Many TV members Living Thai style?

coconutbar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh, so many questions. Threads not about me.

1. The ants stay free..... your most welcome to take a bag of them, if you like?

2. No need to build anymore structures on the land but you are both welcome to crash in a hut, if that'll do. You need to be careful tho..... there's a cranky old p r I c k that walks around hitting people with a broom ;)

I m not sure how a toad will go with the water monitors tho!

I reakon a house on the land runs rings around a moo baan anyday and condos, nightmarish.

E by heck, does cardboard box in middle of road have a class here?

To me it's quite modest....but it's home.

Cardboard eh?

You were lucky!

Well when I say cardboard, more like an old, damp, child's shoe box.........

.......but we can't complain, it was a step up from paper bag in gutter

Does it count that I have a bottle of Mehkong for emergencies ? Like the Mama noodles next to it, its for that day when the mob shows up outside the apartment building, Not encouraging when your baht bus driver tells you he thinks the country will soon be 'like Syria' - not really sure that they understand the enormity of a statement like that :(

• Like 1

I think that some people are jealous ot those who live "Thai style". They only criticize to try to justify their inability to intergrate with the locals, their being overcharged for most things and in general their dislike for most things in Thailand - except of course their blow-up doll.

The funny thing is every night in Thonglor, I see Porches and Mercedes double parked while they pick up their 30 baht somtam.:)

Have you seen Warren Buffet's house?

Back home, there were beautiful lakefront properties with plastic furniture inside as the owner's had no money.

You can never equate wealth to home size or food choices. The truly wealthy give much of their money away to charity. Its those that haven't quite made it that feel the need to gain respect by showing off their wealth.

• Like 1

The house i live in here is actually better than the old wooden one i had back in Australia,after my ex took that off me i was in a caravan,so right now i feel like i am living in a palace.

I lived in 4 states - SA, QLD, NSW and Vic - and I was constantly stunned by how poorly most Australian homes are designed for the climate. Even the celebrated Queenslander was an oven in Summer and an icebox in Winter - insulation seems to have been a dirty word from the day they realised that asbestos might be cheap but it was also seriously nasty.

Houses might cost a lot more to build in a country like Germany, and their heating costs are atrocious, but at least the occupants arent huddled inside under 5 or so blankets wondering why they bother paying to keep a roof over their heads.

Before I lived as mentioned by the OP but after that I have met a 78.9521 % Chinese/Thai girl, who is educated over, and her family is in the middle-high class. My life is changed to a successful and turned to the High-So, but I'm very hansum.

This post's and the OP's intellectuel levels are the same.

Looks like the New Mexico Almanac of Better Homes and Gardens wink.png

Very cheap to do. About 10k Baht including sand, gravel, pebbles, paving, pots, grow bags, plants. Used to be a dull scrubby horrible failed lawn.

Paving always looks better than patches of grass, IMO - I just find that the gravel seems to find its way out of the garden, but that's life. Just bought a great Thai book on Bromeliads - have always loved them along with a zillion other tropicals. Your courtyard appears a little too open to the sun for all but the hardiest - I grew most of mine on and beneath a massive Poinciana tree and they literally double their population over a matter of months.

Bromeliad_garden_with_Red_Ti_background.

^^ Yup. Forget lawns. Tried that. Weeds and lack of water. Nightmare.

Gravel and pots work. I have, surprisingly, successfully grown bougainvillea up the front wall and this affords a little shade. However, I do not recommend planting bougainvillea unless you really like shears and have a whetstone. The damn stuff grows faster than Japanese Knotweed on steroids.

The back garden is being changed to raised beds, pathways and perhaps a pergola with a creeper for shade. Either that or I build a studio on it. Dunno yet.

Paving always looks better than patches of grass, IMO - I just find that the gravel seems to find its way out of the garden, but that's life. Just bought a great Thai book on Bromeliads - have always loved them along with a zillion other tropicals. Your courtyard appears a little too open to the sun for all but the hardiest - I grew most of mine on and beneath a massive Poinciana tree and they literally double their population over a matter of months.

Bromeliad_garden_with_Red_Ti_background.

Bromeliad! Thanks, I was trying to remember the name last week when we were talking about air plants (those wispy plants you see everywhere that grow wherever you hang them, even on rock or steel, with no soil) I mentioned to someone that air plants are the same family as pineapple, but couldn't quote "Bromeliaceae"

Ohhh dear,

Wonderful. I have not any photos with me ATM, as I'm in Australia.

David, MJP & Mr Worldwide,

So lovely, well done.

