Kawa z 250 any good?

Sorry for asking...

My stepson refuses to use one of our cars for his daily commute, instead, he "mentioned" that he would like a "big bike"... despite from the fact, that he already attended 2 funerals from close friends who died on those.

I am worried, because he is known to us as someone who overestimates his abilities - so i reluctantly gave permission for a 250 cc beginner big bike... he was happy about my decision... what made me even more nervous... his driving experience until now, is 5+ years on a Yamaha Spark 135 cc. That's him in the Show room...

Now, looking at the picture,(I wasn't there, his mother took the picture) this z 250 thing looks like a toy under his ass ( he is 1.86 m tall, 25 years old). Do you think, i am overcautious? Can you recommend something else? Should i allow him something bigger? Money isn't the problem but it should be something readily available in Thailand... again, sorry for asking, please answer me from the concerned father view and keep any badass comments to yourself.

That's almost doubling the cc.. you've allowed him so just stick to it. 4 stroke engine braking is way more pronounced compared to a spark. Slowly doubling the cc is the way to go but don't chide yourself when he gets into trouble

Sent from my LG-D505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He is 25 years old get him to buy it himself!

Well yes, some people do like to hang off the proverbial boob for far too long, as long as the boob is given to them.

Tell him get a job and buy it himself on finance?

25 is a bit old to be nagging a parent for a brand new vehicle because he doesn't like the other ones.

My first real long term bike was a CBR600 and I almost ran off the road at high speed the 2nd day I rode it.

In hindsight I don't think anyone should learn on a bike with 120hp.

You can easily die on a Spark 135 so I think a 250cc is a logical upgrade.

It's not shockingly fast but still capable and entertaining.

I'm sure it gets lots of street cred which might be key for a younger guy.

Has he ever crashed the little bike?

This might be bad parenting advice but maybe you buy him a full leather suit and bring him to a racetrack.

He can learn the limits of the bike and maybe even crash.

Better to crash in a closed environment than on the streets where a bus will run over you.

After he crashes on a track he will hopefully ride a lot more responsibly.

On the flipside, it might encourage him to start street racing or other reckless behavior if he doesn't crash.

It's a catch 22, sometimes you need to crash to learn you are not invincible and the limits of motorcycling, but it might kill or paralyse you too.

I find protective armor a catch 22 also.

I ride faster when I wear full riding boots, neck brace, padded pants, and padded jacket because I feel safer with it on, but I'm riding faster.

I guess I have better odds surviving a crash going 90kmh with full gear than 50kmh with just a helmet and gloves.

I'm just rambling now so I will stop.

• Like 2

So far,

thank you all for your advice. The safety gear is one thing he is very alert about, he even refused to do an offered testdrive bec he was only in flip flop's... He has a friend who owns a 650 ninja and i think he did a few rounds on this bike already...

From his own testimony, he never crashed his Yamaha Spark...

To the guys who mentioned that a 25 y.o. should look after himself I HEAR YOU! I am independent since i am 16 but i was raised by poor parents, so i keep telling myself that my stepson did not have the same advantages i had...

Back on topic, i am more interested in hardware suggestions, safety and moral aspects are not a problem at all.

My stepson refuses to use one of our cars for his daily commute

Aww, bless.

biggrin.png

He's a big lad, maybe find out what 250 is best suited for a large guy.

Suzuki have a new 250 coming out, Benelli 300, CBR250/300.

The Z250 sure is a good bike, but it lacks ABS. But there isn't much choice in this class. CBR250 (ABS), Ninja300 (ABS), D-Tracker (no ABS) or some dual-sport 250cc.

How important is ABS? Hard to say, it sure can prevent people from crashing sometimes.

just get him a honda cb500f or any of the 500 c series of honda. you pay 50 k thb more on top of a kawa z250 but get a 500 cc proper big bike plus ABS.

500 series hondas are the best bikes to start and you dont like small on them or get bored fast. They are safer with ABS and very forgiving bikes.

check http://www.aphonda.co.th/hondabigwing/home.ashx#home-content.html

also, more important than the bike, you have to buy him proper gear such as a full helmet, a rider jacket, proper gloves with palm sliders, nice boots and possibly knee protectors.

if he refuse to wear the full helmet, jacket, gloves and proper boots or at least shoes while riding, get the bike under him and sell it or lock it before he injures himself or worse.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

A bike that goes over 100mph/160kph is too dangerous for someone so immature and new to biking.

If he stamps his feet and has a cry about having to use one of the family cars and not having his own big bike bought for him, what is he going to do when some young Somchai in a pimped out pick-up truck with music blaring flashes him and tries to blow him off the road in a power-show of who's boss.

Probably try to defeat him.

Edited by Som wat

he looks pretty dim, what wrong with his hair?

more to the point, if you have given him access to a car and he doesn't want it, he can buy his own bike.

i checked the photo closely as well and i think a second hand cbr250r for 65 k thb is perfect for him. easy and safer ride, enough power and cheap to run/maintain.

Edited by ll2

more to the point, if you have given him access to a car and he doesn't want it, he can buy his own bike.

