Are there different visa options for Laotian people compared to Farangs?

A Thai friend has a Laotian girlfriend and she talks about going to do an In-Out every month. What with all the recent activity and rule changes to stop border runs it got me thinking about what options Laos people have.

It will be more difficult.

“Out-in visa runs will still be possible but they have to show a credible tourism plan and give details of their accommodation to the officials”.

[The national commander of Thai Immigration] said that Russians, South Koreans and Vietnamese in particular are in the spotlight...That said, other nationalities will not escape notice.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725773-immigration-boss-confirms-the-out-in-visa-run-is-dead/?p=7816055#entry7816055

Immigration officers may also ask for proof that tourists have enough money to support themselves for the proposed stay in Thailand before stamping them back in for 15 or 30 days.

It is important to understand that Immigration officials have wide discretionary powers. If, for example, a visa-run tourist can show that he or she is staying in a certain place and has enough money, then a fourth or fifth extension may well be granted.

My girlfriend is Lao too and she has many 'sisters' living in Thailand, some with Thai partners and some illegally working. All have been doing in-out border runs without hassle for the last 5 years. One friend is doing a run today, so I will find out how it went.

As I understand it, Lao citizens are allowed 30 days in Thailand but I don't think it has to be for "tourist" purposes. Obviously they can't work with out a migrant work permit, but this is only given for menial jobs, and most of them are aerning far more in the "shady' employment sector!

What worries me is how the Laos that are NOT working, but who live here supported by the partners (whether Thai or foreign) will be able to continue staying here.

My girlfriend is Lao too and she has many 'sisters' living in Thailand, some with Thai partners and some illegally working. All have been doing in-out border runs without hassle for the last 5 years. One friend is doing a run today, so I will find out how it went.

As I understand it, Lao citizens are allowed 30 days in Thailand but I don't think it has to be for "tourist" purposes Yes it does - border trading purposes may be allowed too though, but I'm not sure, however working for a company in Thailand is not. Obviously they can't work with out a migrant work permit, but this is only given for menial jobs, and most of them are aerning far more in the "shady' employment sector!

What worries me is how the Laos that are NOT working, but who live here supported by the partners (whether Thai or foreign) will be able to continue staying here.

Mostly correct - only Lao citizens on work permits issued for unskilled labour have a visa option different to everyone else (except Cambodians and Burmese, who can get the same type of visa).

For all other purposes of stay, Lao citizens get the same kind of visas as every other nationality i.e. a non-B for higher skilled work and a student visa for students, tourist visa for tourists or a visa exemption for short term stays.

The average Lao resident of Vientiane, driving their Landcruisers, Vigos, Hyundai Elantras etc. to Central Udon Thani to eat seafood at Laem Charoen seafood, McDonalds etc. or for shopping and other legitimate purposes on day trips or for a couple of days won't be affected. It's even possible to travel as far as Udon Thani just on border passes. Passports are required for longer stays and to travel further.

Similarly, Lao traders that cross the border regularly but don't stay more than a day or a couple of days at most shouldn't be affected. Only those using 30 day back-to-back options will be affected.

BTW I have noticed there are plenty of illegal Vietnamese workers living in Laos (many in Vientiane) that cross to Nong Khai monthly to do a visa run, but this time to extend their Lao stays. I even met one such guy from Hanoi once, he showed me his passport which was full of Lao visa exempt stamps and plenty of Thai 30 day stamps used for only one day. I drove him across the border into Laos in my car after he was caught running around like a headless chicken at the toll booth on the Thai side and not allowed to walk across (strangely he refused my offer to drive him beyond Lao customs into town, which begs the question why didn't he catch a bus across the bridge in the first place?!)

As I understand it, Lao citizens are allowed 30 days in Thailand but I don't think it has to be for "tourist" purposes Yes it does - border trading purposes may be allowed too though, but I'm not sure, however working for a company in Thailand is not. Obviously they can't work with out a migrant work permit, but this is only given for menial jobs, and most of them are aerning far more in the "shady' employment sector!

Mostly correct - only Lao citizens on work permits issued for unskilled labour have a visa option different to everyone else (except Cambodians and Burmese, who can get the same type of visa).

For all other purposes of stay, Lao citizens get the same kind of visas as every other nationality i.e. a non-B for higher skilled work and a student visa for students, tourist visa for tourists or a visa exemption for short term stays.

The average Lao resident of Vientiane, driving their Landcruisers, Vigos, Hyundai Elantras etc. to Central Udon Thani to eat seafood at Laem Charoen seafood, McDonalds etc. or for shopping and other legitimate purposes on day trips or for a couple of days won't be affected. It's even possible to travel as far as Udon Thani just on border passes. Passports are required for longer stays and to travel further.

Similarly, Lao traders that cross the border regularly but don't stay more than a day or a couple of days at most shouldn't be affected. Only those using 30 day back-to-back options will be affected.

