Shipito

Lumbini

I just got and account at Shipito because iHerb said they were having trouble with large orders to Thailand . This company
http://www.shipito.com/
let's you order from iHerb or any other company and have product shipped to their service that then let's you choose shipping method to forward to you in a Thailand with many options to condense package and many other things to help with customs and shipping costs . I ordered about 20 bottles of vitamins and herbs ( with other things like creme for face and shampoos ) and the separate orders were about 15pounds if I have them combined and close to 500 dollars in items . This will last me one year and includes even containers to mix the Protien powders and devices to grind the flaxseed . All vitamins are sold here including the D3 so nothing being sent that's not allowed just hard to find anyone to ship all I needed to Thailand so all orders are sent to shipito then they repackage and send to me here. The question is should I have them send separate boxes to my condo so it's not one big 15 pound box or a few small boxes ? Also how acurate should I be on customs forms when it comes to value and what do I call vitamins ( nutritional supplements ? ) . It would be nice to send one big box by a quick service and get in a few days because more boxes the more the cost but this may cause delays from customs and big tax charges . Looking for best way so there is no delay and little if any duty by choosing right size box and shipping service . This shipito has been a great service in getting the many packages from where I order sent and stored and now I must instruct them on how to forward the things to me here with their many options and mailing modes . I would appreciate any suggestions and will [attachment=267700:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400657083.145018.jpg]report back so others can evaluate the service . I could no longer keep buying things at Boots and stalls at MBK and other places . The prices too high and dosages too low it was big challenge . Hope this works out but really would like to make the forwarding to me here in Bangkok as painless and cheap as possible . Thanks in advance and hope this service works as good as the reviews I read for years about it before I joined .

What we think we become ...
  • Like 2

If you want to minimize the customs charges choose the USPS options at Shipito.  The beauty of their system is that you fill out the customs form online, so you are free to declare what you want.  But like everything else in life, don't get greedy.  I have only shipped prescription medicines through them and have not needed to consolidate any items so I can't advise you on the most cost effective method for your unique situation

No one can advise you on what to consolidate.  I happen to like smaller packages since they appear to attract less attention, but you may end up paying more for that way so only you can decide

If you want these US products then accept the fact that shipping and possibly duties are going to be the price you pay

You're ordering way too much shit that you don't need. Most of those vitamins are useless. Face creme and shampoo--quite cheap in Thailand, so your excuse doesn't hold water. Thailand's got flaxseed, coffee grinders, and reasonably-protein powders (the last, online). Here you go, available everywhere for peanuts:

nivea-creme.jpg

You're ordering way too much shit that you don't need. Most of those vitamins are useless. Face creme and shampoo--quite cheap in Thailand, so your excuse doesn't hold water. Thailand's got flaxseed, coffee grinders, and reasonably-protein powders (the last, online). Here you go, available everywhere for peanuts:

nivea-creme.jpg

The OP asks specific questions on shipping via Shipito and  you go off on what he wants to buy and what you think he should or should not purchase from the US. 

A real Thai Visa Warrior post

And by the way,  products produced in the US are usually much better than the crap that is produced for the Thai (read, cheap) market

• Like 1

Thanks Langsusan , and I will have compassion for the troll

a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by attempting starting arguments or upsetting people, [attachment=267862:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400735836.206017.jpg]

What we think we become ...

nivea-creme.jpg

The OP asks specific questions on shipping via Shipito and  you go off on what he wants to buy and what you think he should or should not purchase from the US. 

A real Thai Visa Warrior post

And by the way,  products produced in the US are usually much better than the crap that is produced for the Thai (read, cheap) market

My solution is the best possible way to reduce shipping costs and stop wasting money overall.

Nivea creme is the same product as sold in the USA and has been around since grandma used it back in the '40s. :) Similarly, shampoos. Same brands here as there, except for money-wasting "alternative medicine" concoctions aimed at the gullible. I could see ordering, say, multivitamins and fish oil from the USA, as such are quite a ripoff throughout Asia.

Just trying to be helpful. :)

I have a lot of experience with Shipito,  and ordering different things to arrive here and get thru Thai customs.

Basically, if you're using either USPS or Shipito's own Airmail services, the Thai Customs policy is anything over 1,000 baht in value per package is potentially going to get considered for Customs duty and/or VAT. Anything under 1,000 or so baht in declared value normally will be exempted as a "small package."

I've shipped many many packages here, including some health related products, but I always try to keep the declared value under $30 or so. And I almost never get charged any duty or tax by Thai Customs. I also absolutely avoid sending anything by the more expensive FedEx or DHL methods, are those are almost guaranteed to attract duty, VAT and various handling charges.

