the army, reassuring them that the military’s main duty is to protect the people and the nation.

He personally believes that a coup d’etat wouldn't end the years-long conflict between the two major political camps and whatever decision the military made, there would always be unfair criticism,

Therefore, General Prayuth urged everyone involved to seek a solution that is in accordance with the rule of law and warned that the law should not be used as a weapon to attack political opponents.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLw.web
-- NNT 2014-05-10

• Like 2

Prayuth strikes a perfect balance with this statement, taking neither side. The UDD refrain " judicial coup " should be stricken from the vocabulary. It is in effect a built in oxymoron - yet has become the favourite word for anyone that opposes a judicial ruling on any grounds whatsoever. Prayuth reaffirms that the rule of law must be upheld. And indeed it must, and if the judicial process was ever challenged, that would be the point where the army would likely feel compelled to intervene to protect the courts and their rulings. Prayuth has never in his career ever criticized a judicial ruling. So Prayuth is both notable for the things he says and the things he does not say.

'UDD refrain' rolleyes.gif

Google 'judicial coup' and see the results. Give them a call. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

• Like 1

love1020 post # 6.

Thaksin wants the army in so he can blub to the wolds press about coups .......they have more intelligence than that~!! Problem is the red shirts are armed en masse by Thaksins friend `hun `sen and have armed police to step aside for them MY QUESTION........why is the pressure put on the army to be fair not put on the police to be fair..........and why is CAPO allowed to act so biased against people protesting?? Red logic, red fairness red policy less to red grenades in my experience!!

It would start in kindergarten here if the Shinwatra clan and the Red Shirts had their way

classroom_rules_all_red_text_poster-r339

A coup is not the answer but if things deteriorate far enough it may be unavoidable.

The govt has never had much of a grip on the security situation and the surreal statements coming out of CAPO don't suggest this is likely to improve suddenly. An immediate change of personnel there would add confidence. But the new acting PM is a lightweight in politics and public administration and may even be indicted in rice pledging scheme. He also probably doesn't have a free hand in moving people close to Thaksin.

Things could break down seriously to the extent that the military has to at least declare martial law in some areas of the country to keep warring factions apart. If what's left of the govt by then doesn't agree that could easily turn into a reluctant coup. Note that Prayuth says the military will use its own judgement, rather than saying he will just follow whatever orders come down the pipe.

Apart from that he is obviously looking forward tremendously to presiding over the very significant reshuffle in September with no political interference whatsoever. What a wonderful way to end a career. Why would he want the stress of a coup and the risk if spending his retirement fighting court cases?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Good post, thanks

One of the best ways to judge a leader is how they leave power

Head up, with dignity and without fear - so far this is the way that the general is heading,

This can not be said other leaders that we see at the moment - its as much fear of what will happen to them when they leave as keeping their noses in the trough,

The one leader that is trained for war is talking peace - all the others are talking war or actions that are likely to lead to war

• Like 2

Prayuth strikes a perfect balance with this statement, taking neither side. The UDD refrain " judicial coup " should be stricken from the vocabulary. It is in effect a built in oxymoron - yet has become the favourite word for anyone that opposes a judicial ruling on any grounds whatsoever. Prayuth reaffirms that the rule of law must be upheld. And indeed it must, and if the judicial process was ever challenged, that would be the point where the army would likely feel compelled to intervene to protect the courts and their rulings. Prayuth has never in his career ever criticized a judicial ruling. So Prayuth is both notable for the things he says and the things he does not say.

Google 'judicial coup' and see the results. Give them a call. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

I did, in fact I have done so a few times. Seems like a somewhat new term but was also used when Egypt got rid of the Muslim brotherhood. Here is the first page I came to, the globalist:

A Judicial Coup in Thailand?

Does Thailand’s future lie In Singapore’s managed democracy?

By Robert Hardy, March 13, 2014

The government of Yingluck Shinawatra may well be deposed by means of court action, rather than by a military coup.

