Thailand Driving License: Tough new tests from 1st June 2014

Loads of money making opportunities here then. One smart arse takes the written test and sells copies outside the test center for 300 Baht is just one idea.

What's needed is law enforcement with heavy fines and driving bans for wrongdoer's. How many times have i seen people on phones or stuffing food in their face while driving ? How many jump red lights ? How many tailgate at high speed ? and on and on.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but in the US, applicants are given one of several different written tests.

I theory I suppose Thailand could do the same and have several different versions of the written test, but it would just take longer to get them out on the street.

Best thing is enforcing the existing laws, plus it would create more revenue.

The penalty for running a red light in California is currently $490.00 USD

Either way, Thailand needs to get the unsafe drivers off of the road and implementing safety laws.

No more 5 people on a motorcycle, talking/texting on a phone while driving, mandatory wearing of seat belts, no riders in the back of pick-ups without seats with safety belts, helmet laws, etc...along with vehicle safety regulations - tickets for worn tires, non-functional headlights/brakelights/turn signals or fail to use them.

And I'm sure the BIB's would welcome the extra Tea money.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You bitch and moan and complain about the lack of good rules etc. and as soon as they start upgrading the system you bitch and moan and complain.

You're right on the nose. Any of the foreign "guests" who lived here 25 years ago can tell you that the quality of driving has greatly improved over the years and the days of "buy your license" corruption have greatly diminished. Sure, there's still a long way to go, but how is this not a step in the right direction?

And to all the whiners complaining about what terrible drivers "these people" are, you're probably not as great a driver as you think. If you truly believe that Thais are the world's worst drivers, you need to get out more. Try driving in Nepal, Calcutta, Burma, Vietnam, Lagos, Nairobi, Sao Paulo, Cambodia, Jakarta, Cairo, etc. and then get back to me on that one.

It's not going to make people better drivers or reduce their levels of road rage. The Roads in Thailand are full of unlicensed drivers and idiots. Get the police out onto the roads and actually book people breaking the laws.

The article seemed to focus on the drivers license. What the police do or don't do is another part of the puzzle not mentioned in the story.

I'm not in the position to foresee how this will improve drivers in the future. If I could foretell the future, my stock portfolio would be much improved.

It always amazes me how quick they are to announce changes at least this time we have got two weeks notice it is normally " As of Today "

In Europe it would take at least one year to implement if not longer no doubt someone will be making big buck by selling the questions and answers to obtaining your driving licence.

After 8 years of living in Thailand I have yet to be asked for my driving license I will be renewing it on Wednesday as it has just expired when I went to renew it last month at the transport office I was told it still had a week to go before the expired date so come back as they cannot renew a license that has not expired can only happen in Thailand

"...no doubt someone will be making big buck by selling the questions and answers to obtaining your driving licence."

They (all1000 of them) will be available online so no big bucks there for anyone.

"...they cannot renew a license that has not expired... "

Seems perfectly logical to me but then I'm not an inveterate Thai basher.

BANGKOK:-- The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced the start of a strict new testing and examination process for obtaining a driving license in Thailand.

Which won't affect many people at all. The "ordinary" Thais I know don't have one, nor do they need one.

post-158336-0-90389800-1400300180_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

It would be better to enforce the existing laws to prevent from reckless driving,You can not produce the better drivers by making them going through new strict tests. Make the existing drivers to follow the law.

i totally agree but i am sorry to say they need to stamp out this (the falang is ALWAYS in the wrong ) in an road incident

I just looked at my Thai liscense and of course, it expired on the 28th of March 2014. Does anyone know the regulations / requirements / problems or pitfals to avoid in obtaining a renewal? Does it matter that my liscense is 2 months expired?

Input will be appreciated.. I will post my experience.

I have been driving on my UK licence for the last 10 years,no problem.In that time I have had a couple of minor bumps,once with a taxi,he pulled out without looking and another with a m/c who cut across the front of me and I had no chance of missing.I have always maintained 1st class insurance and when the assesors came they took a picture of my licence and no questions asked.I used to get stopped regularly on the Don Mueng tollway.Showed them my licence which they accepted.The reason I didn't bother with a Thai licence is because a friend of mine went to the Lad Phroa office to get an international licence and he was told he did not need his UK licence was ok,Just as an extra precaution if I get pulled over I never give them my licence but hold it so they can read it.

