Dual citizen having a baby in Bangkok

the mother can't register the child on her tabian baan with out me...

And they'll require your Thai ID and current address. The nationality will need to match with the birth certificate.

Edited by samran

WOW ... Bumrungrad ... you must be very rich ... seriously.

There are so many equally good Private Hospital options at 1/2 the price!

We had our birth at a Bangkok private hospital. Bt 42,000, 4 days/3 nights, C-Section ... how does that compare for costs?

The Hospital gave us the Birth Certificate.

As for 'register at amphur' ... no, the entry in the blue book was done by us, and it has to be done at the amphur the Hospital is in ... not where your partner is registered.

Well, that is our experience.

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

We are doing a C section package and the cost is 89,000 and i can't remember how many days and nights are included.i think 3 days and 2 nights. We just had our 20 week visit today and it was 6,000 for the visit and ultrasound. (I'm going to have a boy!) last months visit was 17,000 baht for ultrasound and blood work. We make appointments but have been showing up whenever. Never a wait and our Dr. is always there, he works 7 days a week. (Dr. Rasik) He answered questions in the ultrasound room for nearly a hour today.

Our first couple of visits were to Samitivej, but I just didn't get a good vibe there. and its only 10,000 baht cheaper. Everybody seemed so depressed and in a bad mood.

What other hospitals do you recommend, I still have time to switch....

Ladprao hospital, 33000,- or 43000 if c-section, includes all vaccines, pills, 2 x ultrasound and 3 days/2 nights.

"The US Embassy will require a DNA test which the kit is supplied by them and sent to their lab."

That's written as if every birth 'will require' a DNA test. That's not what the link says.

"Note that if DNA testing is recommended,..."

• Like 1

WOW ... Bumrungrad ... you must be very rich ... seriously.

There are so many equally good Private Hospital options at 1/2 the price!

We had our birth at a Bangkok private hospital. Bt 42,000, 4 days/3 nights, C-Section ... how does that compare for costs?

The Hospital gave us the Birth Certificate.

As for 'register at amphur' ... no, the entry in the blue book was done by us, and it has to be done at the amphur the Hospital is in ... not where your partner is registered.

Well, that is our experience.

We are doing a C section package and the cost is 89,000 and i can't remember how many days and nights are included.i think 3 days and 2 nights. We just had our 20 week visit today and it was 6,000 for the visit and ultrasound. (I'm going to have a boy!) last months visit was 17,000 baht for ultrasound and blood work. We make appointments but have been showing up whenever. Never a wait and our Dr. is always there, he works 7 days a week. (Dr. Rasik) He answered questions in the ultrasound room for nearly a hour today.

Our first couple of visits were to Samitivej, but I just didn't get a good vibe there. and its only 10,000 baht cheaper. Everybody seemed so depressed and in a bad mood.

What other hospitals do you recommend, I still have time to switch....

Bumrungrad is excellent - It is the best hospital in Bangkok and you will get the best Dr's and Surgeons.

However, you are purchasing a 'Birth Package' this covers the basics... Should there be complications these costs will fall outside of the birth package and at a hospital such as Bumrungrad these costs could mount up significantly.

IF you have insurance (such as BUPA international, which covers Birth (after a 10 month moratorium) then everything will be covered under the insurance.

Additionally - check whether your insurance covers complications through child birth for the mother and / or child.

Failing that, if your finances don't comfortably spread to cover any possible additional costs Davids suggestion will be excellent (given his posting history on this forum), I also believe David faced some additional costs with Premature Twins... (am I correct David ?).

With all that said - fingers crossed and the best of luck.

^^ Thanks Richard (have run out of likes)

Since this has gone into the 'Where to have my baby question' ... I'm happy to tell all.

Firstly, my Thai gf chose the Hospital.

Initially she looked at the various Private Hospitals relative close to where her Family lives near Bangkok.

The Family Farm is fringe Bangkok, a taxi ride from the end of the BTS.

They she looked at the various doctors practising at those Hospitals.

Lastly she took note of the experiences of her gf's who had children recently.

Thus, a Hospital was chosen.

The Mod Sheryl usually says, choose the Doctor, rather then the Hospital.

The Hospital was chosen and we looked at their 'Package' ... an amazing concept for me

but it is what it is and, like most new things in Thailand, once you get your head around it ... it's all good.

The one we chose was costed @ Bt 42,000, 4 days/3 nights, C-Section ... for a single birth.

Now, that was the price for a single birth ... but we had TWINS.

post-104736-0-07651800-1400436416_thumb.

They were born @ 34 weeks, so decidedly premature, but not extreamly so.

They spent the first night in the Hospitals Humidicrib, the Thais say Incubator.

One had water on the lung. They tested for most things. These tests wern't in the package price.

The first three nights they had 24 hour care in the Hospitals equiviliant of the ICU unit, and they responded brilliantly.

The total costs was much more then the originial 'package' and I'll have to check with the Boss but it was in the range of Bt 60,000 - Bt 80,000 when we paid it.

Some of the pre-birth consultations with the Birth Doctor were included in the package price ... some wern't.

We paid Bt600 for the ones which wern't in the package.

I'm drilling down into the detail and I'll stop there.

But also be aware of how some (many) of the Doctors operate.

Initially we went to Government Hospital ... the Siriraj Hospital is the oldest and largest hospital in Thailand.

The same doctor, who is the leading doctor in his field in Thailand, consults there for Bt 50 as he does in Bumrungrad for, I'm sure, a very tidy price.

What Richard says above is quite true ... Bumrungrad take care of almost everything for you ... I've been a patient there when I first came to Thailand and it felt like a 5 Star Hotel.

But everything comes at a cost.

There is a good 'Pinned' thread in the Family and Children Forum entitled ... having-a-baby-in-thai-hospital ... just click that link.

The Hospital we chose is not set up for non-English speakers, but, that said, with the nurses very basic English and the Doctors quite good English, we got through it quite nicely.

The pre-natal vists were only on a Wednesday or a Saturday, but when the boys decided to pop out and greet the world and started their journey at a very inconvient 5.30 one morning ... the Doctor was there in a flash, with good English for me, accomodated my request to be present during the Birth proceedure ... everyone helped in everyway possible.

I hope that helps a little.

I want to thank everybody for their contribution to this topic. Lots of helpful information from everyone. Seems that this isn't too uncommon as many of you have got dual citizenship for your children. To play it safe, I will just follow in your steps and not even mention i have a Thai citizenship.

As I said before the info on the embassy website does not mention anything but the birth certificate. You could contact the embassy and ask if the birth certificate needs to show you as a US citizen. I think the answer will be no.

As Samran wrote you need to register your child's birth using your Thai ID and house book.

As ubonjoe writes : contact the US Embassy....they have people who are familiar with these issues

The US considers everybody born on its soil as a US ciitzen...but for a child born from an American father outside the US you should make NO mistake

I guess you do not want your child to run in the future for US president but an old article in the New York Times explains you have to know what you do ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/us/politics/28mccain.html?_r=0

Koh Samui government hospital, everything free incl. c-section, 1400 / night for private room.

Got papers from hospital, went to Tessaban to sign BC and enter child in Tabien bahn.

My sons BC, specifies my Finnish nationality and my Finnish passport number.

Koh Samui government hospital, everything free incl. c-section, 1400 / night for private room.

Got papers from hospital, went to Tessaban to sign BC and enter child in Tabien bahn.

My sons BC, specifies my Finnish nationality and my Finnish passport number.

Granted, but you aren't also a Thai dual national which is the OPs question.