From Khao Lak to Penang (malaysia) and back.

Hi everybody,

Im traveling around in Asia and found a nice place to volunteer in Khao Lak (teaching).

The NGO provided me documents for a 90 days Visa which I should get in a neighbouring country. Since Penang is the closest place to get to a consulate I would like to do a quick and cheap run and back.

I have asked around here and there is a minibus service with 1 night stay included for 4000 baht. Are there other ways, maybe cheaper to do this trip? I need to go within the next few days.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A transfer by minibus from Khao Lak to Penang costs 950 Baht. The minibus goes straight to Chulia street in Penang, which is packed with cheap guesthouses, easy to find something yourself on arrival. Any travel agency should be able to book this transfer for you. Most guesthouses at Chulia Street/Penang, like for instance the Swiss Guesthouse, will be able to book a seat on the minibus back to Khao Lak.

Edited by keestha

Thank you for replying.

950 baht for mini bus is interesting, if I can take a minibus for around the same price back?

I will have to add the costs for a guesthouse, food/drinks and transport to the consulate. So maybe in total between 3000 and 4000 baht? Just trying to get an idea... :)

I am going to some travel agencies today too. Will post my findings.

Okay, so I booked the common mini-van service, running between Phuket/Khok Kloy and penang (4000 baht). I will take a local bus here in Khao Lak to Khok Kloy, where they will pick me up at the central bus station and off we go to Penang.

The service includes breakfast and lunch and a night at a 3* hotel, because they need a day to process the visas (unless you arrive early in the morning, you can pick it up late in the afternoon around 15:30-16:00). They will also bring and return you to/from the consulate. Once everything is done, they bring me back to Khok Kloy, where I will get back to Khao Lak.

So that was the easy way...

I could've taken only the transport to penang, which costs 1000 baht for he mini-van. But you will have to arrange your return transport in Penang. And ofcourse a guesthouse (if you dont arrive early in the morning) and food/drinks etc.

For people on low budget and enough time. You can grab a bus to Hat Yai (buses leave anywhere from here) and get yourself to Penang. More of a hassle but surely least expensive.

Thanks for thinking along people. Hopefully someone, some day, will find this information usefull.