BTW I have noticed there are plenty of illegal Vietnamese workers living in Laos (many in Vientiane) that cross to Nong Khai monthly to do a visa run, but this time to extend their Lao stays. I even met one such guy from Hanoi once, he showed me his passport which was full of Lao visa exempt stamps and plenty of Thai 30 day stamps used for only one day. I drove him across the border into Laos in my car after he was caught running around like a headless chicken at the toll booth on the Thai side and not allowed to walk across (strangely he refused my offer to drive him beyond Lao customs into town, which begs the question why didn't he catch a bus across the bridge in the first place?!)

Thanks. So how can a Lao citizen legally stay (live) in Thailand with their Thai or foreign partner who is legally living there?

As I understand it, Lao citizens are allowed 30 days in Thailand but I don't think it has to be for "tourist" purposes. Obviously they can't work with out a migrant work permit, but this is only given for menial jobs, and most of them are aerning far more in the "shady' employment sector!

Just because most people on migrant labour permits do menial jobs doesn't mean they can't be used for other types of jobs. Certainly options on the application for admin work etc...

If they are here being supported by their partners and they are married they get the correct visa don't they?

Edited by samran

Just because most people on migrant labour permits do menial jobs doesn't mean they can't be used for other types of jobs. Certainly options on the application for admin work etc...

If they are here being supported by their partners and they are married they get the correct visa don't they?

And if not married?

And if not married?

Then like everyone else knows, Thailand doesn't recognise defacto arrangements. Not something I necessarily agree with, but thems the rules.

• Like 1

Personally, I think its pretty outrageous for Laotians to be catagorised with all the others in the latest restrictions. I agree with Samran about that's how it is - although let's be fair here. They've been coming into Thailand long before anyone else and vice versa (Thais) before all us Farangs invaded these lands.

Laotians get 30 days because of a bilateral agreement that also allows Thai's to enter Laos for 30 days. I am not sure that immigration will be as tough on them as others. I am sure there are lot of Thai's that are using it for business reasons. It they did it might result in Laos doing the same to Thai's.

• Like 1

The girl having a small foodstall/restaurant outside my apartmentis is from Lao. She lives here in Bangkok with her Thai boyfriend. Two times have I gone together with her to the Immigration in Bangkok to extend my visa. And she to extend her. Both times I got 30 days and she one year. So I belive there are options for a Lao girl living with a Thai man

Edited by larsjohnsson

The girl having a small foodstall/restaurant outside my apartmentis is from Lao. She lives here in Bangkok with her Thai boyfriend. Two times have I gone together with her to the Immigration in Bangkok to extend my visa. And she to extend her. Both times I got 30 days and she one year. So I belive there are options for a Lao girl living with a Thai man

She may have a non-la visa/extension that is a special visa for migrant workers.

Maybe so Lars however, my G/F is from Laos and been getting 30 days for God knows how long although now saved by the bell and has a secretarial job and work permit The way these Cambodian immigration people treat people from Laos and other Asian countries is disgraceful but hey' that's another subject.

Laotians get 30 days because of a bilateral agreement that also allows Thai's to enter Laos for 30 days. I am not sure that immigration will be as tough on them as others. I am sure there are lot of Thai's that are using it for business reasons. It they did it might result in Laos doing the same to Thai's.

I do hope you're right!

She may have a non-la visa/extension that is a special visa for migrant workers.

The LA extension is usually 2 years and at different offices which makes me think it might not be the case. Suspect she might be on an non immigrant O extension married to a Thai male?

It will be more difficult.

“Out-in visa runs will still be possible but they have to show a credible tourism plan and give details of their accommodation to the officials”.

[The national commander of Thai Immigration] said that Russians, South Koreans and Vietnamese in particular are in the spotlight...That said, other nationalities will not escape notice.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725773-immigration-boss-confirms-the-out-in-visa-run-is-dead/?p=7816055#entry7816055

Immigration officers may also ask for proof that tourists have enough money to support themselves for the proposed stay in Thailand before stamping them back in for 15 or 30 days.

It is important to understand that Immigration officials have wide discretionary powers. If, for example, a visa-run tourist can show that he or she is staying in a certain place and has enough money, then a fourth or fifth extension may well be granted.

I have met many Thais with Lao wives. Two of them said that a residency card only required a trip to immigration and filling out a form - no mention of any 'fee'.

The rules are supposed to be relaxed for ASEAN member states.

Years ago, unlimited 30 day extensions were possible by making a short visit to Immigration - pay the fee - stay another 30 days - address and proof of income were not required.

That being said, the stricter rules are intended for those who cheat to work here illegally, but long term retirees, et. al. will suffer under the added scrutiny...

I have met many Thais with Lao wives. Two of them said that a residency card only required a trip to immigration and filling out a form - no mention of any 'fee'.

The rules are supposed to be relaxed for ASEAN member states.

Years ago, unlimited 30 day extensions were possible by making a short visit to Immigration - pay the fee - stay another 30 days - address and proof of income were not required.

That being said, the stricter rules are intended for those who cheat to work here illegally, but long term retirees, et. al. will suffer under the added scrutiny...