Yingluck’s government is a front used by her corrupt brother, former PM Thaksin, to rule the country......

http://www.theglobalist.com/judicial-coup-in-thailand/

Wow, he only needed 16 words to sum up the whole story xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

Edited by rabas

It's no wonder that Thailand has had so many coups......the standard of politicians must have been equally as bad back in the 30s as they are now.

My only guess is that the education system is seriously flawed, so as not to produce academically competent people.

Over 12 years here in Thailand...no change....and seems that almost no changes for the past 70 years......!

Thaksin wants the army in so he can blub to the wolds press about coups .......they have more intelligence than that~!! Problem is the red shirts are armed en masse by Thaksins friend `hun `sen and have armed police to step aside for them MY QUESTION........why is the pressure put on the army to be fair not put on the police to be fair..........and why is CAPO allowed to act so biased against people protesting?? Red logic, red fairness red policy less to red grenades in my experience!!

And where's our friends from the DSI.....Tarit' absence is decidedly noticable...or has he left the country already ???

The Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has reiterated that a coup d’etat is not the ultimate solution to the political conflict that has dragged on for more than eight years.

Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has conducted himself magnificently.

There was no need for a coup and still is no need for a coup.

Justice has prevailed and the due process of the law is proceeding at a judicial pace.

Long Live The King.

Curiously enough the army finally gets it. Now it may be that the disaster that was the 2006 coup, plus the fact that the US has told him in no uncertain terms that another coup wouldn't be tolerated, but whatever this is good. The 'kiddies' may well have been waiting for Daddy to intervene and solve their problem, but just for once they may have to grow up and actually talk to each other.

This doesn't fit well into the TVF world of Good vs Evil, but grow up boys, the world doesn't work that way!

• Like 1

Why wouldn't reds call it a judicial coup?

The elected government of Thailand just gets thrown out by whatever means the yellows can come up with.

If they want things to settle down get that thug sutep off the streets arrest him and charge him.Allowing him to go on like this does nothing more than cause yet more division.

I hope the army sticks to its word as a coup is the last thing Thailand needs.

Although some on here seem to prefer blood than ballot!

I would like to know what inside info you have that tells you the courts would not have fired and pressed charges against YL and her PTP charter if Suthep was not in the picture and share this with everyone. You are so quick to lay blame on others that i am beginning to think you are a Red Thai fanatic.

The facts are that sooner or later all that happened to YL and her charter would happen anyway because they DID do wrong. Suthep and his followers merely made people see what the Gov was really doing. Eventually someone would have spoken out about it if Suthep had not.

The elected Gov were not thrown out. They went through the same process that you would if the situation placed you there and were fired for their wrongdoings. This is why the Army is following the rule of law and not any party favorite. Get off your high red horse and try to see that without law and order you cant be democratic. Voting is a small part of it only. Your PTP has either blatantly ignored the rule of law or they have attempted to change it to make them exempt. They are not showing they stand for democracy the same Suthep is not showing it with his call for an unelected Gov. At the very least YL made a show to follow the courts ruling however by her remaining quiet to the Reds actions and to their previous call for seperation she has already shown she supports everything evil the PTP have and are planning to do including their so called warnings about a civil war.

These parties have been trying to take power here for years

Why do you think that is when every leader has had a coupe here. It must only be to control the people and the coffers. They both have aleady shown many times their lack of concern for the average citizen. This is not a time to take sides. This is a time to end these parties and bring the honest thai who care about their king, country, and all the people to stand up together and tell those parties to go to he--. Find a new leader who can bring the people together without the REDS and YELLOWS fighting each other for control over thailand.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A coup is not the answer but if things deteriorate far enough it may be unavoidable.

The govt has never had much of a grip on the security situation and the surreal statements coming out of CAPO don't suggest this is likely to improve suddenly. An immediate change of personnel there would add confidence. But the new acting PM is a lightweight in politics and public administration and may even be indicted in rice pledging scheme. He also probably doesn't have a free hand in moving people close to Thaksin.

