Ed Visa Rundown

varange

I assume that Ed Visas will gain new popularity with all the hoo-haw about border runs.

I just went through the exercise myself last week and am happy to share some knowledge:

• You're looking at paying about B20k for a year's tuition. Typically you get 160 lessons for this, and most of all, you'll learn to speak Thai or speak it better, whichever the case may be. Do it! The school I go to has great teachers, a fun environment, and Thai is a lovely language to learn.
  • The school will do the paperwork for you. It's quite a process for them getting all the documents ready for your visa application. This should be included in the price.
  • You then need to get to Vientiane to the Thai Embassy there. Either fly there or take the overnight bus. I took the bus: it was comfortable and luxurious as ever. I bought the ticket at Bus Station No2 in CM for 646 Baht each way.
  • The bus will take you to Udon Thani where you will arrive early in the morning. There you get a minibus to take you to the border (50 Baht - don't get scammed into paying 300 Baht)
  • You'll go through the Thai border post, then catch a horrible old bus for 20 Baht to the Lao border, then marvel at the Hammer and Sickle flag on the flagposts, and then stand in queues until you get into Lao. Here again take some vehicle to the Thai Embassy (go there right away as you need to get a queue number). No more than 60 Baht this time.
  • There are a few hotels around the embassy. A good one will cost 800 Baht. Less salubrious surroundings will cost 500 Baht.
  • You will now note that when the planet gets an enema, Vientiane is the place the pipe is inserted. Expensive, dirty, horrible tuk-tuks, ripoff artists as tuk-tuk drivers. The good news is you'll have a whole new appreciation for Thailand after two days of Lao
  • So you hand in your paperwork at the embassy, wait overnight, pick up your visa the next day, and head back to paradise.

If anyone here needs some assistance or advise about the whole exercise and about Language Schools, feel free to contact me.

<deleted>

Edited by Tywais
Phone number removed as per forum rules and privacy issues
  • Like 2

Anyone have a list of current language school prices?

There are some new players in town like the Korea Cultural center which is 18,000 but does not include some fees.

I go to Easy Study Thai at Pantip which is 21K which includes most of the fees.

Any new schools or prices to report out there?

I find the EasyStudyThai school at Pantip Plaza is quite good. The staff are very helpful.

Quite early on, I notice that many of the farang men, as well as being disillusioned with their Western lives, have brought their cynical attitudes here to the land of smiles. Of course you have to be wary wherever you live, and we need to discriminate - it's not politically incorrect, it's only sensible! But I find the cynical remarks about others to be mean-spirited, especially when you know nothing about the person at all.

PS I didn't enjoy my trip to Vientiane either. I was so happy to arrive back in Chiang Mai... what a great place.

Wonder why Hugh is so anxious to assist with language school enrollment.... 2 days in Laos and you trash the place, most here know it is a lovely land with great people....

Oh wow! Yes, I wonder why. Well, it turns out that some people do help others for no particular reason other than helping. Yes, you will be surprised to hear that, I understand. Maybe where you came from is different; I don't know. Anyway, I heard that paranoia is a treatable condition.

And yes, you are right. I didn't like Laos. At all. I expressed my opinion. You have a different opinion and that is fine. Express it by all means. But don't act as though "most here" etc etc. Again, this is just your opinion. It's fine to express an opinion - to act as though it is fact is simply a case of being untruthful.

As for the "wonder why" bit: if you have nothing useful other than aspersions to add to the conversation then maybe saying nothing at all is a good idea.

Just my opinion. Not objective fact.

Calm down cowboy, from the tone of your post, your newbee status and the highly unusual posting of a phone number made me wonder what was up. Like you may possibly have had a "service" or school to promote. Now, I don't think so, maybe you are simply unpleasantly "helpful".

I find the EasyStudyThai school at Pantip Plaza is quite good. The staff are very helpful.

Quite early on, I notice that many of the farang men, as well as being disillusioned with their Western lives, have brought their cynical attitudes here to the land of smiles. Of course you have to be wary wherever you live, and we need to discriminate - it's not politically incorrect, it's only sensible! But I find the cynical remarks about others to be mean-spirited, especially when you know nothing about the person at all.

PS I didn't enjoy my trip to Vientiane either. I was so happy to arrive back in Chiang Mai... what a great place.

Well I did find it a bit unusual the put down of Laos. As I have for the most part heard nothing but good or OK about it.

