Is it possible to run 2 similar businesses from the same office location?

Hi All,

Does anybody have experience with running similar businesses from the same office location? What are the potential problems? What would need to be done so it is clear that there are 2 businesses running?

Both businesses would run from the same ground floor unit and there would be 1 work permit (plus 4 Thai staff) attached to each business

Many thanks

Ruds

That would depend on your ability to run 2 businesses from one location.

I can't post any other answer because I don't know you and therefore I am unable to offer an informed opinion.

Interesting question. I will be equally interested to see the answers.

• Like 1

I guess the rational answer is whether you have 2 businesses as 1 registered company or you have 2 registered companies. Work permit state the name of the registered company and that is the legal limitation. You can't work for another registered company even under the same roof. Nothing wrong having 2 companies in the same premise but work permit has totally different rules.

When I set up my business and applied for a work permit I had to show pictures of all the working areas with employees doing their various tasks. This included pictures of letterheads etc on the computer desks in the office. So it is possible that a shared office may cause problems. We also had a random inspection by 4 or 5 officials to talk with employees and check the company was for real.

You may also have a problem proving that the people with the permits aren't working for the other company.

• Like 1

What if the second company was a division of or subsidiary of the first. I think the core business would have to be the same? I know of one company that has a second one selling cheaper products but in the same market much like Tesco good better, best type philosophy.