Are the fish farmed or wild caught?

Hal65

I just bought some salmon from street food vendor for 30 baht. Salmon's pretty expensive in the US, but also tends to be wild caught from the ocean, which is a lot healthier than farmed salmon that tends to swim around in chemical filled water.

Does anyone know if Thailand mostly farms their fish, or catches it wild from the oceans?

Salmon wild caught ???

You are dreaming your life !!!

Salmon is the most poisonous fish in the world and the next world drama.

Norway is trying to hide the truth but NGO will soon make it clear that samlon industry is killing us. Just wait and you will know...

Edited by thaicookingchef

Salmon wild caught ???

Norway is trying to hide the truth but NGO will soon make it clear that samlon industry is killing us. Just wait and you will know...

Toxic salmon, tell us what you know?

agree, too hot to grow salmon in Thailand unless they are now chilling water for growing them but then you wouldn't be paying 30 bht/kg for them. could be some other fish that they are just calling salmon.

most if not all thai freshwater fish sold in the wet markets is farmed. most salt water fish is wild caught but not all. some bigger high value saltwater or brackish-water fish is farmed.

so salmon are trying to oust NGOs as the most toxic things on the planet? nah no chance,

Edited by The byaMemo

Vancouver, BC Canada for wild caught salmon. The runs are strictly governed by hours and days for fishing them. Plenty of fish farms off the coast as well with lots of environmental protesters to go with it as well regarding the farmed salmon hurting the wild stock. Seem lice is the problem in the farm salmon.

Vancouver, BC Canada for wild caught salmon. The runs are strictly governed by hours and days for fishing them. Plenty of fish farms off the coast as well with lots of environmental protesters to go with it as well regarding the farmed salmon hurting the wild stock. Seem lice is the problem in the farm salmon.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Man, how long do you stay here ???

From the ocean ? You are so funny guy.

Listen to me, I explain you how does it work the "fish farm" in TH (and around ASEAN). I don't talk about salmon, your question is dumb.

So there are to stories in this type farm:

- upper level: they keep the pig, you have to imagine like a stage above the water,

- lower level (water) they keep the fish.

They don't care about feeding of fishes, cause the fodder which is given to pigs can fall down between the planks just like the pig's defecation ....

Understood?

If you don't believe you may ask any Thai mate, of course not a 76.963% Chinese, high educated girl from a middle or higher class ....

Edited by Loles

There are no salmon in Thailand. A wild salmon dinner in Seattle cost me almost $30 a few years ago.

You want wild fish? You are going to pay. Any cheap fish nowadays you can almost guarantee its farmed.

Great story on 60 Minutes a few weeks back about the Farmed Salmon industry in British Columbia and how

its affecting the wild salmon.

• Like 1

Salmon wild caught ???

Mate, I'm reading this with my smoked salmon and salad sandwich in front of me. Is this for real? What about my sardines?sad.png

Being a Canadian, the supply of salmon I belief is farmed that is for sale here... the reason local dealers in Canada will buy the wild salmon at a very high price and sell high price to THOSE whom insist on wild salmon. As for the Farmed fish it is cheap as a OVER supply exists in Canada, I recently bought at "Best Supermarket" in Pattaya custom sliced still frozen salmon a nice thick slice, not the bread thin sizes frozen in cooler. The reason you got fish cheap is that is farmed...good eating and yes fish is cheaper here than back home...

Salmon wild caught ???

Your post borders on complete insanity.

Salmon is one of the few sustainable fisheries in the world when managed properly AND salmon diets are low in the heavy metals found in many other top-of-the-foodchain species.

Farmed salmon are less healthy but still an excellent foodsource. The better sushi places will serve farmed salmon from Norway. Your smoked salmon varieties are often Scottish farmed. I don't think you will find Wild caught Alaskan Salmon anywhere in thailand.

Most of the salmon meat will be dyed and the more unnatural the color the cheaper the meat.

Being a Canadian, the supply of salmon I belief is farmed that is for sale here... the reason local dealers in Canada will buy the wild salmon at a very high price and sell high price to THOSE whom insist on wild salmon. As for the Farmed fish it is cheap as a OVER supply exists in Canada, I recently bought at "Best Supermarket" in Pattaya custom sliced still frozen salmon a nice thick slice, not the bread thin sizes frozen in cooler. The reason you got fish cheap is that is farmed...good eating and yes fish is cheaper here than back home...

