PI - straight to Cebu ?

I'll probably be flying out of KL at this stage and FWIR I cant see the point in even leaving the terminal at the airport in Manila - just wait for the connecting flight and take my chances in Cebu. If I'm honest, I want to be able to tick that box without hanging around AC and Manila - the consensus seems to be that Cebu is the pick of the other PI cities for a newbie in country, and Cebu it is. At this stage, it will be part of my next visa run to M'sia in June, political situation in both Thailand and PI permitting.

Happy to hear from those who've been there and done it - none of my plans are chiselled in stone at this stage. Hoping to find something other than bars to do, particularly during the day, but it will be interesting given that I dont dive or lie on the beach ;)

Thanks,

MrWW

Thanks for the feedback guys, particularly the outstanding efforts from Asia2000. I admit that it doesnt sound terribly promising but if I dont go I'll never know for myself - even a hellhole like Jakarta has its surprises and I would hope that Cebu is the same. Spoke to an American last night who confirmed that his Fili GF was given a hard time when she last flew out of Manila - she had to show them proof that she was able to support herself when she left the country. The crackdown seems particularly odd given that PI's biggest export earner has long been its people and FWIR domestic unemployment is high. The traffickers will always find ways around these measures and I'll be very surprised if it has put a dent in the Fili working girl population in places like Singapore and KL. Clearly, further research is in order :D

I wouldn't call Cebu a hellhole. It's not the best city, but it's far from the worst. I was in the area for a bit over a month. Cebu for 4 days or so. Bohol for a few days. Dumaguete for about 10 days. Cruised around Cebu island for about a week. Manila for a few days.

Stayed at Moalboal for 3-4 nights. Nice, relaxing area that has some pretty good scuba diving. Not a lot to do, but a few bars and very friendly people. Went to the bottom of Cebu and caught a boat over to Dumaguete. I liked the town. If you are into diving, you have to visit Apo island. It's got a site called Clown Fish City. It's one of the most fun sites I've ever been scuba diving. Amazing. Quite a few resorts down that way also. Great to relax.

As was stated above, lots of attention from the locals. And yes, I tried to setup a few dates, but after waiting more than an hour after the designated time, I just took off.

It's for sure worth a trip to that area if you have never been. One spot at the top of my list is Palawan island. Can't wait to go.

Thanks Craig and I'm sure its not the worst - that would be Kuta ....

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/sex-addict-todd-gisondi-steals-the-limelight-on-channel-7-show-what-really-happens-in-bali/story-e6frfqai-1226934522770

I console myself with the belief that while our tabloid media are concentrating on twits like him they aren't publishing anything negative about Thailand. I guess they figure they'll get their chance the next time an Australian loses the plot in Phuket or Patts. Gotta love the way that article makes it look like all Mr Wonderful needed was his 'rugby gear' and a dog - no doubt mummy and daddy are funding his extended stay in 'paradise'.

I have done a lot of bicycling around the PI , Esp Visayan and I would say that Cebu, the southern part in particular is one of my favorite islands. The exception being Moalboal- I can't comprehend why this place is so popular:The beach sucks, and the hotels and food are probably the most overpriced in the whole of Southeast asia.But heading south from Moalboal to Santander and over to the eastern side of Cebu the scenery is great and traffic is light. The closer to Cebu-City you get the uglier it gets, and the traffic is horrendous.

North and south Cebu island and the surrounding islands are great and plenty to chose from, but having been to Cebu City too many times, I would rate it only 2nd to Manila for filth, poverty, crime, scammers, costs, quality of food and accommodation ............but as mentioned, the Visayan women are the most beautiful in the country, if you like the Malaysian and Spanish mixes.

my 2 pisos..........