Snake in driveway tonight

BillyBobThai

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the people saying 'which was here first', 'you are in the snakes habitat', 'do you kill everything that moves in your garden?'

Please take a look at the bigger picture.

You are a member of the species responsible for the extinction of more species, destruction of more natural habitat and consumption of more natural resources than every other species put together.

Every other species is part of a natural, balanced order. We are not. We acquire, consume and then throw away.

"But I recycle" I hear you cry - tip of the iceberg. Makes you feel good, but ain't gonna save the planet.

Your nice little home is sat where nature should be. If you're going to preach your holier than thou sermons, walk the walk, don't just talk the talk. Get back to basics. Live in a mud hut somewhere and be in balance with nature.

Snakes enter MY territory, I do what any animal does, I protect my territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Snakes and other wild animals belong in jungles and zoos not in gardens with children!

Doesn't get more ignorant than this. You are in their natural habitat!

So are the lizards and smaller snakes the Banded Krait kills..

Thanks Darwin, for giving us a choice.

^^..46000 deaths from snake bites in India each year ?....crikey.

10 deaths in thailand each year....our message must be getting through, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

Or is it down to snake population control?

With, it would appear, quite a bit of help from thaivisa members.

how did it get up to the 2nd floor? i've never considered that may happen. i always read about villagers getting bitten by banded kraits as they slept on mats downstairs. banded kraits are known to come in the bed and bite victims.

You just killed a Banded Krait ,yes can be fatal to humans,but a very docile

snake,not prone to attack,its main diet is other snakes,so only yourself to

blame if you get over run with Cobras.

Just don't understand why people have just got to kill anything that comes into

their space,,anything that moves,is dispatched without knowing what it actually

is,a little knowledge about what kind of animals are around would be a great help

to a lot of people ,and to the species thats habitat is our gardens,at this rate there

will be nothing left.

Regards Worgeordie

Not quite right Worgeordie

Its very docile IN THE DAY

and can be very AGGRESSIVE at nighttime which is when it hunts

I have purchased 2 snake tongues to handle any snake visitors have a small extenable one for the small snakes and a 5ft Snake tongues to be able to pick it up and sling it over the wall back into the rice fields.

I don't kill them either if i can avoid it.

• Like 1

how did it get up to the 2nd floor? i've never considered that may happen. i always read about villagers getting bitten by banded kraits as they slept on mats downstairs. banded kraits are known to come in the bed and bite victims.

Green and other tree snakes can climb almost anything..... side note, have heard one reason India's high bite rate is the fact that millions of people go into the bush at night because they don't have indoor toilets right into the Russel viper zone.

The Tree Snakes can actually climb up walls as a friend has had them behind photos on the walls several times. Only "give-away" is a bit of tail hanging down. They are not venomous but they tend to bite multiple times when they do strike. I have had them strike my bike shoes and several surrounding objects when startled. Have also seen tree snakes jump over two meters into trees. Quite an amazing creature, but not dangerous like the Kraits.

junglechef, on 13 May 2014 - 10:11, said:

sgtsabai, on 12 May 2014 - 22:28, said:

Yep, chopped down stuff too. Marked mature trees for harvesting, cut many for firewood, it was cold up in the mountains, below freezing for 4/5 months. Yes tree hugger is meant as an insult, make no doubt about it. Little cry babies that know nothing about nothing and wouldn't survive a night in the mountains, much less a month. May the snakes bless and keep you. You have no idea how I fought against over harvesting timber, destroying habitat. I care about the habitat and respect the animals that keep me alive, would always thank them for the food they gave me. Some of my ancestors were hunted by 2 legged animals for their territory, still no territory and no thanks given. No "he-man" just an ordinary guy doing ordinary things that managed to survive some hard times, but I have no crawdad in me. I sure do like to eat them though. Do you tree huggers have anything new to say, besides inadequacies, manly image, you forgot penis envy, jesus h. cristus that is old stuff. Get a life little boys, grow up. There is a real world out here and it will kill you. Now back to snakes, can anybody recommend a good source for ID of the snakes of Thailand, ah I already got acquainted with a bamboo viper over in VN in a century long ago and a world far, far away, he died. From what I have read/seen pictures just don't always do justice and cobras in particular seem come in many colorations.

There's a great website where they just put a free downloadable Thailand snake ID guide called Thailand Snakes . com

As for needing to kill snake in your garden for survival that sounds a bit over the top. I've been in the jungles of Burma, Laos etc for weeks at a time and have occasionally eaten snake as well as other species including a deer we killed and ate raw right out of the carcass as it was the only food available, no problem and pretty tasty but I wasn't down the road from a 7/11.

