Thai military invites political rivals for talks: army

webfact

Thai military invites political rivals for talks: army

BANGKOK, May 20, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's army chief invited both sides of the kingdom's bitter political divide to talks Tuesday, hours after imposing martial law following nearly seven months of anti-government protests.

"We are in the process of inviting both sides to talk but at the minute the situation is still not normal... that's why I have had to invoke martial law," General Prayut Chan-O-Cha told reporters.

The army chief urged pro- and anti-government protesters not to clash, amid fears of widespread violence as the political crisis intensifies, and added martial law would be revoked after peace and order had been restored to the country.

Earlier the military said their action was not a coup.

Thailand remains bitterly divided between the largely rural supporters of self-exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra and the Bangkok-based establishment -- and their southern royalist allies -- who loathe him and want to end his dominance of Thai politics.

Months of anti-government protests have seen 28 people killed and hundreds more wounded in political violence.

Three people died in a gun and grenade attack on a rally site in Bangkok's historic centre by unknown assailants on May 15.

"The military will not tolerate any more loss of lives," said Prayut.

When asked if he intends to stage a military coup -- in a nation which has seen nearly 20 successful or attempted coups -- the general responded "don't jump to conclusions."

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-20

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now, there's an 'invitation' one can't refuse! alt=whistling.gif>

I received mine in the post this morning , however I have a prior appointment in H.K.cheesy.gif

walking down the streets of Bangkok this morning, I felt like I was in HK ........... Men in uniform every where

Most of all the people had smiles on their faces again, and I felt safe

My morning greetings where all received with a reply from the Thai soldiers with also a smile

One can see nothing coming out of this meeting , the hate is deeply entrenched , where individuals wont even talk to each other , just testing the waters to see what they are up against, nothing ventured ,nothing gained I guess.coffee1.gif

It sounds to me like, if at the meeting both sides cannot agree or come to some kind of compromise, then the general will appoint himself the interim PM. Sort of like a "PG" rated coup. Not rolling out the tanks and give both sides time to consider if that's what they want....

i believe we are going to have an interim military PM very soon!

• Like 1

I think (hope) the General is being the Voice of Reason. This power struggle is destroying people's lives.

Uncle Prayuth is calmly telling them "Play nice."

I love the TVF posters that are one-sided. Lovers of the reds and yellows NEVER mention what the other side has done to benefit Thais. Never. Whizbang pretends all Thais had health care before Thaksin, and many others pretend that the rice-pledging scheme was brilliant.

Myopic agenda hugging mendicants!

• Like 1

Prayuth can't find Thailand's government. Where have they gone?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yep... He already commented on that.

Basically he is stating publicly that there is NO government in Thailand. They have absconded of their own accord.

Well at least those who know they have nicked a load of cash.

Can we see the real rice accounts now?.... Oh and I have been dying for someone to pick through the CAPO accounts and follow all the little paper trails that it leaves. Aksa funding by any chance?

Prayuth can't find Thailand's government. Where have they gone?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Very bright comment. Where did you find your brain ?

Edited by espinoza

Well we know who the caretaker government represents as they were originally voted in by the people so who does Suthep represent?

He represents the 2 or 3 people who do not like Thaksin. that's all, 2 of them are old women. They put a stop to the raping of the country.

good - come and meet - talk - hold elections - done deal

all the Army should be doing is set a date and PROTECT voters from the Yellow Thugs thereby ensuring elections are not void again

All the army should be it get to a peaceful situation. First talks with all, following decisions on how to get reforms to ensure that elections will help Thailand and not just some people.

Now of course, as it's not clear at this moment when the martial law can be lifted and since holding elections under martial law is 'undemocratic', we have to wait a bit. I'm sure Ms. Yingluck even outside the game now would agree with that "please wait"

Well we know who the caretaker government represents as they were originally voted in by the people so who does Suthep represent?

Were they? Check up and see how they got to be caretaker cabinet ministers in a caretaker government.

• Like 1

Were they? Check up and see how they got to be caretaker cabinet ministers in a caretaker government.

They were placed in inactive posts. for the odd blunder or twowhistling.gif

all the Army should be doing is set a date and PROTECT voters from the Yellow Thugs thereby ensuring elections are not void again

It's naive of some red-shirts to think that the army will side with them and make election happen. The fact is that martial law restricts a lot of civil liberties. The army has already censored a lot of TV channels. No election held under such conditions would be free and fair.

The only democratic position is to oppose military involvement in civilian affairs.

The acting caretaker PM wasn't voted in.. was he?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As well as protecting the women and children from the red scum who like to lob grenades on the innocent and then say what a great result it was.

walking down the streets of Bangkok this morning, I felt like I was in HK ........... Men in uniform every where

Most of all the people had smiles on their faces again, and I felt safe

My morning greetings where all received with a reply from the Thai soldiers with also a smile

Walking through the streets of Chiang Mai today I felt safe and felt like I was in Thailand and most people were smiling as normal and nobody cared about yet another coup and no soldiers on the streets.

How many sane farrangs walk the streets of CM all day on Tuesday, smiling at each other, all shouting hello we don't care about a coup. your Ting Tong sure.crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Misquoting what I posted and being rude yet again. Feel better now?

I did not quote you, I was actually joking at Tezz and your post, Imagining you both doing this for real. It was aimed at anyone who would do this.

If I did this in Udon today---walked around the streets smiling at everyone because there was no sign of a coup. Why post like that just because Tezz spoke about BKK ???

Lighten up, it's bad enough as it is.

Just to note Fab4 was not far to put his pennyworth in. to try to emphasize the rudeness of my post ??

Just a UK sense of humour, walking around the streets of a city smiling---something Mr. Bean would do.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1