Oldie discrimination?

Hi all

I am new here but not to Expat teaching.I am now in China and all "China'd out" after three years teaching at Unil I am from the UK ,have a teaching cert and an MA and I want to move to teach in Thailand,preferably University and preferably not BKK.

Money is not the thing as I have a pension,but I am "only" 57.What are my chances? I also don't mind middle or high school but I am NOT gonna teach kindy whatever happens.Can anyone give me some good pointers? I wanted Chiang Mai but lots of people have warned me that there are too many expats there.

So another uni,maybe Chiang Rai,maybe Khon Kaen.... something like that.

Also my hubby would come with,not as a teacher is that an option?

Cheers.wai2.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There arent many educational institutions in thailand that will higher the upper aged job seekers. They want younger more active teachers. It is however more possible to get a job if u r not in bkk. Demand for teachers in the rural areas is higher as pay and convenience of goods and activities is lower. And i must semi agree with the previous comment. Posting on a public forum looking for a teqching position in very poor and difficult form of english is not best way to get referals, recommendations, or any other response in ur favor here. Maybe a thought or two about writing ur post in a better fashion in terms of grammar and punctuation next time may leave a better taste in others readers' mouths when it comes to hoping for teaching opportunities.

• Like 1

I disagree with the younger only crowd. Out of all the countries I have taught in, I have found Thailand the most open to older teachers. Because you are qualified and experienced, you will get jobs. It is true that more jobs are open for the younger crowd but typically are not the best jobs.

You do have a good chance for University positions. Most countries have a mandatory retirement age but even that is overlooked for really good teachers.

Good luck.

As you can read there are already many expats living here ( not all kind persons)

Try to look for a job in Lampang or Nan , they are in need of teachers all the time.

If your hubby is retired and have a separate bank-account with 800.000 THB on it he can get a retirement visa and go play golf.

Good luck.

As you can read there are already many expats living here ( not all kind persons)

Try to look for a job in Lampang or Nan , they are in need of teachers all the time.

If your hubby is retired and have a separate bank-account with 800.000 THB on it he can get a retirement visa and go play golf.

Good luck.

Well, if she gets a job and a work permit, her husband can piggy-back the work permit and play golf. Since they have a pension and are over 50, B800k in the bank is also not a necessity for a retirement extension, as long as you have B65k/mo income, or an equivalent combination of income and money in the bank

Edited by smotherb

There arent many educational institutions in thailand that will higher the upper aged job seekers. They want younger more active teachers. It is however more possible to get a job if u r not in bkk. Demand for teachers in the rural areas is higher as pay and convenience of goods and activities is lower. And i must semi agree with the previous comment. Posting on a public forum looking for a teqching position in very poor and difficult form of english is not best way to get referals, recommendations, or any other response in ur favor here. Maybe a thought or two about writing ur post in a better fashion in terms of grammar and punctuation next time may leave a better taste in others readers' mouths when it comes to hoping for teaching opportunities.

This must be a troll post. Look at your grammar and punctuation. I hope you don't teach anywhere in Thailand. OP is looking for advice. Back on topic. There are many opportunities for people in your age bracket, especially in the rural areas. Good Luck!

There are many jobs available. A friend of mine was offered a job at Khon Kaen university last year at 70K and he's mid-50's. He turned it down because the conditions and schedule they wanted were too onerous.

I totally agree with mizzt and if you get to rural areas outside the big cities it just gets easier because I think many of the younger teachers don't want to stay there for a long time. Where I live in Sakon Nakhon province it is easy if you the connections. If you go somewhere rural try to find out who the English teachers are and try and get them to arrange a meeting at the local education office. Alternatively find out where the office is and just go in. I think with the OP's experience no problem.

Good luck to OP

Edited by diggledunc

Doesn't like expats, but not below asking for their help

I think you have misunderstood the OP; she was referring to job opportunities in Chiang Mai, not the fact she does not like expats. She is correct though, wages are a little lower and jobs are competitively sort after in Chiang Mai, but IMHO that's no reason not to go there, especially if you have experience like she does. Anecdotal evidence on the forum from people working in the hiring game suggests that positions have been a bit harder to fill this year.

Billywjr said:

"There arent many educational institutions in thailand that will higher the upper aged job seekers."

"Maybe a thought or two about writing ur post in a better fashion in terms of grammar and punctuation next time may leave a better taste in others readers' mouths ..."

Ah great entertainment value Billy! Khun ben Kwai lae Baag maah!!

"I wanted Chiang Mai but lots of people have warned me that there are too many expats there."

Could this statement be referring to less available jobs than having a hatred towards expats?

Just thinking...

Do you know the difference between 'higher' and 'hire'? And "demand for teachers in the rural areas is higher as pay and convenience of goods and activities is lower" make any sense in english?

Nice!!! Lol

• Like 1

It is amazing. A "teacher" doesn't know how to punctuate, others who reply can't do it in proper english as well. Maybe if I tell you that english is not my mother language, one might forgive my mistakes. But I agree that you have to be more strict with yourself on your writing, if you teach english. In Holland we have this saying: in the land of the blind, the one eyed is king.

Anyway, please don't start teaching a language if you are not 100% good at it. You teach youngsters wrong. This is why I'm glad that Thailand is stricter then before on this matter.

• Like 1

I find your post pretty much discriminating and intimidating. Your post is full of serious errors, but you criticize the OP's one????