Recently, however, I used Shipito and their Airmail service to send two higher priced/valued products:

--an external hard drive valued at about $90 drew a 7% duty payable at the Thai Post office.

and

--a refurb small kitchen appliance, that I bought through Amazon for $35, was valued by customs at $50 and then charged a 30% duty, resulting in a customs bill to me of about $18.40, also payable at Thai Post.

Especially now that Shipito has reduced their per package handling fee to $1 per package, it kind of makes sense to try to keep individual package mailings to smaller/lower value groupings. Otherwise, the combination of the shipping cost plus the potentially hefty customs fees can make ordering items pretty uneconomical.

• Like 1

Thanks this is so very helpful I wanted to have everything put in one big box and get it here fast with a 6 day service and just declare small value but that may get not only charged but overcharged with tax as they can give their own declared value . The weight of everything would be a about 2+ pounds. Better I break it up in many packages and just have it sent slow USPS . Thank you again I just pay monthly membership charge and know there is better shipping rate I think with that .

What we think we become ... Edited by Lumbini

I'm a bit confused here...

In your original post, you were talking about:

I ordered about 20 bottles of vitamins and herbs ( with other things like creme for face and shampoos ) and the separate orders were about 15pounds if I have them combined and close to 500 dollars in items .

And now in the above post you're talking about "everything" being 2+ pounds. A box of 2+ pounds isn't going to be any problem, unless you did a typo and meant 20 pounds. Sending 15 or 20 pounds of vitamin type stuff in a single box is DEFINITELY going to attract Customs' attention. And they've also been known to seize such things if they think they're products that are not approved/permitted in Thailand.

On the other hand, boxes of 2-4 pounds in weight are going to attract much less attention, especially if the value isn't above or too much above the $30/1000 baht "small package" mark.

If those things are for your personal use, I can't see any problem with dividing up the shipments and sending them gradually over time. Shipito's rates are based entirely on weight, not the size of the box, so you're not really adding much to your total shipping costs. Just extra $1 shipping fees per box and a bit more of their bank/insurance charges.

You can send via USPS Global and expect the box to arrive in one to two weeks. But you're going to pay about double the price compared to if you use Shipito Airmail, which they state as a month delivery time, but which usually seems to arrive here in 2+ weeks -- especially if Thai Customs doesn't get involved enroute.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So sorry I was typing on and iphone with ThaiVisa app ( great app ) but on it's small screen and meant to write 12 pounds but it may be closer to 15 in total if all was combined .... Ooooooops , must have missed hitting the 1 and instead typed 2+ instead of 12+ . I can go back and edit but sometimes the program does not let you edit after a certain time period . There was about 10 boxes sent to shipito and one was 10 pounds so sounds like I send many many boxes or send one with all combined and pay BIG customs if they even let a person get this many vitamins. , herbs and protien powders . Also a few things being sent to put on a bike here to make it safer and better for working out like really bright lights I could not find here and better pedals . If it was all condensed in one big box and sent fast way would be worth the hundred bucks shipping but sounds like customs could be expensive and problem so while disappointed my idea would not work you woke me to the way things really are and using many small boxes and having to go this route as you have experience with customs and shipitto thanks so much .

What we think we become ... Edited by Lumbini

• 1 month later...

I've shipped vitamins before, in small quantities of a couple bottles in a box, and never had any customs problems going thru Shipito and using their Economy Airmail.

Just declared them as "vitamins" and listed them as "gifts" -- not commercial samples -- on the Shipito declaration form.

But, for the record, I've never tried shipping pounds and pounds of them in one package.

I just has shipito forward my Iherb orders as Iherb would not deliver to Thailand I was told . The orders are about $70 to $90 in value on the customs forms as I had the large Iherb order split up . Very expensive to ship with USPS ( as was suggested to me to keep things simple ) even the slow way with the service that had tracking around $60+ on each box sent after all the charges and insurance . The reason I not buy here is many things not available like vitamin D3 in milligrams of 1000 or more and the brands available at Iherb are much higher quality than ones I see here at pharmacies like Boots or at stalls at MBK . Thanks for all the posts and advice here .

With Shipito, from a pricing perspective, you'd really want to use either their Airmail Economy or Airmail Priority services, which have better rates than USPS or any of the private couriers.

They, or their shipper, keeps monkeying around with the rules. But last time I checked, packages under 4 lbs could go the cheaper Airmail Economy route while those over 4 lbs would have to go the slightly more expensive Airmail Priority route. But there also are maximum box dimension limits that come into play in some cases.

The Airmail services are Shipito's own services, but they often appear to have BPI (Belgian Post International) as their international carrier for those deliveries. And in my experience, the handling and correct delivery track record has been very good.