Things could break down seriously to the extent that the military has to at least declare martial law in some areas of the country to keep warring factions apart. If what's left of the govt by then doesn't agree that could easily turn into a reluctant coup. Note that Prayuth says the military will use its own judgement, rather than saying he will just follow whatever orders come down the pipe.

Apart from that he is obviously looking forward tremendously to presiding over the very significant reshuffle in September with no political interference whatsoever. What a wonderful way to end a career. Why would he want the stress of a coup and the risk if spending his retirement fighting court cases?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The new PM, or the Acting Caretaker Prime Minister to be precise, is another Thaksin marionette. The only difference is this one isn't as pretty. sad.png

Edited by bigbamboo

The elected government of Thailand just gets thrown out by whatever means the yellows can come up with.

If they want things to settle down get that thug sutep off the streets arrest him and charge him.Allowing him to go on like this does nothing more than cause yet more division.

I would like to know what inside info you have that tells you the courts would not have fired and pressed charges against YL and her PTP charter if Suthep was not in the picture and share this with everyone. You are so quick to lay blame on others that i am beginning to think you are a Red Thai fanatic.

The facts are that sooner or later all that happened to YL and her charter would happen anyway because they DID do wrong. Suthep and his followers merely made people see what the Gov was really doing. Eventually someone would have spoken out about it if Suthep had not.

The elected Gov were not thrown out. They went through the same process that you would if the situation placed you there and were fired for their wrongdoings. This is why the Army is following the rule of law and not any party favorite. Get off your high red horse and try to see that without law and order you cant be democratic. Voting is a small part of it only. Your PTP has either blatantly ignored the rule of law or they have attempted to change it to make them exempt. They are not showing they stand for democracy the same Suthep is not showing it with his call for an unelected Gov. At the very least YL made a show to follow the courts ruling however by her remaining quiet to the Reds actions and to their previous call for seperation she has already shown she supports everything evil the PTP have and are planning to do including their so called warnings about a civil war.

Why do you think that is when every leader has had a coupe here. It must only be to control the people and the coffers. They both have aleady shown many times their lack of concern for the average citizen. This is not a time to take sides. This is a time to end these parties and bring the honest thai who care about their king, country, and all the people to stand up together and tell those parties to go to he--. Find a new leader who can bring the people together without the REDS and YELLOWS fighting each other for control over thailand.

That's what elections are for. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the army wants to be useful and purveyors the country fin skidding into civil war, perhaps they can help the EC with securing the next elections since the EC Failed so spectacular the last time.

• Like 2

Curiously enough the army finally gets it. Now it may be that the disaster that was the 2006 coup, plus the fact that the US has told him in no uncertain terms that another coup wouldn't be tolerated, but whatever this is good. The 'kiddies' may well have been waiting for Daddy to intervene and solve their problem, but just for once they may have to grow up and actually talk to each other.

This doesn't fit well into the TVF world of Good vs Evil, but grow up boys, the world doesn't work that way!

Well the coup 2006 didn't work out that good, but:

The military government was the best government I have ever seen in Thailand.....No they weren't good, but all the others were far worse.

From handling things and listen to the public they acted way more democratic than the real democratic governments.

Economically there was no damage. Or maybe there was some damage but not more than the mismanagements that other governments caused.

USA.....Well they support Saudi Arabia......Thailand is large North South. Above is Lao. Below in Malaysia now friendly with USA but traditionally not so friendly. There is big China which is very friendly at the moment. So I doubt USA would hand over Thailand to China because there was a coup.....See Egypt....

But still it isn't the solution.......It is just the last...like a chemotherapie when you have cancer.....

Ah, but the entirety of the international media and academia has been brainwashed by Mr. T, just like the northern buffaloes.

Welcome to Scamperland!

• Like 2

Ah, but the entirety of the international media and academia has been brainwashed by Mr. T, just like the northern buffaloes.

Welcome to Scamperland!

The land of the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys'.

That's what elections are for. Thank you.

Elections? What elections?

Coup d'etat? Military or judicial not necessary.