A good excuse for you might be that you were high, but please don't come with Bill Clinton's excuse that you didn't inhale the smoke.........facepalm.gif

Dear Op,

There seem to be too many competitors in Chiang Mai and many schools, unis, etc..pay less money, as they'll find a new teacher immediately.

Khon Kaen is a university city and it seems to pretty nice to live there. Check all available websites like www.ajarn.com, etc....

P.S. You 're never too old!!!

Best of luck from lower northeast. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Perhaps you should check your own spelling, grammar and `text speak', before berating others on their postings?

• Like 2

I don't think you'll have too many problems finding a decent university job. Age and experience are generally well-respected here. Some government institutions may not take on teachers who are already 60 but that doesn't go across the board.

I think you have misunderstood the OP; she was referring to job opportunities in Chiang Mai, not the fact she does not like expats. She is correct though, wages are a little lower and jobs are competitively sort after in Chiang Mai, but IMHO that's no reason not to go there, especially if you have experience like she does. Anecdotal evidence on the forum from people working in the hiring game suggests that positions have been a bit harder to fill this year.

Billywjr said:

"There arent many educational institutions in thailand that will higher the upper aged job seekers."

"Maybe a thought or two about writing ur post in a better fashion in terms of grammar and punctuation next time may leave a better taste in others readers' mouths ..."

"sort" after. what an unfunny joke you lot are.

to the OP: Come on by, the country needs educators that know their asses from holes in the ground.

'There arent many educational institutions in thailand that will higher [sic] the upper aged job seekers.'

'Posting on a public forum looking for a teqching [sic] position in very poor and difficult form of english [sic] is not best way to get referal [sic] ..."

The mind boggles.

Good luck getting "highered."

• Like 1

What a farce this thread has become! smile.png

OP: Very qualified, lots of experience, welcome to Thailand. Why wouldnt someone pick you up? If i ran a school, having someone with your experience and talents would be a major asset. Not every student wants the genki clown dipshit teacher (thats me by the way), and not every student works well with the hard nosed disciplinarian or fusty old dear (not saying thats you by the way - just a general stereotype) so you need a bit of a tool box to get the right teachers with the right students. Bums on seats and all that. Good luck, but genuinely, id swap places with you right now if i could. You can have my young(ish) happy cheerful personality and cute little face, and ill have that teaching qualification smile.png

Edited by inutil
  • Like 2

It is amazing. A "teacher" doesn't know how to punctuate, others who reply can't do it in proper english as well. Maybe if I tell you that english is not my mother language, one might forgive my mistakes. But I agree that you have to be more strict with yourself on your writing, if you teach english. In Holland we have this saying: in the land of the blind, the one eyed is king.

Anyway, please don't start teaching a language if you are not 100% good at it. You teach youngsters wrong. This is why I'm glad that Thailand is stricter then before on this matter.

One could forgive your mistakes if you weren't so condescending. At the very least add something constructive to the thread. Please let me know if you would like me to clean up your post.

Edited by mizzi39
  • Like 1

Well I am amazed at the amount of vitriol and bile my maiden post has provoked! Do please point out my errors! What a predominantly unpleasant forum this is proving to be. Thanks however go out to inutil, mizzi39 who bothered to give useful replies and who can also.practise reading comprehension. I said I WANT to go to CM but feared job competition due to the large number of expats aleady there.Of course I like expats- I am one! Really! There appear to be some awfully weird people on here who can hardly write single word correctly.Thank you to those members who are civil and helpful.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

For some reason i see that a lot in Thailand. Not just on these forums, but on other message boards or in the comment sections of news articles on Thai affairs. It seems that humiliating people on their use of English is a means of projecting/protecting status. Not saying thats whats happened here, but it seems to happen almost exclusively in Thailand. Which is oddly a good thing since it means so long as people want to use English to 'out' the 'true authentic class' of these commoner interlopers in English Education, there will always be a job out there to separate the self-declared wheat from their chaff counterparts. Yay!!??!

Or, i dunno, we could all just get along and actually encourage one another in our efforts in learning a second language and realise that (outside of a bell curve marking scheme like ielts), its not a competition. Perhaps we should consider that as teachers, destroying someones confidence in their language abilities is inimical to what we should be trying to do.

As for TEACHERS getting shit wrong on a message board... you know... its a message board. Its not their doctoral thesis. I only spell check when there's a red squiggly line under a word. And only then because i seem to unconsciously detest the sight of it. Really its a lot of nonsense.

Edited by inutil
  • Like 1

Thanks Inutil at least there are s few sane and kind people on here . It's jusy that I have come from.a really supportive and pleasant China Teachers' Forum where newbie ( or anybody) bashing us not tolerated so I'm feeling a bit shocked.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Billywjr said:

"sort" after. what an unfunny joke you lot are.

to the OP: Come on by, the country needs educators that know their asses from holes in the ground.

Oh sorry, how could I? Lucky we have you around HooHaa.

the proper term is "not above" asking for their help.

think about it.

i am amazed by the dross teachers of "english" are capable of writing

What I always remember about trying to teach adults in my home country is that invariably there would be at least one in the class that would come up with some obscure point to show how little they already know. Oh excuse me........., that should be how much they know.

'There arent many educational institutions in thailand that will higher [sic] the upper aged job seekers.'

'Posting on a public forum looking for a teqching [sic] position in very poor and difficult form of english [sic] is not best way to get referal [sic] ..."

The mind boggles.

Good luck getting "highered."

Have another and get higher boggled