What Asian country has the lowest food quality ?

Sandman77

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Philippine food without question is the worst.

I love Indian food, prefer it as take away versus eating it in a restaurant - don't laugh I like sticky rice so I can dip :)

Japanese, Korean and Thai in that order.

Now if I could only get the family to agree I'd be in gourmet heaven.

No 1 Japan without contest. In 2nd place China or India according to personal taste.

Bottom is Philippine. Second from bottom is Thailand. When I drive my helper (maid) to the market she sometimes buy take away food for herself. It smells so bad that one time I had to ask her to throw away the food.

"After I traveling one time to Mexico I was thinking this is the most miserable food I ever eat, but last year in Bali it tops the low quality top list with there miserable choice and quality fat crackers high prices even higher then in the eu maybe now cheaper of better exchange rate this year, also the size was very low always have to order 2 meals"

I've been to Bali a few times and have had some excellent meals there - better than some meals I've had elsewhere.

Alan

Mexico has "the most miserable food ever"???? If you traveled in Mexico and found the food "miserable" - sorry, that's your fault. Maybe if you focused on finding what you liked rather than what you didn't like to eat you'd have a better experience? You can find bad food anywhere.

The home-cooked food I've had SE Asia & India was usually much better than food in the average restaurant (depending on the cook), but I find this true in the West too. And there's such diversity of food and eating establishments I can always find something good. For fresh street food I usually ask them to hold the sugar, MSG & brown sauce and add extra chili pepper. I'll take Thai street food over McDonald's any day, or over Thai food in the States - usually even the good Thai food in the US is plain; they can't get fresh spices and flavorings, it's too time-consuming or expensive to prepare with fresh spices/ginger etc, or they just give up because most Westerners prefer bland food.

The worst eating experiences I have had, in Thailand and about 4-5 other countries, were on guided tours where they stop at a restaurant for lunch. I've never been on one where the food wasn't bad and sometimes inedible. In my experience any large establishment that caters exclusively to foreigners tends to be bad.

• Like 1

I'm a vegetarian so my preferences are skewed that way.

Taiwan has the best food in Asia, imho, tho I have never been to India, China or Japan. Taiwan had amazing vegetarian buffet restaurants at all price levels and great, clean, well prepared and reasonably priced street food. Great steamed dumplings.

Singapore is great for the India-Southeast Asia-China combo and huge number of good restaurants. I also find Malaysia next door to have a lot of good food and places to eat.

I rate Thailand slightly above Korea and Indonesia. Thailand could be miles beyond what it is, I feel most restaurants and places to eat produce food that cooks obviously are bored and don't care about. No love put into the food. Seems restaurants and street food vendors are under pressure to provide the cheapest food possible so the food devolves by the year is my impression. 14 years ago it didn't seem people were as sick from unclean food as much as they are today, seems it is epidemic now.

Koreans seem to put much more effort and care into the preparation, but too many places lack in hygiene, I often got sick from food in Korea much more than Thailand. I also find the cuisine a bit monotonous. Indonesia can be amazing if you find the right place and dishes. Love tempeh and what they do with it. Two of my co-workers nearly died from street food in the year I was in Jakarta, cholera. One of my students who at the age of 23 said she had survived 6 cases of cholera and counting. Jakarta can be great but the place is gonna take you down with the hygiene in that town.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Mexico has "the most miserable food ever"???? If you traveled in Mexico and found the food "miserable" - sorry, that's your fault.

Agreed, Mexico has some fantastic food. Every province seems to have its own very distinct cuisine, many of the dishes you rarely see outside of Mexico. Many of the dishes actually have roots in pre-Colombian cuisine. Great cheap bakeries, with hot bread, amazing sandwiches, tortas, in some of the bakeries using that fresh bread, real fruit juice popsicles.

• Like 2

Japan Anyone that eats bait is crazy Raw fish is bait plain and simple kimchi also in there As bad smelling Wouldn't know about taste. Not to fond of British dishes either Like kidney pie, banger ok and some pub grub. And whats with Spotted dick? is that some sort of VD I haven't heard of?cheesy.gif

• Like 1

For me the absolute hands down winner is japan,

the hygeine practices, along with service, and attention to detail is second to none

also, you simply cannot get a bad meal in japan, whether it be a local stall, local shop, or a franchise

just the sheer variety, competition thats available is amazing

I dont think ive ever had a bad meal in japan ever

Thx for input!

Can someone discribe the taste of Philippine food little bit more into detail?

What is diffrent from Thai?

Take out all the fragrant herbs, subtract the chillies and most of the spices, overcook the vegetables, add more dried smelly fish, and add a dash of blandness. Voila! Pinoy Cordon Bleu.

In contrast to all the raves over Thai, Japanese, and Indian, with which I agree, paradoxically, the Indian restaurant in Hat Yai is one of the worst bought meals I've ever had, and a side-street Japanese restaurant in Hat Yai was possibly the 2nd worse meal I have ever bought.