The OP did not state observations he plain out and out made a negative statement. He is new and you are new. As I said I have never heard any thing really bad about Vientiane. Now I hear one run it into the ground. I don't know what you really mean did you find the travel unenjoyably which I will concur with as I have never made it but I have made several long bus rides. Or did you also find Vientiane to be unenjoyably.

I have read many reports of going there and getting the visa but never two in so few a posts and both from new comers dishing Vientiane. I do intend to make the trip myself next year. The wife is Thai and looking forward to it.

At any rate I am sure you can understand my bewilderment. Not particularly your post as you did leave room for Vientiane to be OK but indicated it wasn't.

Wonder why Hugh is so anxious to assist with language school enrollment.... 2 days in Laos and you trash the place, most here know it is a lovely land with great people....

Oh wow! Yes, I wonder why. Well, it turns out that some people do help others for no particular reason other than helping. Yes, you will be surprised to hear that, I understand. Maybe where you came from is different; I don't know. Anyway, I heard that paranoia is a treatable condition.

And yes, you are right. I didn't like Laos. At all. I expressed my opinion. You have a different opinion and that is fine. Express it by all means. But don't act as though "most here" etc etc. Again, this is just your opinion. It's fine to express an opinion - to act as though it is fact is simply a case of being untruthful.

As for the "wonder why" bit: if you have nothing useful other than aspersions to add to the conversation then maybe saying nothing at all is a good idea.

Just my opinion. Not objective fact.

Calm down cowboy, from the tone of your post, your newbee status and the highly unusual posting of a phone number made me wonder what was up. Like you may possibly have had a "service" or school to promote. Now, I don't think so, maybe you are simply unpleasantly "helpful".

Certainly looks that why and I expect Thai visa will be over run with these types of posts in the near future.

Now that the border runs are coming to an end, these so-called schools are going to try and cash in on what some may describe as a crisis, rather than a blessing as I do.

As what happened in the UK some years and is probably still happening there today, I have no doubts that some dodgy outfits will be set up specially designed to obtain education visas for the road runners that will soon not be able to stay here by other means.

Hopefully the Thai authorities will also come to realise this and place more scrutiny on these schools and their students.

• Like 1

Well I did find it a bit unusual the put down of Laos. As I have for the most part heard nothing but good or OK about it.

The OP did not state observations he plain out and out made a negative statement. He is new and you are new. As I said I have never heard any thing really bad about Vientiane. Now I hear one run it into the ground. I don't know what you really mean did you find the travel unenjoyably which I will concur with as I have never made it but I have made several long bus rides. Or did you also find Vientiane to be unenjoyably.

I have read many reports of going there and getting the visa but never two in so few a posts and both from new comers dishing Vientiane. I do intend to make the trip myself next year. The wife is Thai and looking forward to it.

At any rate I am sure you can understand my bewilderment. Not particularly your post as you did leave room for Vientiane to be OK but indicated it wasn't.

I've been to Vientiane and Luang Prabang a few times. I may go again this year (I really want to go to Angkor Wat this year). I don't remember having a bad experience in my dealing with the Lao people. Last time I went I took the Aya van from ChiangMai. It stops in Nong Khai for breakfast and then took me to the boarder where I went through immigration. The van then picked me back up and directly to my hotel in Vientiane. Yes it was a long trip in a van, but IMHO it the best way to go by land unless you drive yourself. BTW - The round trip cost was just about the same as the round trip bus cost that the OP wrote about. My Thai GF went too. She had a couple of sites (temples) she specifically wanted to see and got a kick out of the fact she could easily have a conversation with the Lao people (similar language). I found the Lao people to be very gentle, reasonable people including the taxi/tuk-tuk drivers. Transportation inside of Lao (cross country buses) aren't very nice IMHO. I flew to/from Vientiane - Luang Prabang. It was a reasonable fare as I remember. Flying domestically was much less than the international flight fare (Thailand to Lao). Doing a visa run isn't fun, I get it, but there is a lot of truth in the saying "Change your attitude, change your experience."

Edited by chiangmaiman99

I've been to Vientiane and Luang Prabang a few times. I may go again this year (I really want to go to Angkor Wat this year). I don't remember having a bad experience in my dealing with the Lao people. Last time I went I took the Aya van from ChiangMai. It stops in Nong Khai for breakfast and then took me to the boarder where I went through immigration. The van then picked me back up and directly to my hotel in Vientiane. Yes it was a long trip in a van, but IMHO it the best way to go by land unless you drive yourself. BTW - The round trip cost was just about the same as the round trip bus cost that the OP wrote about. My Thai GF went too. She had a couple of sites (temples) she specifically wanted to see and got a kick out of the fact she could easily have a conversation with the Lao people (similar language). I found the Lao people to be very gentle, reasonable people including the taxi/tuk-tuk drivers. Transportation inside of Lao (cross country buses) aren't very nice IMHO. I flew to/from Vientiane - Luang Prabang. It was a reasonable fare as I remember. Flying domestically was much less than the international flight fare (Thailand to Lao). Doing a visa run isn't fun, I get it, but there is a lot of truth in the saying "Change your attitude, change your experience."