David, how many Rai of fish lakes have you there? We also have fish lakes, not as pretty as yours though, as our background and neighbours are now factories, apartments and so forth. In our fish lakes we have a couple of breeds of Tilapia, which amuses me because back here in Oz you can actually be fined for releasing certain types of Tilapia into the wild. The Thais love them - LOL. There's also butterfish and Catfish. I dislike catfish myself but it sells well. Over the years there has been other fish, I just can't think of the names.

We are not far from the fishing port and I've got connections there for fish straight off the trawlers........ as opposed to eating from the lakes.

MJP, that's come along way, since those days years ago, well done. Are you still keeping my room there?

Mr Worldwide, How good does that look ! Sensational IMO.

Our place isn't so beautiful, but we have no shortage of broken down machines and parts, snakes, lizards that look like Crocodiles and weeds, lots of weeds. We've also got the tallest Mango trees in Thailand and the mangos are very popular in our local community.

Occasionally I disappear into our jungle and discover things I've never seen before, old trucks, this and that & I wonder where on hell did that come from!

The house i live in here is actually better than the old wooden one i had back in Australia,after my ex took that off me i was in a caravan,so right now i feel like i am living in a palace.

I lived in 4 states - SA, QLD, NSW and Vic - and I was constantly stunned by how poorly most Australian homes are designed for the climate. Even the celebrated Queenslander was an oven in Summer and an icebox in Winter - insulation seems to have been a dirty word from the day they realised that asbestos might be cheap but it was also seriously nasty.

Houses might cost a lot more to build in a country like Germany, and their heating costs are atrocious, but at least the occupants arent huddled inside under 5 or so blankets wondering why they bother paying to keep a roof over their heads.

Totally agree,in fact i remeber there was a thing on Abc local radio about this,a Canadian exchange student said the winter he spent in Aus,was the coldest he had ever felt inside a house,my old house was like you describe,i put in a combustion fire, which helped, but before that it was just as you describe.

Ohhh dear,

Wonderful. I have not any photos with me ATM, as I'm in Australia.

David, MJP & Mr Worldwide,

So lovely, well done.

David, how many Rai of fish lakes have you there? We also have fish lakes, not as pretty as yours though, as our background and neighbours are now factories, apartments and so forth. In our fish lakes we have a couple of breeds of Tilapia, which amuses me because back here in Oz you can actually be fined for releasing certain types of Tilapia into the wild. The Thais love them - LOL. There's also butterfish and Catfish. I dislike catfish myself but it sells well. Over the years there has been other fish, I just can't think of the names.

We are not far from the fishing port and I've got connections there for fish straight off the trawlers........ as opposed to eating from the lakes.

MJP, that's come along way, since those days years ago, well done. Are you still keeping my room there?

Mr Worldwide, How good does that look ! Sensational IMO.

Our place isn't so beautiful, but we have no shortage of broken down machines and parts, snakes, lizards that look like Crocodiles and weeds, lots of weeds. We've also got the tallest Mango trees in Thailand and the mangos are very popular in our local community.

Occasionally I disappear into our jungle and discover things I've never seen before, old trucks, this and that & I wonder where on hell did that come from!

Freshly painted too!

Seem most Thais live more comfortably than the OP these days. Some days I live like others in the village in Isaan where I live usually for a month or two each year. Other days I don't because I'm not Thai and still enjoy western things. Air conditioning is something that definitely separates me from the locals.

Better question IMO, how many could life as the Thais do in villages in Isaan, if they had no choice. Met some Farangs that are doing it but I think I'm happier with my situation than they seem to be.

I live Thai style , sleep on the floor, on a mattress, shower with cold, water from a water butt, go to market with the Thai family at 5 am, go to bed when getting dark, so not to get bitten by snakes or spiders or many other insects. Love it , that's Thai style

• Like 1

I live exactly the same here as I always have wherever I happen to be in the world at the time.

I don't see why should I change in any way, all that's changed is my location and I'm pretty sure I'll always be the same me regardless of where I live.

Then again I don't require any 'culture' to cling to. Culture in my opinion is merely an indoctrination into the ways of those around you, it's an illusion.

Your avatar, your board name, UKrules, suggest the opposite

I live Thai style , sleep on the floor, on a mattress, shower with cold, water from a water butt, go to market with the Thai family at 5 am, go to bed when getting dark, so not to get bitten by snakes or spiders or many other insects. Love it , that's Thai style

Considering you live in Bangkok, thats amazing mate

• Like 1

Considering you live in Bangkok, thats amazing mate

Believe it or not Sherlock, I have Thai family in Rannong,, Koh lak, Cappa,. phuket, Sahmut Sahkon and a few other places I have a House in Sahmut Prakan.,, and I have a house in in England. . I tried to do some research on you but all it says is your a male.

Edited by Thongkorn