Dual citizen having a baby in Bangkok

Hello, I have a USA and Thai passport as I was born in the States and my father is Thai. I am having a child in a few months in Thailand. The mother is a Thai citizen. I have read the requirements from the US embassy for me to apply for citizenship for my child and I meet all of them. One requirement is that my name be on the child's birth certificate. So I'm assuming I definitely need to show the hospital my USA passport when they ask who the father is for the birth certificate. I don't have a current visa or entry stamp on my American passport because I used my Thai passport for entry.

So my 2 questions are

1.) I must show the hospital my USA passport and not Thai in order to apply for USA citizenship for my child?

2.) Does it matter if I have a current visa in my American passport since I used my Thai passport for entry?

Thanks for any advice or clarification.

Since the OP is Thai he would show his Thai ID card instead of a passport. A passport would only be needed for a non Thai parent.

but i need to show proof I'm american on the childs birth certificate in order for the child to get its american citizenship

Since the OP is Thai he would show his Thai ID card instead of a passport. A passport would only be needed for a non Thai parent.

but i need to show proof I'm american on the childs birth certificate in order for the child to get its american citizenship

I have dual passports, English/Norwegian, name of father on birth certificate and then show my correct passports at the embassy in question. Voila, 2 passports for baby ;)

• Like 1

I just got Citizenship papers for my kids.

Australian Father, Thai mother.

Nothing at the Hospital ... everything at the Embassy.

The Embassy wanted a certified copy of my Birth Certificate as well as my Passport.

A Thai Birth Certificate means little ... a mans name on the certificate has no legal bearing on him being the Father.

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

Edited by David48

I have dual passports, English/Norwegian, name of father on birth certificate and then show my correct passports at the embassy in question. Voila, 2 passports for baby wink.png

Ok thanks for that...so i guess they don't ask for any passport at the hospital. just ask for fathers name.

The Embassy wanted a certified copy of my Birth Certificate as well as my Passport.

thank you. that helps.

I'm having child at Bumrungrad. i was told they handle the BC there and don't need to register at amphur. anybody know if this is true?

The info on the embassy website and instructions for the DS-2029 does not say anything about your nationality being on the birth certificate. All it says is you will need the child's birth certificate

See: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/birth-of-a-u.s.-citizen-in-thailand.html

WOW ... Bumrungrad ... you must be very rich ... seriously.

There are so many equally good Private Hospital options at 1/2 the price!

We had our birth at a Bangkok private hospital. Bt 42,000, 4 days/3 nights, C-Section ... how does that compare for costs?

The Hospital gave us the Birth Certificate.

As for 'register at amphur' ... no, the entry in the blue book was done by us, and it has to be done at the amphur the Hospital is in ... not where your partner is registered.

Well, that is our experience.

Edited by David48

thank you. that helps.

I'm having child at Bumrungrad. i was told they handle the BC there and don't need to register at amphur. anybody know if this is true?

I think what they mean is that they will handle the registration at the Amphoe for you.

Yeh, but then he would get "Nationality of father Thai" printed on the birth certificate.

And I'm thinking he really wants "Nationality of father American" printed on the birth certificate.

thank you. that helps.

I think what they mean is that they will handle the registration at the Amphoe for you.

They can, but you really don't want them to do that.

All sorts of nasty problems can arise from letting the hospital do the job.

The least being bad spelling, the worst being you not listed as father.

As you are not married to mom, the Amphur office may not enter your name, or enter someone elses name, or miss spell your name.

They don't care, where you do care, so do it yourself, and check the spelling of everything before they do the print out at the Amphur office yourself.

A Thai Birth Certificate means little ... a mans name on the certificate has no legal bearing on him being the Father.

But all the foreigner home countries have different rules, and they are the ones issuing the dual nationality.

US wants US citizens name on birth certificate, or else!

... all the foreigner home countries have different rules, and they are the ones issuing the dual nationality.

I understand, and have no idea what the USA rules are.

But, how does the Thai Hospital have the comprehension or legal right to enter 'Child of a USA Citizen' on a Birth Cerificate? A Passport is a travel document ... not a citizenship document.

Not contesting ... just asking.

... all the foreigner home countries have different rules, and they are the ones issuing the dual nationality.

I understand, and have no idea what the USA rules are.

But, how does the Thai Hospital have the comprehension or legal right to enter 'Child of a USA Citizen' on a Birth Cerificate? A Passport is a travel document ... not a citizenship document.

Not contesting ... just asking.

They don't, hospital only issue a receipt for the baby, all the real paperwork is done by Amphur office.

Mom hands over Thai ID card, dad hands over US passport at Amphur office.

Amphur office makes photocopies then copies ID card number + nationality for mom, Passport number + nationality for dad.

This info is also written on the house book.

If you look at your kids house book, it will have your name, nationality and passport number above each kids name.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

thank you. that helps.

My Wife (Thai) and I (Brit) had our child at Bumrungrad a few months back. I can confirm - they take care of all the necessary paperwork regarding birth certification (both Thai Birth Certificate and a Certified Translation).

My Wife also added our Son to our house book at the Amphur office (he needs his Thai Birth certification for Amphur registration)

He will need his Amphur registration for his Thai Passport.

Regarding a US Passport - I can't be sure for a US citizen as I am British, I can't imagine too much dissimilarity in the process or requirements but there will be some.

Application for a UK Passport for my Son.

I required my Own Birth Certification (full copy naming both my parents and their nationality).

I also required my Passport colour photo copy every page and a colour photo copy of my Wifes ID (plus the original to show).