Been to Angkor Wat three times. Definatly a trip worth taking. The third time I went was to meet my uncle who was finishing up a tour in China there. Pretty awesome place. When London had a population of 50,000 it had a population of 1,000,000.

• Like 1

Certainly looks that why and I expect Thai visa will be over run with these types of posts in the near future.

Now that the border runs are coming to an end, these so-called schools are going to try and cash in on what some may describe as a crisis, rather than a blessing as I do.

As what happened in the UK some years and is probably still happening there today, I have no doubts that some dodgy outfits will be set up specially designed to obtain education visas for the road runners that will soon not be able to stay here by other means.

Hopefully the Thai authorities will also come to realise this and place more scrutiny on these schools and their students.

Yes, I agree. I was hoping to get a discussion going about schools, which ones are good, which not. And the technicalities of getting to and from Vientiane. Sadly it brings the maggots out of the woodwork and now it has become a free-for-all about Laos. Dang.

Thriving schools with ED Visas and Visa Assist places, are obviously operating together with the authorities otherwise they'd be out of business.

Do you have any proof of this or is it just a nasty speculation?

For anyone interested, YMCA has got is accreditation and is now doing ED visa's on class or private tuition. Husband and others I know who have attended have always had nothing but praise, and I suppose profits from classes goes to good(ish) causes.

Thriving schools with ED Visas and Visa Assist places, are obviously operating together with the authorities otherwise they'd be out of business.

Do you have any proof of this or is it just a nasty speculation?

Nothing nasty about it, maybe wording is wrong.

Thriving schools with ED Visas and Visa Assist places, are obviously operating together working legally in close cooperation with the authorities, otherwise they'd be out of business.

For use of either service, I would be reassured if they have close cooperation with the authorities.

Edited by uptheos

Yes, I agree. I was hoping to get a discussion going about schools, which ones are good, which not. And the technicalities of getting to and from Vientiane. Sadly it brings the maggots out of the woodwork and now it has become a free-for-all about Laos. Dang.

If you want a discussion of schools start a thread on it.

Not degrade Laos. You are just a new comer here and many people have been there and disagree with you.

You should have kept your mouth shut on the subject.

As for schools there are apparently many of them. But not every one has the same results they need a different approach. You apparently have your school tell us about it. Tell us how it is working out for you are you learning.

For what it is worth I will not go back to AUA.

Forget the travel advice and what you perceive Vientiane to be. Stick to your headline.

Anyone have a list of current language school prices?

There are some new players in town like the Korea Cultural center which is 18,000 but does not include some fees.

I go to Easy Study Thai at Pantip which is 21K which includes most of the fees.

Any new schools or prices to report out there?

hi its includ every 3 month 1900 baht or not

and includ price of visa also ?

Well I read it for what it is, nothing new with the Thai immigration. They truly have no interest in the foreign spouse, visitor or workers they just want to extract as much revenue from them as they can, same story all over Thailand. I only plan to visit the family there for a few weeks once in a blue moon until they start to make me feel truly welcome as the husband and father of one of there nationals, and stop treating me like a criminal. 90 day reporting was bad, also having to supply them with photos of me and my family at our home, this final insult of fingerprinting is for me truly OTT.

The Thai welcome mat is very small indeed.

@Beetlejuice - Why do you care how someone stays here or if they are legit students or not? You sound like a grumpy, hateful old man. Perhaps you are not and you're as joyful as Santa Clause, but wishing ill upon others because they found a way to short cut the system, sure does make you look that way. It shouldn't bother anyone what another person does or doesn't do for their visa. Never seen so many haters and grumpy farts in my life as some of you around here.

@uptheos - You are 100% spot on. Immigration is in cahoots with many these companies, that's how it all keeps going and going and going. As illegal as they say it is, those companies can do it for you and you never have to do a run yourself. No hassles, no worry. Well, no worry so long as one of the grumps around town doesn't rat you out to immigration.

