Unsure When To Apply For Uk Vv

Hi

I have just read the folowing from this WEBSITE

"(You can ask for it to be post-dated for up to three months if you do not plan to travel immediately.)"

My Thai GF wishes to apply for a UK VV and she wishes to come to the UK either in late December or early next year. And only for 4 weeks.

I am currently in Thailand and will be untill the end of August.

We was thinking of applying for the visa in August so I could be here when she applies for it, but from what the above states it sound like we can't apply untill we get to within 3 months of when she wishes to come.

For example if she wishes to come on 20th December she can't apply until roughly 20th September.

Is this right?

If so I spose we could apply 10th August and say she wishes to travel 1st November - 1st Decmber. Then the visa would be valid from 1st November for 6 months True? Thus allowing her to travel to England on the dates she originally wished aslong as she travels after 1st November and returns before the vias expires. Correct?

OR

Does she apply stating the dates she wants to travel 20th December till 20th January and if we applied on 10th August and the visa was granted would the embassy just post date it for the max of 3 months so the visa would be valid from 10th November for 6 months allowing her to travel on 20th December for 4 weeks.

Which way should we go about this?

Thank you all for your help in advance!

Ash :o

Hi Ash,

The visa confers leave to enter for 6 months, so your g/f can visit for any 4-week period during that time.

If, for example, her visa were to be issued on 1-8-2006 and post-dated until 1-11-2006, it would be valid until 1-5-2007, and she could fulfil her intention to visit in Dec/Jan 06/07.

Just make sure that you make it clear, in writing, to the embassy that you want the visa post-dating, although they are not obliged to do so.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Just make sure that you make it clear, in writing, to the embassy that you want the visa post-dating, although they are not obliged to do so.

I was affraid they might not be obliged to.

I have had a friend apply for a visa in June and it was granted on 10th June but she isn't travelling untill August and she said the visa valid date was from the date she wishes to travel.

Is this what happpens? If your date of travel is within the 3 months post dating period will they make the visa valid from the date of travel not the date they grant it?

Cheers for your help!!

Edited by agsnowdon

Is this what happpens? If your date of travel is within the 3 months post dating period will they make the visa valid from the date of travel not the date they grant it?
Yes, if the applicant asks for the visa to be post dated then the valid from date will be the date they asked for, not the date the visa was granted.

So do you think if we apply in august and ask them to post date the visa for the max of 3 months it will be ok?

Or should we wait untill we get to within 3 months of the travel date and apply then?

Reason for applying so early is that I'm only in the country till september and would like to be here when she gets the result.

Thanks for your help

Ash, I have a feeling that if she applies in August and says that she wants to travel in late December/early January then she'll be told to come back nearer the time.

Could we apply in August and say she wishes to travel in October and ask them to post date the visa to the date of travel?

Then that would give her enough visa time to come in Dec/Jan?

Or do you think we would be running a risk as Scouse said they are no obliged to post date the visa.

Thats for your input!!! :o

They are not obliged to post date the visa, but probably would.

The risk I see, though, is that if they are unsure about her returning, but not unsure enough to refuse, then they could ask her when she is travelling and how long she is going to stay, and then get her to sign an undertaking to return and restrict the visa to a single entry. If she then didn't use the visa within the dates on the undertaking she may will find that she couldn't use it at all!

I can understand you wanting to be with her when she applies, but it is not as daunting a task as some here would have you believe. Rather than going down this complicated route you seem to have chosen, simply prepare the application for her, then in October/November send her updated bank statements etc and she can apply then. That way she wont have to start off her application by lying to them!