The reason fish is cheaper in thailand than the US or Canada is because the vast majority of fish sold here is caught illegally. The fish sold in North America to consumers is regulated to support sustainable fisheries worldwide. If the fish doesn't have a verifiable paper trail then it cannot be imported. This results in higher prices.

The problem is illegal fishing boats in asia sell their illegal harvest to those legal "permitted" boats. The legal boats then sell it to the processors with their "pedigree" so everything appears to be fine...but the back story is the fish is illegally caught.

Not too worry because all fish species will be gone within 20'ish years. Thailand has one of the worst records for over-fishing limited biomass. Enjoy.

On the topic of salmon, my son just sent me one of the first Copper River Reds now that the runs have just started in Alaska! Shipped it by air!

Edited by ClutchClark

I've heard about these noofies but never actually had the pleasure of reading one.

The reason fish is cheaper in thailand than the US or Canada is because the vast majority of fish sold here is caught illegally. The fish sold in North America to consumers is regulated to support sustainable fisheries worldwide. If the fish doesn't have a verifiable paper trail then it cannot be imported. This results in higher prices.

The problem is illegal fishing boats in asia sell their illegal harvest to those legal "permitted" boats. The legal boats then sell it to the processors with their "pedigree" so everything appears to be fine...but the back story is the fish is illegally caught.

Not too worry because all fish species will be gone within 20'ish years. Thailand has one of the worst records for over-fishing limited biomass. Enjoy.

On the topic of salmon, my son just sent me one of the first Copper River Reds now that the runs have just started in Alaska! Shipped it by air!

The vast majority of NGO propaganda sold in North America to consumers is illegal

How is a salmon sold here caught illegally? It's farmed Norwegian or Japanese import atlantic farmed salmon.

I'm from Vancouver as well. There is wild caught salmon in BC, Alaska, and I think Washington state. Back home it's marked in the stores as "wild" and it's pricey.

Wild salmon is sockeye ,coho ,spring ,pink, Chinook ,and a couple I forgot. All farmed salmon is Atlantic salmon and sold in American/Canadian shops as "farmed."

Lots of debate about salmon farming.

I'm pretty sure all salmon sold in Thailand is farmed Atlantic salmon. Some smoked salmon "lox" comes from Japan, not sure what type.

In Vancouver I always paid extra for wild sockeye. You can bbq it or grill it without any seasonings, it is so good.

I will eat the farmed, Atlantic salmon from Norway which can be found fresh in Makro, BigC, and Tops but I usually marinate in teriyaki sauce or a Miron/soy sauce mix.

There is no 30 baht salmon anywhere in the world, maybe a fin or an eyeball.

• 2 months later...

Interesting article about salmon at http://qz.com/234197/america-catches-some-of-the-worlds-best-salmon-but-eats-some-of-the-worst/

The key points are

- Americans don't like fish with bones in it or heads on, so America freezes most of its salmon and exports it to China where it's defrosted and processed.
- 80% of all American salmon is exported
- Much of the processed fish doesn't go back to the USA, but is sold in Asia (cheaper transport costs/higher profits)
- Two thirds of the salmon Americans actually eat is imported for other countries (Chile, Canada, Norway and China)

The article doesn't mention Thailand specifically, but it's certainly possible (if not probable) that the salmon in supermarkets here is wild caught.

whistling.gif Almost all Salmon sold commercially is pen raised.

Even in the Orkneys and Scotland they have pens in the ocean fiords to raise Salmon.

I've seen them ..... and also in Denmark and Norway.

I don't believe they raise Salmon in Thailand because it is a cold water fish.

Water is to warm here.

Also pen raised Salmon tend to catch diseases ..... often even in cold water they need to be fed antibiotics to keep them from getting sick.

That many Salmon confined in a small area ... the pens.... are likely to get disease that spread easily to the other confined fish.

I once lived in the Faroe Islands. They are the only place I know where you can still get a fishing license to fish for wild Atlantic Salmon who return to the tidal rivers there to Spawn.

Not cheap however, the license alone cost a couple of hundred pounds then (and probably more now).

NOT like Scotland where you must pay to book a stand on the river to fish for Salmon ... the fishing in Faroyar is free for all license holders.

But that's another topic.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

Not totally relevant but got some beautiful raw salmon at an import supermarket in Shanghai, long cuts (maybe 3 foot long) from which they sliced the sushi which was about 1 dollar for a little 1 cm X 6 cm X 2 cm piece, very good though. Label said "wild Norwegian salmon", don't know if it is true but tasty stuff, raw dipped in soy sauce with a dab of wasabi.