• Like 1

@Beetlejuice - Why do you care how someone stays here or if they are legit students or not? You sound like a grumpy, hateful old man. Perhaps you are not and you're as joyful as Santa Clause, but wishing ill upon others because they found a way to short cut the system, sure does make you look that way. It shouldn't bother anyone what another person does or doesn't do for their visa. Never seen so many haters and grumpy farts in my life as some of you around here.

@uptheos - You are 100% spot on. Immigration is in cahoots with many these companies, that's how it all keeps going and going and going. As illegal as they say it is, those companies can do it for you and you never have to do a run yourself. No hassles, no worry. Well, no worry so long as one of the grumps around town doesn't rat you out to immigration.

Grumpy and hateful I`ll give you that, but resent the old man part.

Sorry but you are dead wrong. Those that abuse the system have an indirect affect on me and my future in Thailand, by placing all ex-pats under more scrutiny and having the knock on affect of tightening up the visa rules and regulations for all of us. This results in the Immigration Departments categorising all Western visa applicants as being probable dodgers and as cheating their way into staying long term in Thailand, which means, we have to jump through more hoops and break through more hurdles so as to prove our legitimacy here.

In my opinion those who cheat and abuse the system are a burden not only to the Thai authorities but also for the bona-fife ex-pats already living here.

In short, there are many that are looking for all kinds of loopholes and back-door methods to stay in Thailand, and the authorities know this

I don't buy the, "it makes it harder for me if other people abuse the system" argument either. If somebody has a visa based on marriage or retirement (or whatever) then I don't see how somebody abusing an ED visa by not actually studying would affect them in any way at all (or somebody doing back to back border runs for visa-exempt entries). It might make them scrutinise people with ED visas more closely, to make sure that they are actually studying but that's not going to affect anybody who is actually studying either.

I don't buy the, "it makes it harder for me if other people abuse the system" argument either. If somebody has a visa based on marriage or retirement (or whatever) then I don't see how somebody abusing an ED visa by not actually studying would affect them in any way at all (or somebody doing back to back border runs for visa-exempt entries). It might make them scrutinise people with ED visas more closely, to make sure that they are actually studying but that's not going to affect anybody who is actually studying either.

I tend to agree with you.

I get my yearly extension in 15 minutes and the border runners haven't inconvenienced me one iota.

I know a couple of people using Walen and are very pleased.

Sure their main reason is for the visa, but both agree it's been useful to learn some Thai at the same time.

Nice guys.

I'm not completely comfortable with the way Walen chooses to promote itself but it's no biggie. If they're providing Thai lessons and offering assistance with obtaining ED visas, they're not doing anything wrong. I don't really care how other people obtain their visas either, or even whether they have one at all. Can't see what there is to get so worked up about.

Re. the OP, I'm surprised you took such a dislike to Vientiane. I found it to be quite boring on the three occasions I stayed there but not particularly dirty. I prefer to stay the night in Udon when flying to Vientiane and get a taxi early the next morning. It's a bit risky if you like a drink though and it didn't pan out so well for me last time. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Edited by inthepink

I'll give him a pass on his opinion of Vientiane. The first time I went there I also came away with a terrible opinion of the place, pretty much the same. After doing several visa runs, I've learned a little more about the city, and Laos in general - so now I find its not so terrible, and I'm able to enjoy myself well enough while there. But that first trip still casts a sour shadow over the place for me, its not something I look forward to, and I'm pretty happy to get back over the river. So at least in my view, there's a reason for this opinion, I had the same type of experience.

The ONLY way I would do Thailand is on an ED Visa, and I have done it before. However, I have met many older gentleman who simply are overwhelmed with the new language. They can't catch up, and simply drop out. I also remember two classes that started with 15 and ended with about 7. I really learned a lot, and it was worth the money. The trip to Laos did cost an extra $400 USD, so factor that in (unless you get ED visa before initially entering Thailand). Why have more headaches than necessary? So, I think it's case-by-case on if this makes the most sense. You will get the jokers who are super serious, the slackers, the complainers, the super shy, the attractive females, show up late every day, smart, etc......so be prepared.

If you want a discussion of schools start a thread on it.

Not degrade Laos. You are just a new comer here and many people have been there and disagree with you.

You should have kept your mouth shut on the subject.

As for schools there are apparently many of them. But not every one has the same results they need a different approach. You apparently have your school tell us about it. Tell us how it is working out for you are you learning.

For what it is worth I will not go back to AUA.

Forget the travel advice and what you perceive Vientiane to be. Stick to your headline.

Are you the Laos tourist authority? &lt;deleted&gt; the guy wrote a report and expressed an opinion about a place visited.

Not everyone likes the same things as you!

• Like 1