Does my Thai partner need to change passport or ID if we marry?

giddyup

I've been with my Thai partner for 5 years now and thinking that marriage might simplify things as far as my estate goes. I have money invested in Australian banks and a couple of accounts in Thailand that should come to her automatically upon my death. I have her named in a will as well.

If we marry, what, if anything, does she need to change? Can she retain her passport and ID in her single name?

I am not sure of your situation, but I have been married 18 years. We got married in Singapore. My wife retained her Thai name and her Thai passport. Mostly to do with land ownership rules at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am not sure of your situation, but I have been married 18 years. We got married in Singapore. My wife retained her Thai name and her Thai passport. Mostly to do with land ownership rules at the time.

I'd prefer it, as would she, if she can leave both passport and ID as is, it can be a headache changing a Thai ID especially.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'd prefer it, as would she, if she can leave both passport and ID as is, it can be a headache changing a Thai ID especially.

My wife did change her name on her ID and passport, and it was not a difficult process. Maybe 30mins at the amphur for the ID card, and one trip to the passport office for the passport. These things are trivial. Much more annoying (but again, not difficult) is remembering to bring the marriage certificate whenever dealing with any banking or contracts that may have been started in her family name. We've never had any problem changing anything, usually resolved in 5-10mins, but we often forget which things were done before we were married, and forget to bring the documents.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of changing the name? As I mentioned, previously due to archaic land ownership laws, it was of greater benefit to us for her to maintain her maiden name. I still see no advantage to changing her name.

Thais are changing their name every so often... due to marriage, divorce, bad karma attached with old name... or just because they like a new name more... easy to do within an hour and the receive official papers showing the name change...