Exactly.

Might make him grow up and bit and be more responsible, and learn that step-daddy farang isn't such an easy mark after all.

Edited by Som wat

he looks pretty dim...

That sums it up... and yes, he is balding...

Don't get me wrong, despite from all his flaws, he is a nice guy liked by all who know him; it's fun to have him around. I said he "mentioned" he would like a big bike, he never would "demand" anything, that's just not him... Atm, he rides mom's market bike (Scoopy) to the college (30 km there and back), his own choice...

Back to the bike issue, i keep saying myself, he survived 7+ years on small bikes, so he must have the skills and foresight to do so.

Do you think ABS is a "must have"?

• Like 1

If you already agreed to get it for him, then don't back out now.

And don't think about something bigger or faster, this bike is already fast enough with the top speed of around 150 kmh. Give him a choice of this or a cbr250.

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

• Like 1

CRF250 might be a good option if it's not too uncomfirtable for the guy's commute.

I'd rather my child's motorbike hobby be bopping away off road rather then zooming along Thai roads maxing out his new bike at 100mph.

Edited by Som wat

Ok just my input here. I don't know him or your family. But I do know I was a spoiled kid and got multiple cars over the years thanks to parents, including a mustang GT. I did not respect it, didn't get into too much trouble but I didn't really take care of it either. Once I bought my own things I took care of them more and I was more conscious of the upkeep. Who will pay the 8000b every 12k km for new tires etc? My suggestion would be to tell him you will match his savings and sell the spark. A new z250 costs quite a bit. But you can get a 2011 non ABS cbr250 for 60-70k

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There's a lot of people that are advising you whether or not giving him such a bike is a good idea. They can go eff 'emselves.

The Z250 is based on the '08 Ninja 250R. It's a bullet-proof engine with lineage that extends back to, and refined from, the 80's something original Ninja that likes to rev. There have been no reports on the forum of any issues with these bikes.

I still have an '08 and other than going through tyres (Supercorsas get about 8-12K) I've only had one issue where the bike sat for ~8 months with gasohol in it. Replaced a few bits and bobs up in the fueling system and it's been running just fine in the 3 years since.

Don't know the weight of the guy going to be riding it, but getting a set of RaceTech springs for the front sure is nice. I'm a fat bastard who made those poor forks look like pogo sticks. Getting stiffer ones sure planted that front end. The braided break lines help with the feel. I also installed a smaller rear sprocket to give lower revs at highway speed.

• Like 2

Your stephson is 1.86 - 25. I am 1.85 - 26 So I would say for size it should be ok, I have a ninja 300 which I think is the same frame and for me the bike is good on size and easy to handle in traffic.

the ninja 300 has abs and a slipper clutch which might can be handy since he is not an experienced rider.

Like others mentioned, make sure he wears proper gear and follows trainings!

• Like 1

The Kawa should not be a lot more dangerous than the Spark he has been driving (safely?) for 5 years.

A bit faster on top end, but much better brakes, suspension, wheels/tires.

If he can avoid showing off for his friends, he'll likely be okay.

On Sunday, we went to Kawasaki in Pattaya, while my wife was doing the paperwork 3 other customers where in the process buying the z250, all opted for the white model, us included. For my own taste, too much plastic on the bike but what do i know?

Now i am playing with the idea set a Kawa branch up for the son... did not know they sell these bikes like sliced bread.

i'd recommend the ninja 300 or the honda cbr500

abit more expenssive but rewarding longterm wise + more safe in my opinion. Hondas are very forgiving and smooth.

The z250 has no abs and i saw many of those bike crashed due new riders locking up the front wheel.

but its his choice after all.

If it was my kid i'd buy him a used cbr250r and proper riding gear (which cost easy up to 50k baht)

The only short-term advantage I see on the Z250 is the great availability of mods and the price, and if he plans to use it only on the city. (it has no ABS thou)

Otherwise, go for ER6n, CB500F as better long term investment, or if plan to travel with the bike.

Edit: also because the will have ABS and are quite stable on the road.

Be aware that the CB500 has much less breaking power than the ER6N or a Ninja 300.

Edited by brfsa2

After reading all comments in a more detailed, I agree with most that you should get him a basic learning bike which is safe enough, like a CB250 ABS, and then let him save the money and buy himself a proper bike a year or two later.

That was the case of a cousin of my GF.

His parents bought him a CBR150, he rode for year after college, then with his own money he got a ER6N. now a days he rides a Z1000.

Another vote for the CBR250 with ABS.

Decent brakes (much better than a scooter), steady handling, (much, much better than most scooters), ABS as an extra safety aid - and nice fueling so steady acceleration.

CRF250M also worth a look - good for tall riders - no ABS but better brakes and tyres for road use than the CRF250L dual sport/semi off road version of the same bike.

CB500 range also very good - but they are faster which is not a good thing in this particular case.

But if I was buying a bike for another person I'd consider the Yamaha Tricity as the extra front wheel may help prevent the front wheel slide that is a risk for all riders on dodgy roads.