Edited by Seastallion

Thx for input!

Can someone discribe the taste of Philippine food little bit more into detail?

What is diffrent from Thai?

Take out all the fragrant herbs, subtract the chillies and most of the spices, overcook the vegetables, add more dried smelly fish, and add a dash of blandness. Voila! Pinoy Cordon Bleu.

and dont forget to leave it sitting out all day in the nice tropical heat festering in it own juices. The locals swear it helps with the tenderising of the intestines and what ever other god forsaken mystery meat they have managed to get their hands on at the roadkill shanty stall that morning. biggrin.png

Aussieroaming, on 18 May 2014 - 18:39, said:

Australia.....bleached chicken on steroids and fruit and vege dipped in every chemical known to man.

Australia exports it A class food goods to richer Asian neighbours and Aussies get the rubbish.

Rant over...apologies.

Keep roaming... you must have been out of Oz for a long time, hormones have been outlawed for over 50 years as for "bleached", some companies do chill the bird in chlorinated chilled water in order to sterilise and cool them. This water is less chlorinated than a properly maintained swimming pool. Having said that, 2 biggest producers, Steggles and Inghams do the same as the US... no chlorination.

Bernard Flint, on 18 May 2014 - 18:41, said:Bernard Flint, on 18 May 2014 - 18:41, said:
giddyup, on 18 May 2014 - 18:23, said:giddyup, on 18 May 2014 - 18:23, said:

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bernard Flint, on 18 May 2014 - 18:09, said:Bernard Flint, on 18 May 2014 - 18:09, said:
krisb, on 18 May 2014 - 15:58, said:krisb, on 18 May 2014 - 15:58, said:

By lowest quality, do you mean hygiene?

Anyway I think Thai food tastes much better in Australian resteraunts.

unbelivable post, ok name 5 that are better in kangaroo land

I'm inclined to agree that Thai food is better in Oz, better ingredients, cooked in sanitary conditions, by Thai chefs. Of course you are paying at least 10 times more for it.

I am waiting for the 5 foods, shall i start, green curry with bones of chicken still there, hahahhahahahahahahahahah

All Thai food in Oz...WHY... NO added MSG. I might add, even HRH doesn't allow MSG in his food...

Edited by Rorri

I was taken to an all-you-can-eat restaurant in Manila by a cheap Charlie friend who equates quantity with quality, and can honestly say I've never seen so much pig swill offered up for human consumption. I've been many times to the Philippines and can't remember having one memorable meal. Tell a lie, The Hobbit House in Manila was memorable, but only because the food was served by dwarves.

• Like 1

Craving Mexican...in Thailand...have tried eating Mex in several restaurants in several Thai cities...never again...even a starving Mexican would no touch the stuff...BAD....

OK what's the worst Asian dish? Pak Pak in Flipperland. It's made from re-cycled discarded food from the trash cans of foodstalls, restaurants, homes wherever. Then made into loose meatball shapes and served in a soup. Don't forget to try it on your next trip to the PP.

Sounds worse than Balut.

• Like 1

Coppernicussing, on 19 May 2014 - 10:30, said:

Punctuation can be a very powerful tool. Without punctuation, a legitimate question becomes the raving of a poorly fed imbecile. At least learn the function of the period.

Period.

Perhaps a "comma" following "raving" and "fed" wouldn't go astray. I hate you grammar police, nothing better to do.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Coppernicussing, on 19 May 2014 - 10:30, said:

Punctuation can be a very powerful tool. Without punctuation, a legitimate question becomes the raving of a poorly fed imbecile. At least learn the function of the period.
Period.

Perhaps a "comma" following "raving" and "fed" wouldn't go astray. I hate you grammar police, nothing better to do.

Commas, where you suggest, would make no sense at all.

• Like 1

By lowest quality, do you mean hygiene?

Anyway I think Thai food tastes much better in Australian resteraunts.

unbelivable post, ok name 5 that are better in kangaroo land

I'm inclined to agree that Thai food is better in Oz, better ingredients, cooked in sanitary conditions, by Thai chefs. Of course you are paying at least 10 times more for it.

you don't have the same taste like here in Thailand, because you had to use the same ingredients, which, if they are, cannot be fresh. Ever tried Homog with fresh Seafood in Sothern Thailand? Or Plah Nung Manao or Hoi ob Lom? or do we speak here only about fried rice pork?

Just got back from a holiday in Oz...The missus [quite understandably] thought Thai food better in Thailand..Her reasoning was the taste of the sauces. It's a bit like the Western Chinese food as opposed to restaurant food IN China..Different province, different food...Menu's are limited in Oz..I have never been able to find Hoi Tort, Keow kar moo and other street foods. Even the ubiquitous Plah Nin which I eat regularly is not available in restaurants in Brissie, though bastardized versions [with better fish] are.

Just my opinion..My favourite food is Turkish, but no chance of that In Udon!

B*gger It...I just like food...Can eat in anywhere.thumbsup.gif