Many TV members Living Thai style?

coconutbar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live exactly the same here as I always have wherever I happen to be in the world at the time.

I don't see why should I change in any way, all that's changed is my location and I'm pretty sure I'll always be the same me regardless of where I live.

Yeap, I do exactly the same.

When I stay at the Farm, I reckon I go fairly close ...

Except maybe the food not 100% of what the Thai family eat.

I don't aspire to that style of living ... it is just what life is like at the Farm.

• Like 1

I think this house is a bit lower quality as where i lived in the Netherlands but after improving on it its better. I never cared much for big houses and when i just came here I did not make the money I make now. I could easily afford a big house now but i rather safe the money and do all the nice things that I want and still safe for later.

I know people like to show off.. I don't really care.

I think this house is a bit lower quality as where i lived in the Netherlands but after improving on it its better. I never cared much for big houses and when i just came here I did not make the money I make now. I could easily afford a big house now but i rather safe the money and do all the nice things that I want and still safe for later.

So everyone that lives in a nice house is showing off? Ridiculous statement

Yes that is a ridiculous statement.. good that I did not make it.

I never said big house equals showing off... I said some people like to show off, I don't care.

You can show off with a big house.. big bike expensive car ect.

That does not mean everyone with a big house or expensive car is showing off.

• Like 1

I never said big house equals showing off... I said some people like to show off, I don't care.

I forgot that English is not your first language. Go back to your mirrors.

I forgot that English is not your first language. Go back to your mirrors.

Touchy.. i wonder how many languages you speak.. probably not many. Your remark about mirrors let me know your probably out of shape and deep down not happy about it. Why else bring something like this in the conversation.

• Like 1

Coconuts,

These topics somewhat amuse me.

When in Thailand I stay in our home, it's about 30 years old and of common Thai construction, but it's the kind of place you wouldn't glance at twice. It's just outside Bangkok and I mean literally just metres outside. Many years ago the white ants moved in and occasionally we replaced some of the timber part that have been eaten, but it's not so urgent because the structural parts have long been replaced with steel & concrete. In sections of the house the wall don't meet the roof height, which is handy for when I lock myself outside I can just boost one of the nephews over and in. It's Thai style everything. My bedroom is air conditioned but the rest of it not, actually a good portion of it doesn't even have ceilings.

The house is positioned on almost 50 Rai of land and In the garden we have just about every vegetable imaginable. We have lakes full of fish and little bamboo huts everywhere, a great place to take an afternoon nap away from the madness of it all.

The house itself isn't worth a penny, I mean you could recycle the glass but the rest would easily become rubble. For me and my family it is of the happiest places on the earth, many wonderful memories, good times and all that. Some days I wake up and it's just the wife and I, other times I come out of the bedroom and theirs family members everywhere, I'm alway walking around whacking people with the broom telling them to get up and get ready, if that does work I turn up the music loud and kind of vibrate them out of the place. It's up when I up and out when I say get out......they all love it. As for the food, I couldn't tell you where half of it comes from and I'm never surprised at what I find In the food locker. If I don't want to eat inside, I head out.

No problems.

Of course some might snicker at me because I don't have the grand villa entrance or the fancy tiles In the entranceway, or even perhaps a pool or tennis court, but I will tell you, I can swim in the lake, kick a ball in the field or whatever really and I can park anywhere and make as much or little noise as I want. Ohh and of course at about 3.5 to 4 million baht per Rai we could always sub divide (as many of the neighbours have) and even chop of a small portion off the block would raise a small fortune, but my betting is that we probably won't. At least I have no interest in doing that as the land is my buffer from the rest of you nuts.

We have also rented flash condos and lived in other parts of Thailand for a while, stayed In fancy hotels and recently lived on our yacht, but some reason nothing matches up to the old home and all it brings.

So anyway, as you can see, I'm living hi-so, even if it doesn't match anyone else's idea of that wink.png

Like a lot! That's me one day, though 50 rai would be way out of my wife's budget, or mine.

Although I do like a house that can be closed enough to keep mozzies out.

Wifey does not like flashy, but we do like comfort. Her ideal is an old house that you wouldn't glance twice at, but inside all the modcons and comforts. Add my dream to hers of that house being on a good block of dirt with trees, veges, chooks, and a goat or two, and we will be content.

She oscillates between wanting a small house for her parents up on the back paddock, and not wanting them there at all. I won't mind either way.

And 90% the time, it's Thai food we enjoy. (Cheese is just too darned expensive!)

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 2

Coconuts,

When in Thailand I stay in our home, it's about 30 years old and of common Thai construction, but it's the kind of place you wouldn't glance at twice. It's just outside Bangkok and I mean literally just metres outside. Many years ago the white ants moved in and occasionally we replaced some of the timber part that have been eaten, but it's not so urgent because the structural parts have long been replaced with steel & concrete. In sections of the house the wall don't meet the roof height, which is handy for when I lock myself outside I can just boost one of the nephews over and in. It's Thai style everything. My bedroom is air conditioned but the rest of it not, actually a good portion of it doesn't even have ceilings.

The house is positioned on almost 50 Rai of land and In the garden we have just about every vegetable imaginable. We have lakes full of fish and little bamboo huts everywhere, a great place to take an afternoon nap away from the madness of it all.

The house itself isn't worth a penny, I mean you could recycle the glass but the rest would easily become rubble. For me and my family it is of the happiest places on the earth, many wonderful memories, good times and all that. Some days I wake up and it's just the wife and I, other times I come out of the bedroom and theirs family members everywhere, I'm alway walking around whacking people with the broom telling them to get up and get ready, if that does work I turn up the music loud and kind of vibrate them out of the place. It's up when I up and out when I say get out......they all love it. As for the food, I couldn't tell you where half of it comes from and I'm never surprised at what I find In the food locker. If I don't want to eat inside, I head out.

No problems.

Of course some might snicker at me because I don't have the grand villa entrance or the fancy tiles In the entranceway, or even perhaps a pool or tennis court, but I will tell you, I can swim in the lake, kick a ball in the field or whatever really and I can park anywhere and make as much or little noise as I want. Ohh and of course at about 3.5 to 4 million baht per Rai we could always sub divide (as many of the neighbours have) and even chop of a small portion off the block would raise a small fortune, but my betting is that we probably won't. At least I have no interest in doing that as the land is my buffer from the rest of you nuts.

We have also rented flash condos and lived in other parts of Thailand for a while, stayed In fancy hotels and recently lived on our yacht, but some reason nothing matches up to the old home and all it brings.

So anyway, as you can see, I'm living hi-so, even if it doesn't match anyone else's idea of that ;)

Spot on ND. So I can't build a house on your land then?

Coconuts,

No problems.

So anyway, as you can see, I'm living hi-so, even if it doesn't match anyone else's idea of that wink.png

Spot on ND. So I can't build a house on your land then?

Drat! I wish I'd thought to ask that first!

Coconuts,

No problems.

Great story, but i would like to know if white ants still living with you and how much rent are they paying per month?wink.png