Then you have been exactly the same as many Thais for the last 9 1/2 yrs .... driving WITHOUT a license ......... your UK license is only valid for 6 months (enough time to allow you to get a Thai license)

Can you show me where it states this,I would hate to break the law.

You bitch and moan and complain about the lack of good rules etc. and as soon as they start upgrading the system you bitch and moan and complain.

You're right on the nose. Any of the foreign "guests" who lived here 25 years ago can tell you that the quality of driving has greatly improved over the years and the days of "buy your license" corruption have greatly diminished. Sure, there's still a long way to go, but how is this not a step in the right direction?

And to all the whiners complaining about what terrible drivers "these people" are, you're probably not as great a driver as you think. If you truly believe that Thais are the world's worst drivers, you need to get out more. Try driving in Nepal, Calcutta, Burma, Vietnam, Lagos, Nairobi, Sao Paulo, Cambodia, Jakarta, Cairo, etc. and then get back to me on that one.

Agreed. I've been coming to Thailand since 1993 and now live here full-time. Things are sometimes slow to change, as they are in many parts of the world, but change does come.

I've learned that regardless of what is done or what progress is made, there is a small, vocal minority that makes a lot of noise and is never quite happy. It's not a TVF phenomenon.

Chat with someone today and comment about the beautiful clouds in the sky. The "Unhappies" may say ""Yes, but it may rain". Comment that you ate at a great restaurant and their reply may be, "Yes, but the prices have gone up". Share that life is good and a reply may be forthcoming such as, "Glad yours is, but mine is $&!@!.

Perhaps if the "Unhappies" traveled to Nepal, Calcutta, Burma, Vietnam, Lagos, Nairobi, Sao Paulo, Cambodia, Jakarta, Cairo, they would bring back stories about how backward these places are, regardless of the beauty that also exists there.

"Live Life on Life's Terms".

Edited by Benmart

In Denmark from July 1st there come a new rule for alcohol drivers. If police take you with more end 1 bear in your blood system they can take your car and the taks office sell your car and you not get any money for the sale og the car. high ticket and no driving licence for 5 5 or 10 years if you have been taking more end 1 or 2 times you can't get the driving licence back again

In Denmark from July 1st there come a new rule for alcohol drivers. If police take you with more end 1 bear in your blood system they can take your car and the taks office sell your car and you not get any money for the sale og the car. high ticket and no driving licence for 5 5 or 10 years if you have been taking more end 1 or 2 times you can't get the driving licence back again

You don't get your license when you're high? Strange country, indeed.

It always amazes me how quick they are to announce changes at least this time we have got two weeks notice it is normally " As of Today "

In Europe it would take at least one year to implement if not longer no doubt someone will be making big buck by selling the questions and answers to obtaining your driving licence.

After 8 years of living in Thailand I have yet to be asked for my driving license I will be renewing it on Wednesday as it has just expired when I went to renew it last month at the transport office I was told it still had a week to go before the expired date so come back as they cannot renew a license that has not expired can only happen in Thailand

"...no doubt someone will be making big buck by selling the questions and answers to obtaining your driving licence."

They (all1000 of them) will be available online so no big bucks there for anyone.

"...they cannot renew a license that has not expired... "

Seems perfectly logical to me but then I'm not an inveterate Thai basher.

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when your perfect in every way.

Recently, whilst having to wait for a colleague at Central Centre Pattaya, I was able to watch a routine "stop" of mini-bus drivers, by local police. 9/10 did not have a licence, smiled, and were directed left to the police station...Disturbing!

Won't change a thing. Theory blah blah. The test needs to be through a qualified driving instructor and be practical, like, you know, in grown up countries. But, even then, if one has no brain, there is no hope. Keep on rockin in the free world.

I can't foresee the future, so I will reserve my comments concerning what has not occurred yet. As for "grown up" countries, I'm not quite sure what the definition of one is.

There are some that possess a "brain", but seldom use it. Mine had been in cold storage for years until I looked at the world in a more positive light.

