thais who want to show off falang friend

coconutbar

Was hangin out near the red shirt area near khoasan rd having a drink near the 7/11 tryin to speak thai the the local drunks when a well dresses thai man brings me 2 big leos and sits down .

turns out he is a police officer in buri ram area and in bkk for the weekend and just wants to hang out so we have a few drinks then he tells me he wants to go to meet ladys in china town and says he want to take me with him .

he shouts me drinks all day and the company of a lady after that we exchange number and he goes home.

anyone else been in the position where a thai justs wants to show off that he has a falang friend????

• Like 1

The first time I visited Laos in 1991, we met a Lao "Prince" who did the same thing. Very few Westerners were around then as a visa cost $100 for a very short time and you could not leave Vientiane and travel around the rest of the country. He drove us around in a Mercedes Benz, when almost everyone else was riding bicycles and he could ignore the curfew and the police just ignored him. I'm still not sure exactly who he was, but some of my buddies seemed to know at the time.

• Like 2

Yes, some Thais

Yes many thai ladies like to show off their ferang men ( as long as they look ok ) but never had a thai man show much interest.

Or was he just using you to attract the ladies, knowing the ladies would head straight for the ferang and generally avoid the Thai guys ?

Just a thought

most thai ladies like to show off their farang men ( if they look ok ) but never had a thai man show much interest

Yeah, my MIL likes all the village to see she has a farang SIO. There's only a few other farang in the surrounding areas. BIL will encourage me to go wherever with him. At first I thought he was just being hospitable, but since then I get the feeling he just wants to be seen.

Wifey parades me around her school where she teaches.

I guess I'm just too handsome for words?

you must be a good provider.

• Like 1

Yeah, my MIL likes all the village to see she has a farang SIO. There's only a few other farang in the surrounding areas. BIL will encourage me to go wherever with him. At first I thought he was just being hospitable, but since then I get the feeling he just wants to be seen.

you must be a good provider.

Nope, we're not well off. MIL gets 3000 pm in cash and groceries.

Can anyone tell me where to purchase the code book to translate some posts.........like.... "MIL" followed by...."SIO" followed by..."BIL".......what is wrong with continuing in plain English seeing as you started that way?

sure, here you go http://www.amazon.com/NetLingo-List-Largest-Text-Acronyms/dp/0970639635/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400658563&sr=1-1&keywords=internet+Acronyms

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me where to purchase the code book to translate some posts.........like.... "MIL" followed by...."SIO" followed by..."BIL".......what is wrong with continuing in plain English seeing as you started that way?

sure, here you go http://www.amazon.com/NetLingo-List-Largest-Text-Acronyms/dp/0970639635/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400658563&sr=1-1&keywords=internet+Acronyms

And just so you don't go scratching you head too much SOI was a typo, should have read SIL, and that too is possibly wrong as son in law as it may mean sister in law.

As a kid, I used to do something similar with my autistic aunt. I'd take her to meet my friends 'cause she was a barrel of laughs. We'd teach her to scream swear words at passers by, and she'd oblige with verve.

My advice: if your new Thai friend teaches you Thai phrases, check before using them in public.

T

• Like 2

Cmon get with the program.

Sil, fil, bil, mil are all the inlaws or as I prefer, the outlaws.

Basic tv abbreviations 101.

any 7/11 should have them. 555 .... Mother In Law etc

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Edited by driftpig

have had the same in Thailand (plenty of times) and several times in Myanmar. More a "status" thing, the host/stranger showing that he can pay for you and take care of you (ie. having a good time). I'm a big fan of it in fact. Exchanging tel nrs doesn't do much afterwards which is even better ;-)

I'm a girl but I've had people seem to want me to go hang out with them but not really be interested in talking to me at all hahhaa and they always want to take pictures with me for some reason.

Many times I've had strangers come up to me and ask to take a picture with me like I'm some kind of celebrity or something hahahaha

The funniest one was a girl using the excuse that she had to take a picture with a foreigner for her school assignment.

• Like 1

Or was he just using you to attract the ladies, knowing the ladies would head straight for the ferang and generally avoid the Thai guys ?

Just a thought

I used to go out to restaurants with a good looking well-to-do Thai guy from Bangkok now living in Isaan. He used to take me out to dinner so it would look like he was showing his hapless farang friend a good time rather than trying to score with some young Isaan girl which was more the intent.

Not sure about Thai men, but most of the time it looks like Thai women are trying to pretend they aren't with their farang partner - walking 3 paces in front or behind, doing everything possible not to talk on the train, pulling away as he tries to romantically slip her a kiss with his beer-laden lips cheesy.gif

Thai's don't show their affection in public, at some point they might start to loosen up with a farrang, but when it comes to Thai couples, I still haven't seen anyone hug, hold hands or kiss each other.

Basic tv abbreviations 101.

Whilst I can guess, although probably incorrectly, you recently posted acronyms, I totally fail to see how Roiet (101) fits in.

Why not use the Queens English so that we can all understand the points that you try to communicate.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

• Like 1

I get it quite a bit, up here in the VERY rural north. Am 1 of 5 foreigners within 30km, and the only female. The teachers at school LOVE to take me out with them so that they can introduce their foreign friend to everybody. For the first few months it was cool to meet so many new people, but now over 2 years later it is just almost an inconvenience, especially when they want to go to Lampang or Nan....having to drive a few hours to get there.