OP: As you yourself are dual nationality there maybe some additional complication (or not), for a British applicant Citizenship is not automatically grandfathered in.

i.e. Born in Thailand to a Thai mother and British father my Son's British nationality will not automatically pass on to my Grandchildren unless they are born in the UK. I don't know whether or not the US has a similar regulation, this could be something worth looking into.

thank you. that helps.

My Wife (Thai) and I (Brit) had our child at Bumrungrad a few months back. I can confirm - they take care of all the necessary paperwork regarding birth certification (both Thai Birth Certificate and a Certified Translation).

My Wife also added our Son to our house book at the Amphur office (he needs his Thai Birth certification for Amphur registration)

He will need his Amphur registration for his Thai Passport.

Regarding a US Passport - I can't be sure for a US citizen as I am British, I can't imagine too much dissimilarity in the process or requirements but there will be some.

Application for a UK Passport for my Son.

I required my Own Birth Certification (full copy naming both my parents and their nationality).

I also required my Passport colour photo copy every page and a colour photo copy of my Wifes ID (plus the original to show).

OP: As you yourself are dual nationality there maybe some additional complication (or not), for a British applicant Citizenship is not automatically grandfathered in.

i.e. Born in Thailand to a Thai mother and British father my Son's British nationality will not automatically pass on to my Grandchildren unless they are born in the UK. I don't know whether or not the US has a similar regulation, this could be something worth looking into.

The rules are completely different for USA and UK. For example.

UK fathers have to be born in the UK to pass on UK citizenship, and your kid can't (unless he lives in UK for 5 years).

USA fathers can pass on US citizenship, and their kids can too.

We had our birth at a Bangkok private hospital. Bt 42,000, 4 days/3 nights, C-Section ... how does that compare for costs?

As for 'register at amphur' ... no, the entry in the blue book was done by us, and it has to be done at the amphur the Hospital is in ... not where your partner is registered.

At Bumrungrad - about 300,000 Baht (Insurance paid) - 5 days / 4 nights

That was for Attempted natural birth followed by C section just to get the little blighter out.

The Hospital gave us the Birth Certification and MFA approved translation.

We registered our child in the house book (blue book) at our nearest Amphur - This is where my Wife and house are registered.

As far as equally good private hospitals for half the cost - Agreed, there probably are - but if the Op can afford the best, especially for piece of mind, then I'd say go for it.

The US Embassy will require a DNA test which the kit is supplied by them and sent to their lab.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/birth-of-a-u.s.-citizen-in-thailand.html

Note that if DNA testing is recommended, this process can take an additional 1-2 months to complete. Therefore, we encourage new parents to plan accordingly and to schedule a CRBA appointment as soon as possible after the birth of their child.

Yeh, but then he would get "Nationality of father Thai" printed on the birth certificate.

And I'm thinking he really wants "Nationality of father American" printed on the birth certificate.

Both parents should present their Thai IDs for the birth certificate. The birth certificate will state both parents as Thai. This is useful later for later down the track as there are still some arcane corners of Thai law which differentiate or discriminate against Thai citizens with a foreign parent.

The US embassy, nor any country which does not have a problem with dual citizenship will not have a problem with the US parent being listed as Thai on a Thai birth certificate so long as they can determine that the listed parent has proof of us citizenship by other means.

In other words, the US embassy won't grant citizenship to your child just because a Thai birth certificate happens to state the parent as a us citizen. They'll look for other things but the fact your name is on the Thai BC at least proves you are you.

All the best and congrats of the forthcoming birth!

I want to thank everybody for their contribution to this topic. Lots of helpful information from everyone. Seems that this isn't too uncommon as many of you have got dual citizenship for your children. To play it safe, I will just follow in your steps and not even mention i have a Thai citizenship.

I want to thank everybody for their contribution to this topic. Lots of helpful information from everyone. Seems that this isn't too uncommon as many of you have got dual citizenship for your children. To play it safe, I will just follow in your steps and not even mention i have a Thai citizenship.

I strongly suggest you DONT do that.

When you register your child on your blue house book at the ampur, and you present yourself as a US citizen father of a child, it will clash with your own entry in the house book and cause confusion and I dare say some grief with local officials questioning your thai nationality. For the Thai side, keep it all Thai.

We are doing a C section package and the cost is 89,000 and i can't remember how many days and nights are included.i think 3 days and 2 nights. We just had our 20 week visit today and it was 6,000 for the visit and ultrasound. (I'm going to have a boy!) last months visit was 17,000 baht for ultrasound and blood work. We make appointments but have been showing up whenever. Never a wait and our Dr. is always there, he works 7 days a week. (Dr. Rasik) He answered questions in the ultrasound room for nearly a hour today.

Our first couple of visits were to Samitivej, but I just didn't get a good vibe there. and its only 10,000 baht cheaper. Everybody seemed so depressed and in a bad mood.

What other hospitals do you recommend, I still have time to switch....

When you register your child on your blue house book at the ampur, and you present yourself as a US citizen father of a child, it will clash with your own entry in the house book and cause confusion and I dare say some grief with local officials questioning your thai nationality. For the Thai side, keep it all Thai.

the child will be registered on my girlfriends tabian baan. I'm registered on a different tabian baan than her.

Edited by Donavan6979

the child will be registered on my girlfriends tabian baan. I'm register on a different tabian baan than here
Each to their own. But as a dual citizen myself with three kids born in Thailand, I think registering yourself as non Thai is a mistake.

I'll also have to go back and read the nationality act to make sure that doing so doesn't forfeit your claim on Thai citizenship.

Edited by samran

As I said before the info on the embassy website does not mention anything but the birth certificate. You could contact the embassy and ask if the birth certificate needs to show you as a US citizen. I think the answer will be no.

As Samran wrote you need to register your child's birth using your Thai ID and house book.