Police asking for my photo.

marko kok prong

It's realy nothing to worry about, in spite of paranoid posters that have seen to many crime movies and think everything is a set up.

It is a fact that farang are not registered in the amphoe where they live, unless they have a yellow housebook.

Each year the police of the amphoe I live in, checks in to the farang that live here, take a photo of the farang and his passport, not interested in visa or driver's license. In my case they made a copy of my new passport recently, as they only had the old one.

Nothing strange, if you have an accident or even lose your memory or orientation, there is always your amphoe police office that knows who you are. I carry a copy of my passport with me, so in any case it's a matter of putting my passport number in the database and they know where I live and police can take appropriate action.

It's a safe feeling that they know you, also your house, just in case there is some strange activity they will know who's house it is and investigate. In my rural Isan amphoe it's always good to know policemen, I even enhance it by sometimes, when I pass the police station in the morning and some officers sit in the foodstall for their 40 baht breakfast, giving 200 baht to the vendor and tell the guys I paid for their breakfast. That 200 baht is worth much more, they never ask for money, they know me better and will choose my side if something turns up, like an accident.

That's the way to live a happy and safe life in rural Isan ;)

• Like 1

Think yourself lucky. We naively went to the police station to get confirmation of address for a driving license. We lost three hours. ฿800.- and I had my fingerprints taken.

I just don't ask why any more.

You usually get interviewed at your home few weeks after applying for marriage visa if this did not happen may be part of that process

or if you live far from an immigration office and either sign 90 day reporting at local police station or send in by post they may be checking you are really married and still living as man and wife

Think yourself lucky. We naively went to the police station to get confirmation of address for a driving license. We lost three hours. ฿800.- and I had my fingerprints taken.

I just don't ask why any more.

under what circumstaces can/do they take your fingerprints and was it voluntary or mandatory ? :D

ive never been asked and i got reports from the police a few times at differnt stations

And may i just thank all the members who have replied to this post,of course that would not include Geoman 1976,but he is busy getting his name scratched onto some wall in some obscure usa university,for something, he was too busy to add his opinion,as his last post stated in the news forum was he was scuttling back to the usa,as we speak my i bid him Godspeed and a fair wind,one can only hope never to return or haunt this fine website again.

bugger, you guys must live in pretty crappy places if they need to know who you are in case some thai kills you, ever think of moving somewhere where they dont need to do that crap.

I keep recommending Devon but no one listens.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Australia this could cause confusion as ,devon is like their version of spam,"yea darl,i'll get half a kilo of devon" you will hear this from the typically knarled and sundried Aussie sheila's in any supermarket nationwide,vile slimy stuff by the way,i mean the meat not the women,or do i?

In Australia this could cause confusion as ,devon is like their version of spam,"yea darl,i'll get half a kilo of devon" you will hear this from the typically knarled and sundried Aussie sheila's in any supermarket nationwide,vile slimy stuff by the way,i mean the meat not the women,or do i?

Cornwall?

I also recommend Somerset. Anywhere that has a [insert desirable county name] Life magazine generally won't have policemen visiting for pre-murder inspections.

Do not worry, happened to every farang in our community, I told them to F off , they are simply touting for business as told to me by a cop. Ie checking on your house twice a day whilst you are. On holiday, they sign a paper and put itinyour mail box stating time of visit, however I observed them they never even looked at the house, did not check around the back, total waste of time, and will cost you a few thousand. I did a post on this over two years ago, I live in hua hin, good luck.

If the police come to the house asking for pictures or ID then the should give you a reason for it.

and they did. To enter you in their register of farangs living In the district. Fair request really and may actually save your loved ones some grief, if something were to happen to you and you became incapacitated, or whatever.

I must point out that virtually every Thai In the country has their photo and fingerprint on a file, I.D register. Why shouldn't farang be any different?

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Cornwall?

I also recommend Somerset. Anywhere that has a [insert desirable county name] Life magazine generally won't have policemen visiting for pre-murder inspections.

Cornwall?

Leave us out of it, I'm enjoying the glorious sunshine at the moment :-)