Most scenic route BKK-Khao Lak

pj123

I am meeting family for a week down in Khao Lak in August and I am in two minds whether to drive or fly and rent a car at Phuket Airport.

If I drove I would probably overnight at Chumphon. I have driven to Songkhla before and found it a tiresome and dull road to drive.

What is Route 4 from Chumphon like? Any more scenic than Route 41?

Highway is scenic, mountainous, one land each way with lots of curves and slow traffic when stuck behind a truck for a few km because of all the curves, especially the part from Chumpon to Ranong. Also beware that Thais will try to past on curves without knowing you are coming from the opposite direction Route 41 imore a 4 lane highway better road in my opinion.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 1

I think the key is to actually get off the highway, once in a while and detour a little...... Many places marked.... I crossed via the 4006, I thought that was quite a nice drive. thumbsup.gif

Watch for these signs.... some places are worth making a stop off! wink.png

IMG_3733.JPG

• Like 1

We did the drive using 401 on the way there and 4006 on the way back. Extremely scenic, but quite slow. From Khao Lak up to 4006 is a very curvy road. Lots of buses and big trucks to deal with. We spent the night near Bang Saphan on the way back and it was almost an all day drive, leaving around 9am and taking our time.