As I type this post the army that guards the Government House has allowed Suthep to use one of the buildings on the grounds of Government House as his new Headquarters and the PDRC.

PDRC members are camping on the grounds of Channel 5, run by the army and are even provided with shelter and provisions by the RTA.

Come Monday, all Suthep has to do is to march into the main building of Government House and take it over thus, fulfilling his promise of taking matters into his hands.

Does anyone think that Army and police will intervene to prevent that?

Suthep's action will signal the beginning of the end of what could have been Democracy in Thailand.

• Like 2

Prayuth said from the very beginning of the protests that the army is not in the business of coups anymore. There were moments that people would not have been surprised if the army did stage one. At times the yellows wanted a coup, at times the reds. It doesn't seem to happen.

So the only probable alternative seems to be the "judicial coup" as the reds call it. After the shinagang is removed (in prison or in exile) and Suthep retired, new leaders should start the huge job of repairing and developing. Perhaps good old Surin can be persuaded to become a temporary PM? Reconciliation must be possible as the people in the north see the true nature of the shinas clearer and clearer since the rice pledging scam.

Anyone have a suggestion of acceptable and capable leaders?

Indeed. If they continue to stop having coups, people might start talking to them at all. What a good thing that would be.

Good post, thanks

One of the best ways to judge a leader is how they leave power

Head up, with dignity and without fear - so far this is the way that the general is heading,

This can not be said other leaders that we see at the moment - its as much fear of what will happen to them when they leave as keeping their noses in the trough,

The one leader that is trained for war is talking peace - all the others are talking war or actions that are likely to lead to war

And a good post by you, and I mean that. But it's opinion and I happen to have a spanner here so I'll toss it in.

What if? Please consider this possibility. What if Gen Prayuth is doing everything he's doing for the one, sole, only reason that he is desperate to exit in September "with dignity and without fear" that events will come back to bite him very hard? What if he is *afraid" to be like General Sondhi, leader of the 2006 coup, who is reviled by half the country and honoured by no one at all? What if the only motive that Prayuth has is to avoid being another General Suchinda, who masterminded the coup before that, who is remembered by exactly no one for saving the country from the "most corrupt government in history", as he claimed, but for Black September?

What if Prayuth is basing every action - and of course every NON-action - on personal, selfish motives that have nothing at all to do with the fate of the country but only to do with what he believes is the legacy of Prayuth? After all, what he has ACTUALLY done is speak while refusing to act, threatening without ever carrying through.

If he is this man of peace you say he is, why is he always holding out the threat of a coup, stating forthrightly he will NEVER obey the law, but only do what is in the army's interest. So. After all, the threat of a coup is illegal under the law, just as a coup is completely illegal.

So what if the army's interest is not the national interest, but only Prayuth's interest? What if Prayuth is the most single selfish stakeholder in the entire range of powerholders?

Have you considered this?

The thing is that if there is a coup, there will be deaths. I mean, there are already deaths that reflect on Yingluck and Suthep, but not on the army. But every death after a coup will go on Gen Prayuth's record. What if he is deathly afraid and cowardly about that, and fears it so much that he will continue to threaten, intimidate and talk big until Sept 30, so that the retired Gen Prayuth will never be remembered for killing Thais?

Do you think that's possible? Why are you absolutely certain of Prayuth's honour as opposed to his personal selfishness?

Prayuth said from the very beginning of the protests that the army is not in the business of coups anymore. There were moments that people would not have been surprised if the army did stage one. At times the yellows wanted a coup, at times the reds. It doesn't seem to happen.

So the only probable alternative seems to be the "judicial coup" as the reds call it. After the shinagang is removed (in prison or in exile) and Suthep retired, new leaders should start the huge job of repairing and developing. Perhaps good old Surin can be persuaded to become a temporary PM? Reconciliation must be possible as the people in the north see the true nature of the shinas clearer and clearer since the rice pledging scam.

Anyone have a suggestion of acceptable and capable leaders?

Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha

• Like 1