Freedom is rockin.

Cop in Kalasin couldn't give me a ticket for making an "illegal U-turn," because every time he pointed to the "no U-turn" sign at the intersection, I pointed to the big white "U-turn OK" paint on the road. Intersection right in the town of San Pa Tong has a green right turn arrow to indicate when one can make a right turn. To make the right turn, however, one must drive over a solid yellow line painted right through the intersection.

Just two examples. I'm sure you all have many more. A great many of the roads in Thailand are not designed for four wheeled vehicles in the first place. Those who "maintain" the roads just make matters worse. It often just doesn't seem possible to drive in a legal way here, so who can fault all the unlicensed drivers (50%, north of Bangkok, maybe?) for just trying to do the best they can, keeping a steady smile on hand for all who might complain?

What's bad is I just went back to the U S after 5 years here and I could see my driving skills and attitude towards other drivers had gone down hill a lot.

They also need to do something about drunk driving, though it will never happen. But when you are drunk and have an accident and can buy your way out for 20,000, the problem will never go away

Drunk driving in Thailand can land one in a bad situation. I was chatting with an acquaintance fom Germany last night. He shared that several days ago he was stopped on his scooter in Pattaya and registered .07 BAL (Blood alcohol level). His company in jail consisted of Thais and a few other farangs that were there for the same offense.

Sentence...20,000 Baht or six days in jail. One night there was enough for him. His friend paid the fine and he commented that he would never do that again! The judge told him if he were caught again, the fine would be "much higher" and the jail time "longer".

We chatted about the consequences of DUI in our respective countries which are higher fines, more jail time and drivers license restrictions or revocations.

Stories that you can buy your way out of everything may have some validity, perhaps, but not in all cases. I prefer not to test those waters.

Blessuck me.. I never knew 4 hours was the initial requirement.

Jesus Christo...... now it's 12. That's of great benefit. 4 hours teaching what a pedal is... jam dai dee na krap... . Lessons 4-8 hours: please remember the middle one... Oh! sorry... old instruction booklet... forget the middle one.... the one on the right is MOST important...

Lessons 8-12... leo sai. kwaa.... mai chai... drong bai as fast as you can.... in the fast lane too.... you have a huge one....1

Any lessons about slowing down approaching a yaba induced lorry driver on a frontage road? Put ur foot down quick to get past, before he swerves right to put the **its up you! Any lessons about 'greng-jai' to your fellow drivers..... like not carrying a metal pole or bamboo stick in your car, in case you get angry.

Mind you, sarcasm ignored, 12 hours of learning to drive is much better than 4. wink.png ... (unless your name is Na Ayudhya, or similar.) wink.png

12 hours only means they will get an extra 8 hours of sleep

Thai driving and international driving standards in the same breath I also take it that the easy option purchase price of a driving licence will now rocket from 500Baht. It would be very good for Thailand’s shocking driving record if it works having a proper driving test. anything is better than nothing.

Can they please include in the new teaching scheme 'how to use a roundabout'.

lol....yesterday I had an idiot stop in the middle of the roundabout and give way to me to enter...I was on his left.....nice idiot but.....I took advantage of it.

Some roundabouts in Thailand still have the white lines drawn "ON" the roundabout indicating that you should give way to those entering the roundabout.

But that has nothing to do with them traversing the island in the wrong direction, they take the shortest route regardless of traffic.

Nice to to see they put more effort on this subject but as others already said, driving without a licence must be punished more harsh, like minimum 5.000,- Baht or when refuse to pay some jailtime, if involved in an accident jailtime and the vehicle should be confiscated when caught without a licence! Otherwise no learning curve here.

coffee1.gif

"Any driver who wishes to renew their 5 year Thai driving license will also need to attend a one hour ‘refresher’ lecture in order to bring them up to speed with the new curriculum"

Funny, have been last week to renew my 5 years licence and have to follow the course for 1 hour so too, but it is all in Thai, you should watch the movie in Thai.

I heard they had this plan already beofre, but didn't push it because it would cost them votes!!?? Now that won't be a problem when they install an unelected council. good time to push this plan and teach people to drive proper....Might this be an upside of the unelcted BS council. ah well