'Stray rocket' obliterates Yasothon house

webfact

'Stray Rocket' Obliterates Yasothon House
By Khaosod English

13998893651399889458l.jpg
Damage from a Bang Fai rocket that crashed into a Yasothon house, 12 May 2014.

YASOTHON — A residence in Yasothon province has been severely damaged by a stray rocket that was launched during a nearby traditional rain-seeking ceremony.

More than 10 missiles, called Bang Fai, were launched in the ceremony in accordance with the folk belief that rockets must be fired into the sky to request rain from the Gods for each year’s rainy season.

One of the four metre long rocks landed on a residence in Moo 1 of Ban Kwang village, approximately three kilometres away from its launch site at Phaya Thaan Park in Meang district.

The missile slammed into the side of the house, creating a 50-metre long hole in the concrete wall and damaging a number of furniture pieces inside.

The owner of the house, Somboon Proptrai, 54, said no one was at home at the time of the incident. She said she was visiting a neighbor when the missile struck, and ran back to her residence as soon as she heard the news. No one was injured by the missile, she added.

"Fortunately no fire was started inside my house," Ms. Somboon said.

The ceremony was halted when Ms. Somboon informed its organisers about the crash. A total of 30 traditional rockets were supposed to be launched today.

Officials at Yasothon District Office, which organised the ceremony, said an insurance company will compensate Ms. Somboon for the damages. The incident is under investigation, officials said.

The launching of Bang Fai rockets have led to several injuries and fatalities in the past.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1399889365

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-12

"creating a 50-metre long hole in the concrete wall"

Wow ! Big house ! Sure hope the Talibanners over here don't change over from the 105mm Chinese rockets they keep firing at our camp. It sounds like those Thai "Bang Fai" rockets are far more accurate and devastating !

We had a 105mm rocket explode in the cab of one of our work trucks one night, pretty much totaled it as you can imagine, but think what could have been if a rocket that can make a 50 meter long hole in a concrete wall had of hit it !

(Unless of course the news article meant to say a ".5" meter long hole in the wall, in which case never mind.)

• Like 1

This rain-making ceremony (firing rockets into the sky to please the gods) was organised by Officials at Yasothon District Office. Officials, not candle-munching brahmins. And, the launching of Bang Fai rockets has led to several injuries and fatalities in the past. Common sense? Critical thinking?

I read the article which reported 50 centimetres -- I never saw a house around Yasothon 50 METRES long and I was there on Tuesday & Wednesday watching them build the things (photos tomorrow if I remember).

I first saw this "Festival " 13 years ago and it was frenetic. The launchers never know where the rockets will inevitably land and I guess (true to form) nobody really cares as long as everyone gets drunk & has a good time.

They are very crude devices, no INS here, and the smaller ones can be seen being launched out of people's hands, usually while drunk, which 2 years ago in my village (40km Sth of Yaso) cost a teenager 3 fingers when it exploded in his hand and they still continue to do it ... amazing Thailand, amazing people.

They are very crude devices, no INS here, and the smaller ones can be seen being launched out of people's hands, usually while drunk, which 2 years ago in my village (40km Sth of Yaso) cost a teenager 3 fingers when it exploded in his hand and they still continue to do it ... amazing Thailand, amazing people.

Oh dear,how is he going to open a bottle of lao khao now ?

2006 featured the most amazing accident in Yaso. That year was at the height of thai rak thai and taksin and instead of the usual bang fai meun and larger bang fai saen there was a thai rak thai sponsored bang fai laan that was the biggest one ever launched by far. There was a very long wait with much fanfare before the rocket was finally ignited by an electric bolt on the launchpad. It hesitated for a few seconds before turning on the packed crowd and flew barely over everyone's heads. According to the lapers next day it demolished a puncture repair shop at a gas station narrowly missing the pumps. The repair guy, thankfully, was in the loo at the time.

An amazing festival , completely bonkers and very dangerous.

1998 was the real tragic year however. There had been no major accidents for many years and in my naivety i took a school party with a colleague up to the festival. We had a wonderful time that no one has ever forgotten not least for the reason that our lives were spared. I decided it was getting too late for a timely return to Bangkok so around half past one we took our minibus back home to Krung Thep. Some minutes after leaving a bang fai saen turned on the crowd and killed four people instantly just where we had been standing. I told my headmaster on our return that i would never take schoolchildren to the festival again, though some years later, in 2006 i took a party of teachers! Bang Fai festivals are held all over the north east...stand well back!