I hope you get a chance to enjoy the link and perhaps learn some more about the wonderful creatures we share this earth with (how's that for tree huggers stuff thumbsup.gif )

To quote one of the great minds of these times "Why can't we all just get along" (TV posters w/snakes and each other!)

So, you did kill the snake to eat it, are you saying you deliberately set out to kill and eat, or were you so stupid as not to take supplies. Either way, killing it to eat, or killing it to protect your family makes no difference to the snake.

I was invited by some locals to go to thier village. Mind you this was a few years back and when I asked how far it was the reply was "2" implying the number of days it takes to walk there. We also traveled and survived as they traditionally have, by canoe and living off the land for the few weeks that we were out. Mind you we were not poachers or carelessly killing in the jungle that was full of wildlife. Killing an animal for protection is fine, but I doubt is often necessary with a snake, but killing every snake out of ingnorance because one is too lazy to learn which might be a threat, is STUPID!

As mentioned, they are great climbers so presume though a hole in the roof or such somewhere, maybe pushed a mozzi screen open but we usually have locks on them.

Strange but this is the first ever snake I have had inside anywhere and that includes many years in aussie bush.

Very f#$%&d up for you to kill it. Not necessary.

Hello: it was a #$%& Krait! That makes it VERY necessary!

Here is an example of how it should be done......

I yell to son to go grab the snake stick outside......run upstairs and girl is on the bed pointing to where it went, she kept an eye on it so we knew which room it was in. Son runs up stairs, hands me catchem stick....I move a basket and big green snake runs between my legs....we all scream and do a little dance, as even at that stage I did not know what type it was....she said green and big, so I thought maybe really big pit viper.

It scuttles into my bedroom, boy gets orders to stand on bed and keep an eye out where it goes.....I move the cupboard and there it is, beautiful big golden tree snake, biggest one I have seen.......catch it

Golden tree snake: Yes absolutely. And I've done this myself. (Just without my kids all over the place. :/ )

Banded Krait, or anything else really venomous: Don't think so. tongue.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I yell to son to go grab the snake stick outside......run upstairs and girl is on the bed pointing to where it went, she kept an eye on it so we knew which room it was in. Son runs up stairs, hands me catchem stick....I move a basket and big green snake runs between my legs....we all scream and do a little dance, as even at that stage I did not know what type it was....she said green and big, so I thought maybe really big pit viper.

It scuttles into my bedroom, boy gets orders to stand on bed and keep an eye out where it goes.....I move the cupboard and there it is, beautiful big golden tree snake, biggest one I have seen.......catch it

Golden tree snake: Yes absolutely. And I've done this myself. (Just without my kids all over the place. :/ )

Banded Krait, or anything else really venomous: Don't think so. tongue.png

I still do it with any snake....although have not encountered a krait or cobra in a have to catch and remove it situation here yet....if one of them in the bedroom, I will most likely still do it but close the bedroom door and tell kids to listen for a loud scream...then call ambulance if heard.

I find it amazing that someone chooses to live in a place where they know there are snakes, and other wildlife before they move in, and then consider it alright to destroy the animals, simply because you feel safer that way.. Should you not have thought about this before you moved into an area (eg. close to ricefields) that have a snake population.. Should you not also, maybe teach your children that snakes are good, and even though some are deadly, they should have a healthy respect for all animals, and just basically leave them alone. If you see a snake on your grounds, then have a snaketong, and simply remove the snake to another area.. Not hard. But your kids see you doing something good + you actually are helping the situation, and not making it worse by killing the poor animal. 99 out of 100 snakebites happens because the person are an idiot! Leave the animal alone, and it will leave you alone. If you try mess oround with it, it will bite you. Simple.

Edited by hawkeye76
  • Like 2

Daughter yells out from upstairs... "SNAAAAAKE"

I yell to son to go grab the snake stick outside......run upstairs and girl is on the bed pointing to where it went, she kept an eye on it so we knew which room it was in.

Son runs up stairs, hands me catchem stick....I move a basket and big green snake runs between my legs....we all scream and do a little dance, as even at that stage I did not know what type it was....she said green and big, so I thought maybe really big pit viper.

It scuttles into my bedroom, boy gets orders to stand on bed and keep an eye out where it goes.....I move the cupboard and there it is, beautiful big golden tree snake, biggest one I have seen.......catch it, very docile and release it across the road into a tree and kids love watching it climb to the top....

Very cool anecdote. Thank you for sharing with us.