I have seen several Thai husbands and their Lao wives applying for extensions up here at immigration. They had the house photos and etc just like everybody else. I even saw one couple handing over 20K baht for an overstay.

Nobody gets a residency card. There are some that may get pink ID cards.

There are no special rules for ASEAN citizens. Every country has different entry rules.

• Like 2

Are the rules for Laotian, Cambodian and Burmese people going to change when the new ASEAN agreement comes into effect on 01-01-2015? And how about the other nationalities of the ASEAN member states? Will they still need a visa to come and live in Thailand after 01-01-2015? Does anybody know?

Edited by peergin

the lao (gals) i know are prostitutes, catering thai male (including thai police). they have no issues with back-to-back viaruns....

Indeed many Lao girls work in the "service" industry in Pattaya and other places and, up to now, have had no problems doing in-out monthly border runs. Whether this will be so after 12 August is not so clear.

Personally, I think its pretty outrageous for Laotians to be catagorised with all the others in the latest restrictions. I agree with Samran about that's how it is - although let's be fair here. They've been coming into Thailand long before anyone else and vice versa (Thais) before all us Farangs invaded these lands.

Not outrageous, no need to be that PC. Laotians are great people but their country is a lot poorer than Thailand and that makes Thailand a very attractive country for them, much more than for the "farangs" that "invaded" Thailand.

Are the rules for Laotian, Cambodian and Burmese people going to change when the new ASEAN agreement comes into effect on 01-01-2015? And how about the other nationalities of the ASEAN member states? Will they still need a visa to come and live in Thailand after 01-01-2015? Does anybody know?

Of course they will still need a visa to live here. Nothing much will change under AEC, which BTW starts on 31-12-2015, not 01-01. Only a few professional jobs will be more open to ASEAN nationals than now. If AEC allowed for freedom of movement like the EU, expect half of Vietnam to live in Singapore and Malaysia, Indonesians will mostly be in Singapore and Malaysia too and so will the Thais. Yeah right, like that's going to happen...

• Like 2

Of course they will still need a visa to live here. Nothing much will change under AEC, which BTW starts on 31-12-2015, not 01-01. Only a few professional jobs will be more open to ASEAN nationals than now. If AEC allowed for freedom of movement like the EU, expect half of Vietnam to live in Singapore and Malaysia, Indonesians will mostly be in Singapore and Malaysia too and so will the Thais. Yeah right, like that's going to happen...

Except until now, Lao citizens have enjoyed unrestricted 30-day access to Thailand without the need for a visa. Most of the Laos I know have been doing monthly in-out border runs for years without any hassle. This looks like it might change with the new restrictions, but maybe Laos will be treated differently...

My Wife is Lao

My Kids Dutch

For the last 10 years my wife and kids life with me on a Non O depended extension based on extension of stay on my part.

That means re-entry visas and paperwork.

Money and visas for Laos

Now........for the last 10 years many foreigners have called me a fool, citing the money and the haslle which they (with a Lao wife on a 'walk in' visa didn't have)

Since I want to have a 'normal' functioning' family i stuck to my principle.......The Law is my shepard'

Result

My wife has a drivers licence

we have house registration

Kids are accepted at private school

My wife drives and owns motor cycle and car

We function, within the legal frame work the Thai immigration has given us.

Life is all abut choices.

• Like 2

My Wife is Lao

My Kids Dutch

For the last 10 years my wife and kids life with me on a Non O depended extension based on extension of stay on my part.

That means re-entry visas and paperwork.

Money and visas for Laos

Now........for the last 10 years many foreigners have called me a fool, citing the money and the haslle which they (with a Lao wife on a 'walk in' visa didn't have)

Since I want to have a 'normal' functioning' family i stuck to my principle.......The Law is my shepard'

Result

My wife has a drivers licence

we have house registration

Kids are accepted at private school

My wife drives and owns motor cycle and car

We function, within the legal frame work the Thai immigration has given us.

Life is all abut choices.

Thanks. Marriage seems to be the only option, if Laos passport holders are not going to continue to be allowed unlimited 30-day access. Not wanting to sidetrack this thread, but I'm hesitant about marrying my Lao girlfriend because of the difficulties in doing so. Is it really such a complicated, lengthy and expensive process as many have described? Did you marry in Laos or Thailand or Netherlands?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Except until now, Lao citizens have enjoyed unrestricted 30-day access to Thailand without the need for a visa. Most of the Laos I know have been doing monthly in-out border runs for years without any hassle. This looks like it might change with the new restrictions, but maybe Laos will be treated differently...

Why would they be treated differently? The articles I've read clearly state that Lao citizens are being targeted. There are already plenty of visa options available to them - they can get a migrant labour visa for unskilled work or a student visa for studying etc. Those that aren't eligible or don't want to play by the rules will likely go underground and continue to live here illegally.

The unrestricted 30-day access to Thailand has been abused by citizens of many countries, including Laos. Those days are about to end. Please read the associated articles again.

• Like 1