I too need some vitamin supplements that seem to be hard to find here (digestive enzymes) so Shipito sounds interesting. I started to create a customer account but got somewhat put off by their strict account verification process as you need to provide them with various copies of personal ID e.g. passport, credit card information, wire transferring money to your Shipito account etc. I have a PayPal account which I thought would be sufficient to verify I am a legit customer. Anyway, this all seemed too confusing so I did not finish the account creating process still in hopes to find something "closer to home".

I did found the supplements I need in a Thai online shop called “Biovea” (http://www.biovea.com/th), have any of you ordered from there? Any info would be appreciated.

Sad.

I just looked at this site, Ship it to used to be a small family company in Portland providing excellent service.  This one by the website is not the same as the southern one and has put the same spending restriction and not many people liked that one.

I was wrong on this....the family one is reshipit com.

I suggest checking reviews of both very carefully.

Edited by harrry

This is getting a bit confusing, in terms of who's talking about what site/company... So let me be clear.

I regularly use Shipito.com, which is based in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, though they have branch locations in a few other areas including Nevada and Oregon. Over the past few years that I've been one of their customers, they've provided excellent and affordable package re-shipping services from the U.S. to Thailand, encompassing dozens of packages. And I've never yet had any of them go astray.

Their initial account set-up process is a bit involved, because you're authorizing them with the U.S. Postal Service to be an official recipient of your mail. But the effort and potential one-time cost, for example if you have to get some document notarized, is going to be far outweighed by what you'll save on sending packages compared to the rates of U.S.P.S., FedEx, DHL or any similar providers. Not to mention, you get to hands-on manage the entire process, including filling out your own customs info and picking from many available shipping methods, via their website interface.

They do accept online credit card and debit card payment to pay for package shipping, but I've found the easiest way of handling payments to them is via PayPal.

In terms of account setup, they have different options for someone to do the initial verification. But for me, the simplest method as an expat was simply mailing them a notarized Postal Form 1583 (that's the authorization form for USPS) and uploading via their website copies of two different photo IDs, such as your passport and driver's  license. That ought to do it.

The account verification details and options are listed below, in a screen cap from their website:

[attachment=276993:PS0008.jpg]

This company just sent me small box of vitamins I ordered from Iherb since they not ship to Thailand and from picture did great job with box and condensing . It was sent USPS no special way and only a pound and a half with few bottles of vitamins ( same ones and brand I use to buy at overpriced MBK stall ) and made it in a week but on the 26th when it got to Bangkok stopped . On tracking it says customs clearance ( ??? ) and then nothing with nothing in mail about duty . The stated value was only about 50 dollars and I had shipito write vitamin supplements for personal use being completely honest but now have no idea if I will get this ? Shipitto did their part but after looking at tracking info on web and not seeing anything but customs clearance I have no idea if I will get package that was almost $50 to send after repackaging charges and shipping , insurance et. ( still would have made vitamins cheaper and fresher than the MBK purchase . Wanted to try this as the markup at MBK is so much about 200% and Boots not even sell things in dosages that are effective. Just wanted to chime in about shipito and let others know how good they are . I know about all the verification forms they need but have nothing to hide and feel this just makes their company less suspicious for customs knowing they investigate who their customers are and are legit .

In terms of account setup, they have different options for someone to do the initial verification. But for me, the simplest method as an expat was simply mailing them a notarized Postal Form 1583 (that's the authorization form for USPS) and uploading via their website copies of two different photo IDs, such as your passport and driver's  license. That ought to do it.

Got an email newsletter from Shipito yesterday advising that they've now simplified the process for submitting the 1583 postal form, as follows:

Electronic signature of 1583 form
  • From now on, you do not have to print the form, sign it, scan it, and upload to your account. Now you can sign the 1583 online, with few clicks and in just few seconds

This company just sent me small box of vitamins I ordered from Iherb since they not ship to Thailand and from picture did great job with box and condensing . It was sent USPS no special way and only a pound and a half with few bottles of vitamins ( same ones and brand I use to buy at overpriced MBK stall ) and made it in a week but on the 26th when it got to Bangkok stopped . On tracking it says customs clearance ( ??? ) and then nothing with nothing in mail about duty . The stated value was only about 50 dollars and I had shipito write vitamin supplements for personal use being completely honest but now have no idea if I will get this ? Shipitto did their part but after looking at tracking info on web and not seeing anything but customs clearance I have no idea if I will get package that was almost $50 to send after repackaging charges and shipping , insurance et. ( still would have made vitamins cheaper and fresher than the MBK purchase . Wanted to try this as the markup at MBK is so much about 200% and Boots not even sell things in dosages that are effective. Just wanted to chime in about shipito and let others know how good they are . I know about all the verification forms they need but have nothing to hide and feel this just makes their company less suspicious for customs knowing they investigate who their customers are and are legit .

