Six killed in Surin building collapse during heavy thunder rainstorm

webfact

The power of storms here in Surin can be frightening. I've lived in many places around the world and have never seen anything remotely like what happens here from time to time. Yesterday was 40°C then all of a sudden, very strong winds a big temprature drop and kapow!!!

My son in laws' brother's family were shopping there when this happened, 4 people dead from one family including pregnant lady. Just goes to show that these reports are never accurate.

I just found out this morning and the BIL is driving to Surin now.

Condolences.

Sorry for you family's loss.

SURIN INCIDENT
Global promises best help to victims
The Nation May 14, 2014 2:09 pm
Siam Global House, which owns the collapsed store in Surin province, promises the best care for all affected by the incident.
On the company’s website, there is a big announcement: "The company deeply regrets for the unexpected incident".

In a filing to the Stock Exchange of Thailand, the listed company said "Siam Global House is very sorry for the incident and to the people who were lost and injured. The company will do the best to take care all of the victims not only from the insurance, but also from the company ourselves."

It noted that store collapsed due to a heavy storm during 5pm of May 13. Initial investigation showed that six people died and one person was injured from the incident.

It promised to further check for further damage and safety of the building as well as the surrounding area.

At 2.10pm, the company’s share price fell to Bt12.40, 1.59 per cent lower from the Monday level.

Surin’s officials have been on the site for further inspection.

Siam Global House operates 29 wholesale outlets, aimed to be the centre of construction materials and DIY products.

Appalling tragedy,

Storms happen of course but Surin is well known for having them, chances are the building was not taken out by lightening but bad construction and or materials.

Judging by the offer to help pay SG already know it

Same thing happened to the Global house in Mukdahan 12 months ago and the same part of the building collapse and saw another global house not sure if it was Roi et or Kohn Kaen with the same thing so that makes three that I have seen. It seems that the building standards for global house are to blame not the storm

We have been frequent shoppers at GLOBAL in Chiang Mai but after these reports... TWO Stores falling over....WE WON'T EVER SHOP AT GLOBAL AG!AIN

• Like 1

I remember the river at the side of the building bursting its banks last year and water flooded the building out. At the time the speed of the river a few days before the flood caught my attention as being like a raging torrent. That wouldn't have done the foundations any good. Just a thought.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by watso63

SURIN
Store ordered to close as it faces probe into collapse that killed six

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- SURIN Governor Nirun Kalayanamitr yesterday ordered the immediate closure of Global House Store, pending an investigation into the collapse of its building, which killed six people including a pregnant woman.

The closure is a preventive measure out of concern that the buildings of the store could collapse again.

Engineers were assigned to check the structure of other buildings of the store, while investigators will look into the store's legal permits.

Global House belongs to Siam Global House, an affiliate of SCG Distribution, which is one of the subsidiaries of SCG Group.

On Tuesday, the entrance to a construction material store collapsed following heavy rain and strong winds in Muang district.

Police were alerted at about 4pm that the concrete walls used to block the wind had failed to withstand the winds and had collapsed on to the roof of the entrance building. Heavy rains, hailstones and strong winds buffeted the area for more than an hour.

Family seeking shelter found dead

Rescue workers who rushed to the scene initially found three bodies of a family under the debris. They were identified as Charan Phetnok, 32; Sudathip Ukart, 33; who was pregnant, and their daughter Maturot Phetnok, 12. They had stopped by at the store to shop and avoid the heavy rain.

At about 10pm on Tuesday, rescue workers found the bodies of three male staff who were identified by their nametags as Rob Chusrikhao, 56; Yo Saengprasert, 36; and Sakchai Prajujan, 39.

Two other staff injured in the collapse were sent to Surin Hospital.

Meanwhile, Niyom Summanut, Siam Global House's regional director for the Northeast, said the incident took place after a lighting struck a lighting rod, causing the building to crack and later collapse when hit by strong winds.

The firm has already given initial compensation of Bt50,000 to the families of each victim and will later offer Bt1 million for each victim. If a victim has children, it will support tuition fees until bachelor's degree. Those injured will be given Bt100,000 each and medical treatment will be covered by the firm.

Listed firm Siam Global House yesterday also expressed condolences to the victims on the homepage of its website.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-15

Was the store built with Global's own construction materials? Surprising that that a building is not designed to withstand hailstones.

it depends i think on the volume,if they settle they are quite heavy,it's ice after all,we had similar things happen back in Newcastle Australia in a big storm in 2006,quite a few roof buckled due to the volume of hail/water on top,and there was widespread damage across the city.

just wondering were there any other reports of any damage done elsewhere in surin as I havnt seen any.

Sincere condolences to all of the injured and the families who lost loved ones.

I find it hugely ironic that a building that was constructed to be a home improvement / building supply / construction equipment center was constructed so poorly.

Undoubtedly it was built in a hurry in order to get opened and start bringing in the almighty baht with little regard to safety standards and construction principles.

Yes, regrettable indeed.

Profit runs the train in many countries, including my own. When there is little oversight at construction projects, lax or non-existent code enforcement and the "gain-by-pain" mentality, then this will continue.

One only has to look towards the Korean ferry tragedy as an extreme example. Pack as much weight in as you can and worry later. Ferries, buses, trucks, buildings, bridges, pedestrian overpasses, tunnels, fly-overs, etc. are all opportunities for cost cutting, profits and death.

I'm not paranoid, but I try to check out my surroundings and gauge the risk factor.

• Like 1

"the concrete walls used to block the wind had failed to withstand the winds and had collapsed on to the roof of the entrance building."

That should probably read as "the unreinforced concrete block wall" failed to withstand the winds.

Very sad.