Soldiers deployed in Thai capital Bangkok under martial law

webfact

Soldiers deployed in Thai capital under martial law

BANGKOK, May 20, 2014 (AFP) - Armed troops were deployed on the streets of central Bangkok on Tuesday after the military declared martial law to restore order after months of political turmoil.

Gun-wielding soldiers, backed by a military vehicle mounted with a machine gun, were seen in the heart of the city's retail and hotel district. Troops were also seen at key television stations and other locations.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-20

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Army chief orders TVs, radio stations to broadcast orders of Peacekeeping Command

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha invoked the marital law to issue the third order, demanding all TV and radio stations to be on standby to broadcast statements from the Peacekeeping Command when asked to.

The third order was issued at 8:21 am.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-20

Since YL has abused FB by running the Gov you can be sure internet will be shut down. Its the primary source for talking to the big boss Thak so this should be made to stop

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought a VPN, cheap but a good one according to the info and reviews, STRONGVPN which routes my IP to another country, typically the United States.

But I think I still need an available and open browser to use it.

Hope I don't need to find out.

First month's free anyway with the option to cancel.

I bought a VPN, cheap but a good one according to the info and reviews, STRONGVPN which routes my IP to another country, typically the United States.

First thing they do is look for people using VPN. Anybody trying to hide their internet identity are clearly up to no good ....

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Since YL has abused FB by running the Gov you can be sure internet will be shut down. Its the primary source for talking to the big boss Thak so this should be made to stop

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The military ruling council can block access to social websites without having to shut down the whole of the internet and all of its services. That's what the Boyz in Beijing do. People in the PRC can't access FB, Twitter, U-Tube and a whole lot else but can access Hotmail, MSN, Yahoo, GMail and the like.

Gen Prayuth can use a scalpel or a hammer, it's up to him.

BANGKOK: -- The Peace Keeping Directorate issued the fourth announcement allowing both anti government protesters and supporters to continue their demonstrations in their respective places and prohibited them to take to the streets.

It said the PDRC protesters could continue rally at Ratchadamnern road, while the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship could demonstrate on Aksa road, and the protesters led by Luang Poo Buddha Isra on Chaengwattana road.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/42041/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-20

• Like 1

First thing they do is look for people using VPN. Anybody trying to hide their internet identity are clearly up to no good ....

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's an indiscriminate and presumptuous condemnation that is imprudent and wrong.

When I was in the CCP-PRC my uni computer major students put in my pc desktop the Google Unblock and Uncensor system "Ultrareach" that the 35,000 CCP censors working full time can't even identify, much take action against. It goes right through the Great Firewall of China while being undetectable. Same for VPN. The technologies are beyond them. I doubt Thai technology is any better than the miserable state of the CCP's technologies.

• Like 1

better late then never, at least now we might see an end to the killings seeing the police will not be able to let the reds just do it indiscriminately as they have been.

• Like 1

Well the police haven't or won't get a handle on the safety of their citizens, then I guess it is time for the military to take over their security..

Cheap shot, glib.

you must have something against the truth, the police have done nothing about the protester deaths so far but are super quick when it comes to red shirt problems, he has stated facts, the cheap shot is from you

Ah truth. Instead of opinions you the pope of Thailand have the truth.

The truth is there are a lot of fascists running around the streets of Bangkok, in my truthful opinion.

As I say, however, in my opinion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well the police haven't or won't get a handle on the safety of their citizens, then I guess it is time for the military to take over their security..

Cheap shot, glib.

you must have something against the truth, the police have done nothing about the protester deaths so far but are super quick when it comes to red shirt problems, he has stated facts, the cheap shot is from you

Ah truth. Instead of opinions you the pope of Thailand have the truth.

The truth is there are a lot of fascists running around the streets of Bangkok, in my truthful opinion.

As I say, however, in my opinion.

I don't know about a lot of fascists running around, but there is one very large fascist who has been running loose around Bangkok since November and his name is suthep wink.png I hate to see the military on the streets of any major capitol city especially Bangkok, hopefully they will just act as peacekeepers and then recede after a couple of weeks, however I think we all know that this will not be the case sad.png The situation in Bangkok will likely reach a critical mass fairly soon and then we will see just what moves the military makes wai2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I suspect the martial law has been imposed in reaction to Suthep upping the stakes. I guess hunting down government ministers is considered a step too far. I expect the General to come out in the next week and say that elections will take place under martial law which will prevent them being disrupted by the PDRC. Affectively, martial law is doing the job the police were prevented from doing by the General.

That's spot on the money. no excuse now not to have an election. with the army in charge of security, we will see if they are on the side of democracy or of the Ruling Elite. i hope the former, but suspect the latter.

• Like 2