I've never found the USPS tracking into Thailand, depending on which service is used, to be particularly timely in terms of updating once the package has left the U.S.

For a Shipito to Thailand shipment sent via USPS, I'd give it about two weeks to arrive to you normally, sometimes less, rarely more.

If it's taking longer, that's a possible sign that Thai Customs has assessed the package. Usually, it just means a delay of a few days time while they assess the duty owed and then send it onward to Thai Post, and then you getting a duty due notice from your mailman.

If there's no duty assessed, then your mailman should just deliver it directly. However, a $50 valuation plus the declaration of vitamins is probably making it unlikely the box will arrive without a duty being assessed. Staying at or under $30 value per box will keep it within Thailand's official 1,000 baht or less value exclusion for duty being charged.

I Have used Shipito a lot in the last 4 years and if you have multiple packages to send I have found that there is big savings in using the MSP (Multiple shipment package?) option where they combine up to 10 packages in the same shipment. Doing this I have had savings of up to 60% over the charge for shipping individual items.

Paul, by and large, I don't see the value of combining packages anymore with Shipito...

In the past, when they once had an $8.50 charge per shipment on top of the actual postage, then I could see some reason to do it.

But in the past year or so, they've changed that to now a $1 handling fee per shipment plus actual postage.

Unlike some other shippers, Shipito doesn't charge for their most economical services by DIM weight (dimensional weight). They charge based on actual weight. So consolidating boxes (multiple into one combined) isn't likely to save a lot on the shipping costs end. Plus, Shipito also charges a per box handling fee for doing the consolidation.

But, in my experience, what a combined/consolidated package will do, by virtue of having more things and a higher value crammed into one box, is increase the likelihood that Thai customs will assess a duty of 7 or 20 or 30% or more onto everything in your box. The threshhold for charging customs duty supposedly is anything under 1000b in value is supposed to be exempt. And if you go over that and get charged customs duty, that's going to more than offset any postal savings from package consolidation.

For me, sending individual low value, low weight packages is the most economical way to go, especially when Shipito's Airmail Economy Service -- the best pricing I know of to Thailand -- is available for most things up to 4 pounds or so.

Update: I ordered my digestive enzymes from Biovea Thailand. Very easy to use web shop including online tracking of the order status, I paid with Visa, the package was delivered to my condo in 8 working days.

I’ve been suffering from serious online shopping withdrawals for a long time now here in Thailand so I’m happy to have succeeded with my Biovea experiment. They seem to have all kinds of interesting things to browse through for my next shopping spree..

• 2 years later...

I guess it depends on the customs officer - I've ordered similar stuff with PlanetExpress (kinda like Shipito but better prices) when I was in Thailand for some time and everything was fine. The shipping prices vary from country to country and they even change from time to time, so check the shipping calculator and use which company works best for you

4 hours ago, mickeytheguy said:

I guess it depends on the customs officer - I've ordered similar stuff with PlanetExpress (kinda like Shipito but better prices) when I was in Thailand for some time and everything was fine. The shipping prices vary from country to country and they even change from time to time, so check the shipping calculator and use which company works best for you

The potential problem with import shipping any large quantity of vitamins/supplements type stuff in a single package is it's likely to either be seized by Customs (because the manufacturers aren't licensed in Thailand) or hit with a hefty Customs duty.

On the other hand, if you keep individual packages relatively small and lower declared values, under $40 or so, and the package is being handled locally by ThaiPost and NOT FedEx or DHL, then you're likely to have the package arrive safely usually with no Customs duty, and typically only a 7 baht small package handling charge from ThaiPost.

From my experience, for shipping things into Thailand, it usually never is any advantage to consolidate multiple smaller items/packages into one larger box, especially if that pushes the declared value up above the $40 threshhold.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mickeytheguy said:

I guess it depends on the customs officer - I've ordered similar stuff with PlanetExpress (kinda like Shipito but better prices) when I was in Thailand for some time and everything was fine.

I wasn't familiar with Planet Express prior to your mention here.  But in looking at their website, they on the surface appear to be a clone of Shipito, right down to identical fees -- $2 per package handling, $50-a-year plan for consolidations, fees for extra photos, etc.

They even seem to have named what presumably are their own most economical shipping methods the same as Shipito's services -- Economy Mail and Priority Mail.

But I do notice two differences -- although they mention on the website having an online shipping calculator for seeing what their actual shipping rates are to specific countries, I can't find any such online calculator in the public portion of their website. Perhaps it's only available in the members, log-in area.

And the other difference -- Planet Express says they offer 10 days of free storage with their free plan, and then 1 cent per day per package after that. IIRC, Shipito has a considerably longer free storage time with their free plan, I wanna say up to about 90 days.