Chinese call center scammers arrested in Bangkok

webfact

Chinese call center scammers arrested

BANGKOK, 14 May 2014 (NNT) – A Chinese call center gang has been apprehended by Thonglor police officers. The illegal call center was based in Thailand.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) Chief Kamronwit Thoopkrachang told a press briefing that 20 Chinese nationals had been caught red handed while they were calling their potential victims from a rental home in Bangkok's Sukhumvit 31.

According to an investigation, the alleged scammers don’t have passports, as they claim that the broker kept them as security. They were initially charged with working without a licence and illegal possession of a communication radio, and sent to the immigration police for repatriation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-14 footer_n.gif

"illegal possession of a communication radio"

Wonder what this was.

a telephone ?

In reality, it got me curious and I did a search and actually found something on Thaivisa from like back in 2004. Seems it is illegal to posses what I consider modern walkie talkies here without getting a permit. Good to know, I was actually going to bring some for my Thai nephews here a few months back but decided on something else.

I have a handheld scanner from years ago that was a great model until many agencies went digital in the US. Have thought about bringing that here but might also want to re-think that as I wonder if those are illegal here.

Wonder what this was.

a telephone ?

In reality, it got me curious and I did a search and actually found something on Thaivisa from like back in 2004. Seems it is illegal to posses what I consider modern walkie talkies here without getting a permit. Good to know, I was actually going to bring some for my Thai nephews here a few months back but decided on something else.

I have a handheld scanner from years ago that was a great model until many agencies went digital in the US. Have thought about bringing that here but might also want to re-think that as I wonder if those are illegal here.

the PDRC and red shirts usually have walkie talkies at roadblocks but they may be police or army issued

i dont think ive seen any in the shops but legal or not you will find someone selling them like everything else that "illegal "

if you really want them

well done.

Yes indeed. Credit where credit is due. Not, however, to the hack that wrote this piece of pathetic journalism. Where are the details of the alleged scam? Who were they scamming, in which county/countries and why?

You looking for ideas to start a company? wink.png

Actually was wondering the same thing.

21 Chinese arrested over call-centre scam
The Nation

30233664-01_big.JPG?1400112464710

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok police arrested 21 Chinese nationals for allegedly running a call-centre scam which tricked people in China and Thailand out of Bt100 million over two months, Metropolitan Police Commander Pol Lt-General Camronwit Toopgrajank said yesterday.

The 14 men and seven women were arrested at a rented house in the Soi Sukhumvit 31 area on Tuesday along with computer notebooks and desktops, cell phones, Internet modems and other equipment.

The group had reportedly rented the house for Bt130,000 a month as their head office where they stayed and worked without going out unless necessary for two months before the arrest, Camronwit said.

Police initially charged them for working in Thailand without permission.

This conference was also Camronwit's last event as city police chief before he moves to head up Provincial Police Region 5.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-15

Wonder what this was.

Probably a walkie-talkie. Those are illegal here and I've known someone to get that exact charge for having one. You can buy them in some places, but if the police catch you with it, it's tea money or a charge.

well done.

Yes indeed. Credit where credit is due. Not, however, to the hack that wrote this piece of pathetic journalism. Where are the details of the alleged scam? Who were they scamming, in which county/countries and why?

Yes, agree, plenty of 'classy' journalism.

Normally when they don't know the facts they simply make them up. In this case, the just omitted the facts. <deleted>?

Some peoples hands must shake when they put their hand out for their paycheque.

well done.

Quite... a pathetic piece of journalistic prose indeed.

The Chinese are arguably the oldest scammers in the world...goes back for centuries...where they mastered their craft...by scamming each other...passed on to the genes of the Thais when they migrated South from China...

Edited by ggt

Red handed. The Thais are catching them 'red handed."

I wonder where the term 'red handed' came from. Must have been from before we invented moisturiser.

Politics politics... could be "yellow handed"...whistling.gif

21 Chinese arrested over call-centre scam

The Nation

30233664-01_big.JPG?1400112464710

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok police arrested 21 Chinese nationals for allegedly running a call-centre scam which tricked people in China and Thailand out of Bt100 million over two months, Metropolitan Police Commander Pol Lt-General Camronwit Toopgrajank said yesterday.

The 14 men and seven women were arrested at a rented house in the Soi Sukhumvit 31 area on Tuesday along with computer notebooks and desktops, cell phones, Internet modems and other equipment.

The group had reportedly rented the house for Bt130,000 a month as their head office where they stayed and worked without going out unless necessary for two months before the arrest, Camronwit said.

Police initially charged them for working in Thailand without permission.

This conference was also Camronwit's last event as city police chief before he moves to head up Provincial Police Region 5.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-05-15

Headbangers R Us?