Police, army join PDRC checkpoints

webfact

It would be nice if it made a difference. But with the police involved, I'm skeptical.

The problem has been that the police dare not do anything unless the Army approves first. The Army is generally supportive of Suthep and strongly anti-Thaksin, although I understand there are some disagreements within the top ranks. Suthep's strategy is to provoke the police into committing violence against the PDRC, which might give the Army an excuse to run another coup. The Army, as I understand it, wants to leave it to the courts and the "independent" anti-government agencies. With soldiers in the checkpoints too, the police can beel safe from being attacked by the PDRC "guards." When you accept this basic dynamic, you can understand why the police allowed the protesters to invade Police Headquarters.

The police had ample opportunity to prove their worth by catching at least one of the terrorists' attacks of the peaceful protesters; however the police failed miserably.

If the police want another shot at redemption, they're not needed at the PDRC checkpoints, but rather just outside the range of an M79.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

finally after 6 months the police will start doing their job, I dont believe it. They will probably still let the reds toss grenades and shoot at the protesters though after all, they dont really want to stop their team from doing all the damage

Oh, come on. Are you that new here? Were you here in 2008? There's a reason the police have been keeping their heads down. The PDRC are the visible, public relations part, for showing the international TV networks. Behind them, invisible to the foreign reporters, is the Army. Have you noticed how many of the "guards" are "off-duty" service members? Special Forces, SEAL, etc. The end game will depend on maneuvering going on inside the Army's top ranks and among the elite groups struggling to be in an advantageous position when something happens.

As someone who drove through the Asoke checkpoint on an almost daily basis; if those guys were off-duty Special Forces... The mind bottles...

Then there are trolls, sissies and class sneaks who clog the forum with inane interjections. You are not in that category and I am sometimes enlightened by your posts.

What you fail to understand it would seem is that only through reforms Thailand can become a real democracy. I'm sure that the younger members of PDRC will have a problem with the older guard, but they are the best chance we have to define reforms which neither sides' oldies will like, but should be forced to submit to. Finally everyone equal not only just by law but also effectively. Now that takes more than good reforms of course. A society still based and performing under the age old patronage system (both inBangkok and especially upcountry in rural areas) needs time to adjusts itself. That something human groups only do when pressured enough, pressured long enough.

The only alternative seems a civil war with the ruin of Thailand and another one or two lost generations.

BTW I'm sorry to say that I'm more likely to file you under "trolls, sissies, class sneaks and others" than under objective members. Sorry.

"older guard, but they are the best chance we have to define reforms which neither sides' oldies will like, but should be forced to submit to"

You have no embarrassment rubl, do you . Still pushing that "forced reforms" angle I see. You really do deserve suthep, or prayuth, you've got a lot in common.

1. "define reforms which neither sides' oldies will like, but should be forced to submit to""

2. full sentence was

"I'm sure that the younger members of PDRC will have a problem with the older guard, but they are the best chance we have to define reforms which neither sides' oldies will like, but should be forced to submit to."

3. May have missed it, but what is your wonderful all-encompassing solution to the problem in Thailand?

Even 40 would be 40 too many already, wouldn't you say?

Unlike you I didn't keep tally. I thought 40, but just read an article on the Bangkokpost which mentioned "nearly 100" Makes it even worse, wouldn't you say?

The article is on the police only having success with PDRC doing something wrong, but are unable to get any details on who targets the PDRC. Same article also wonders what the CAPO does apart from warning people not to go near or join the anti-government protests, and spent lots of money of course.

I don't keep a tally, rubl, you're the grenade obsessive.

Actually it would seem that red-shirtsunknowns are somewhat grenade obsessed.

Plus of course you are avoiding the question "even 40 would be 40 too many., wouldn't you say"

How many times does one have to denounce violence on this forum? Every single incident? Miss out one and you get someone bleating you are avoiding the question "even 40 would be 40 too many., wouldn't you say".

What do you expect me to say rubl "No, 40 is not nearly enough"?

Stupid question. Stupid post.

Stupid response. You're the one telling me I'm "grenade obsessed".

BTW you still avoid the question, it would seem.

The BP post reports of M-16s found on the acting/caretaker/make-believe PM aide's car, and allegations of weapons being stockpiled on the property of a PTP MP, it's reported that there is pressure from the government and high ranking police to drop the issue.

The weapons were found by a police/army groups supervised by the ISOC, if it would had been just the police I'm sure it would had already been covered up.