Farangs Getting Married in Thailand?

Spouse

Hi all,

Just trying to find out what the procedure is for two farangs (British) to get married in Thailand?

We don't want an actual wedding, just the paperwork (romantic eh!) for a spouse visa based on one partner working in Thailand

Any one know anything about this and how long it takes to be completed from start to finish (applying, doing the deed, getting the documentation)?

We are in Bangkok so somewhere local would be handy.

Thanks very much.

You can probably do it in 2 days.

Day 1, go to Embassy for Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, get them translated, go to Ministry Of Foreign Affairs and have the documents legalised.

Day 2, go to Amphur and get married, this took 30 minutes for us in Banglamung

http://www.thaiimmigration.org/amphur-offices-in-bangkok.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k7216963-Ministry_foreign_affairs_legalization_of_affirmation-Bangkok.html

However, I think you MAY be mistaken in the belief that you can get a spouse visa to stay in Thailand, I am pretty sure they are reserved for people who are married to a Thai national.

Edited by The Fat Controller

Can foreigners get legally married here ?

Yes they can, same procedure as for marrying a Thai, but you need to have been in Thailand 3 days before the process, so if arriving from abroad allow 4 days.

MARRIAGE PROCEDURES FOR FOREIGNERS:

Foreigners who are wishing to marry shall appear in person with their respective passports and arrival card at their Embassy in Thailand to complete declarations attesting that he/ she is single and free to marry in accordance with Thai Law and the registration shall be effected by a Thai Diplomatic or Consular Officer.

1. Take the completed declaration to a reputable translation office to have the contents of the declaration translated into Thai.
  2. The documents together with translation and copies of passports have to be taken to the Legalization Division of Consular Affairs Department, where the Consular Official’s signature will be authenticated. This normally takes 2 days. The documents and translation are then ready for submission to the District Registrar who will register the marriage and issue the marriage certificate in Thai in accordance with and following the procedure led down in Thai Law.
SPECIAL NOTE

You should allow four working days in Bangkok prior to registering your marriage as you are required to have been a resident in Thailand for at least three days before you marry and you must allow time for the paperwork to be processed in Bangkok. This also allows you to visit some of the wonderful attractions in Bangkok.

Took this off the internet,

Edited by howerde

Maybe I got the name wrong and its not a spouse visa, but a dependants visa?

Its for people who are not working but are married to a working expat with a work permit.

I think children of working expats can get them too?

Thanks for the ampohe information - what did you need to take with you?

I think we will try this office:

Khet Bangrak Registration Office
5 Nares Road , Kwang Siphraya, Bangkok 10500
Tel: 02-236-1395

As its fairly close. anyone been?

Thanks!

I would suggest you go to the Lak-See ampur office, it is almost walking distance from the MoFA where you have to go any way, they are used to dealing with English speakers and they have staff members who are almost native speaker standard.

My wife and I tried to get married in a different ampur office in Bangkok and couldn't. Then we went to Lak-See and apart from the usual waiting for busy staff had no problem at all.

This was all done in 1 day

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Thanks woodworker. Which one did you try to go to in Bangkok?

We weren't planning on going to the MFA and instead getting the translator to do that part.

But if the Laksi amphur is a better option for two foreigners getting married in Thailand then perhaps we should go there?

Thanks

I'm from Sweden but I would guess UK have similar rules. We can legaly get married in nearly every Swedish Embassy in all different countries. Including the one here in Bangkok.

It's not uncommon. I know a few people that have done it

Edited by larsjohnsson

Now............why would you want to do that - really ?? What job is so important in Thailand that you would possibly consider getting married in order to be able to do that job ? It will only end in tears, Brits together in Thailand is not normal - give it some thought, or at least wait until you've grown up a bit !

Tut tut.

I'm from Sweden but I would guess UK have similar rules. We can legaly get married in nearly every Swedish Embassy in all different countries. Including the one here in Bangkok.

It's not uncommon. I know a few people that have done it

As far I a know the UK embassies don't carry out weddings, at least not in Thailand. But it seems like we can go to the amphur office and get married there.

Not sure what the process is for making it official in the UK if it takes place in Thailand.

Now............why would you want to do that - really ?? What job is so important in Thailand that you would possibly consider getting married in order to be able to do that job ? It will only end in tears, Brits together in Thailand is not normal - give it some thought, or at least wait until you've grown up a bit !

Tut tut.

Thailand isn't so bad a place to live.

Thanks woodworker. Which one did you try to go to in Bangkok?

We weren't planning on going to the MFA and instead getting the translator to do that part.

But if the Laksi amphur is a better option for two foreigners getting married in Thailand then perhaps we should go there?

Thanks

I don't remember the other ampur office name the Laksi amphur office is so close to the MFA and you will need to go there to get your Thai marrage documents translated and certified. Once you have the certified documents that is all you need anywhere in the world to prove your marrage.

However if it comes to divorce that can be a different case and while in most country's two people can marry they may not be able to divorce in the same country.

We finally got married! We turned up at Bang Rak, just the two of us (farangs), but they didn't speak English and couldn't provide a translator or two witnesses (and neither could we).

The lady on the front desk phoned a local translator and she came and did the whole thing for us which involved:

• Taking us to her office a few doors down and filling the form (all in Thai)
  • Getting us seen in the amphur office
  • Translating the registration
  • Translating the registration documents

I really don't think you could just turn up without a Thai speaking person and witnesses and hope to have a chance at getting anything done, they didn't seem to be used to foreigners coming to get married at all!

If you want a really good and helpful translator/guide with excellent English try the MBK Translation office a few door down from the Bang Rak amphur: 02-291-7891