I find it amazing that someone chooses to live in a place where they know there are snakes, and other wildlife before they move in, and then consider it alright to destroy the animals, simply because you feel safer that way.. Should you not have thought about this before you moved into an area (eg. close to ricefields) that have a snake population..

Hate to say this, but the one snake I had to deal with (catch inside the house and release outside) was right downtown in central Chiang Mai. You get snakes just about everywhere here.

Oh, you find your snakes outside the house? That's nice.

I find them in the kitchen.attachicon.gifsnake under toaster.jpg

This was a catch and release.

Ha, another golden tree snake. Yes, I let those live too. They are mildly venomous so you don't want to get bitten too often / too long, but overall mostly harmless.

I appreciate, and I'm sure the snake does too ( perhaps even more) that you don't kill them but wonder since you seem to be a caring and a animal respecting individual why you feel it is necessary to kill the venemous species. I relocate them and would like to know why you don't as well.

I find it amazing that someone chooses to live in a place where they know there are snakes, and other wildlife before they move in, and then consider it alright to destroy the animals, simply because you feel safer that way.. Should you not have thought about this before you moved into an area (eg. close to ricefields) that have a snake population.. Should you not also, maybe teach your children that snakes are good, and even though some are deadly, they should have a healthy respect for all animals, and just basically leave them alone. If you see a snake on your grounds, then have a snaketong, and simply remove the snake to another area.. Not hard. But your kids see you doing something good + you actually are helping the situation, and not making it worse by killing the poor animal. 99 out of 100 snakebites happens because the person are an idiot! Leave the animal alone, and it will leave you alone. If you try mess oround with it, it will bite you. Simple.

+1 Good onya.

Wiki: "Banded kraits are shy, not typically seen, and are mainly nocturnal. When harassed, they will usually hide their heads under their coils, and do not generally attempt to bite,...The snakes are lethargic and sluggish even under provocation."

You are a pussy.

• Like 2

I appreciate, and I'm sure the snake does too ( perhaps even more) that you don't kill them but wonder since you seem to be a caring and a animal respecting individual why you feel it is necessary to kill the venemous species. I relocate them and would like to know why you don't as well.

Not everyone is confident to handle an animal that could kill them....or be quick enough....

• Like 2

That's a good reason which makes sense for a snake in the house or a small enclosed garden but I still believe if it's outside it will continue going where it was going or where it came from if left alone

I find it amazing that someone chooses to live in a place where they know there are snakes, and other wildlife before they move in, and then consider it alright to destroy the animals, simply because you feel safer that way.. Should you not have thought about this before you moved into an area (eg. close to ricefields) that have a snake population..

Hate to say this, but the one snake I had to deal with (catch inside the house and release outside) was right downtown in central Chiang Mai. You get snakes just about everywhere here.

Hi,

I live in CM (san sai), but have never seen a snake in or around my house. I would love it if i did ;-)

Some people are just more lucky than others..

I know that there is snakes around CM, but mostly they are found in green hapitat outside the city.

Im guessing because CM have so much water, and plenty of rats, so the snakes dont think twice about relocating.

The are perfectly at home in the center.. But its not a problem..

Most of snakes you will see are non deadly, (except cobra, malayan pitviper and kraits++)..

Again.. No matter what.. If someone sees a snake, in or around their house, then remove it, or call someone to remove it. Have it brought to another place where it can have better life, without contact with people.

Me, or the zoo, or who ever that knows what they are doing.. Doesnt matter! There is no reason to kill it. Put a box/bucket over the snake and leave it until you can get help, or remove it safely from your area, out to the jungle, close to a water source.

If I make a mistake with a golden tree snake then I don't die.

If I set a golden tree snake free and it comes back then it won't kill my children.

This does not apply to cobras, vipers and the like. I want to make sure those don't come back! ;)

• Like 2

If I set a golden tree snake free and it comes back then it won't kill my children.

This does not apply to cobras, vipers and the like. I want to make sure those don't come back! wink.png

Why not just relocate the cobra or whatever snake it can be, further away from your house..

If you can relocate it all, it means you have it under somewhat control, and should be able to place it in a container of some sort.. Then drive a little out of the city with it.. Or is that asking to much..

This does not apply to cobras, vipers and the like. I want to make sure those don't come back! wink.png

Why not just relocate the cobra or whatever snake it can be, further away from your house..

If you can relocate it all, it means you have it under somewhat control, and should be able to place it in a container of some sort.. Then drive a little out of the city with it.. Or is that asking to much..

I don't have an issue with relocating the snake IF somebody else can catch it. I'm not risking getting bit.

• Like 1