Martial law scares off tourists, Thai official warns

webfact

Aaaah, an idea! 'The Hub of Selfies with Soldiers'... A sure fire winner with overseas tourists - providing of course governments and their embassies give factual information on the situation instead of covering their backsides.

As a tourist I'd be feeling much safer with the army on the streets and in control in contrast to the thugs and goons that have been present over the past few years.

And all of a sudden the police are out actually doing their job and actively seeking the publicity, while the army finds the weapons stockpiles and thugs the BIB conveniently knew nothing about - or did they? Amazing...

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The crackdown on visa runs will have more of a dramatic affect on the 'tourist numbers' they love so much...

Well they have to find someone to blame don't they? Many nations need to clean up their own backyards in my opinion.......wai.gif

Kerry

I wonder if they will make available free Tourist Visa's again when this is all over with, same as last time. I mean to promote tourism and get some of those tourists back.

They will just allow border runs again to restore the figures.

• Like 1

If the assertion is true...and tourist are scared off because of martial law...then Thailand needs to do some quick PR promotions to show that the military is actually making it more safe now for tourists...than before martial law was enacted...

When I see statements such as this making headlines, it makes me think that tourism is a bigger component of GDP than is reported. Supposedly tourism is a small percentage, but I don't see other things that hit the bottom line making headlines near as much as the tourism card which is always played.

I tend to agree, as it seems that whenever there is any kind of "issue", it seems like the first thing they talk about is how tourism will be affected. That almost always seems to be their #1 concern. But I also wonder if it's the numbers, or the "loss of face" they perceive? To Thai, there is nothing more important than "face", except money. It does make you wonder.

• Like 1

Has anyone had a look at the SET? It has been going up every day since martial law was invoked biggrin.png

When the business community, in any country, prefers the army to the "elected" government (which is evidenced by the SET), that should be a strong hint to the government that they are doing a terrible job biggrin.png

Edited by monkeycountry

TAT offices in 27 countries will " explain the facts " to foreigners so what they say ?

" No scare you, not martial law is martial law Thai style not same, same. "

The government asked for it, so it's good, democratic, our Dept. PM and Minister of Foreign Affairs said so rolleyes.gif

Travel insurance being void under martial law doesn't help encourage tourism.

Your travel insurance would only be void if the condition you are claiming for has a reasonable connection with the taking of power by the military. Below is the wording of my policy.

17] your claim Arises from any act of war, whether war is declared or not or from any rebellion, revolution, insurrection or taking of power by the military.
So if you got shot or run over by a military vehicle, you are not covered. But if you say, needed treatment because you tripped over a crack in the footpath then you'd still be covered even if martial law applies.
  • Like 1

Ah...these tourists would not have been scared away when war weapons start being deployed and used on civilians on the streets of Bangkok...

The world should now ask why a political party, who is currently in power, amass war weapons for use in a capital city, while telling the world they want to preserve democracy.

What is your evidence for this?

where is the thai airways special ??? any cheap airlines fliying to bkk from australia ???????

If you are departing from Melbourne. Air Asia if flying into Chiang Mai. Jetstar if going to Bangkok or Phuket

Edited by raybal5

Ah...these tourists would not have been scared away when war weapons start being deployed and used on civilians on the streets of Bangkok...

The world should now ask why a political party, who is currently in power, amass war weapons for use in a capital city, while telling the world they want to preserve democracy.

Perhaps the world, if they were interested in your opinions at all, would ask where on earth you got the notion that a political party was "amassing war weapons for use in a capital city". They would, quite rightly, ask for some kind of reasoning behind your hysterical posturing.

Perhaps he was referring to the vehicle travelling from Chiang Mai to Bangkok (a capital city) containing a large amount of guns and ammunition (war weapons), reportedly owned by a 'senior figure' in the PTP (a political party). This is a news report which has been widely publicised, and indeed, UDD members and the police were at great pains to try to stop this discovery being reported; indeed, the police wanted to hand back the weapons to the driver and send him on his way...!!

I don't see any hysterical posturing here, just a hysterical response from a misguided follower desperately trying to hide the 'dirty washing' of a dying political party...!!

2 guns. In a car parked in a Leisure resort. I'll stand by my post thank you.

TAT offices in 27 countries will " explain the facts " to foreigners so what they say ?

The government asked for it, so it's good, democratic, our Dept. PM and Minister of Foreign Affairs said so rolleyes.gif

They didn't ask for it, rubl, stop lying. The government were not informed of Prayuths plans for imposing Martial Law

I wonder if they will make available free Tourist Visa's again when this is all over with, same as last time. I mean to promote tourism and get some of those tourists back.

Paying for a visa would not put one person off, if this is where they really want to come.

The crackdown on visa runs will have more of a dramatic affect on the 'tourist numbers' they love so much...

about the figure going down: agreed. But will have no effect on tourism income since most of these visa-run guys are either on the lower social side = not the big spenders by birth or they are plain haberdasherers ... bar operator, jet ski "instructor", private European eye, multi- lingual pimp, crack/heroin/ ATM card dealers etc.

anybody with decent income / decent environment is able to arrange for one or the other kind of standard visa

• Like 1

They didn't ask for it, rubl, stop lying. The government were not informed of Prayuths plans for imposing Martial Law

"Former deputy prime minister and foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul on Friday expressed his support for the declaration of martial law by the Army."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726599-former-thai-fm-surapong-voices-support-for-martial-law-declaration/

"Former deputy prime minister and foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, now an adviser to the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), expressed support yesterday for a declaration of martial law by the Army.

"If martial law is declared, the military will run the operation to maintain security and the CAPO will not get involved. And I believe that if the martial law is declared nationwide, an election can be held smoothly," he said."

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-60453.html

BTW I understand that "they asked for it" has a few meanings, one of them very interesting and maybe even more apt for the situation.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Travel insurance being void under martial law doesn't help encourage tourism.

It isn't, unless the claim is as a direct or indirect consequence of the application of martial law.

If you get sick, lose your luggage, get mugged or need to return home following the death of a relative etc. etc, you should still be covered.

If you get involved in a riot, get shot in crossfire or run over by a tank then the exclusion would apply.

EDIT: Sorry, missed post #44 which corroborates my understanding.

Edited by madmitch

If the assertion is true...and tourist are scared off because of martial law...then Thailand needs to do some quick PR promotions to show that the military is actually making it more safe now for tourists...than before martial law was enacted...

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that with the current crisis and martial law imposed, many insurers will not cover tourists travelling to Thailand. (didn't Thailand just make a rule that says tourists MUST be insured? If so, then according to their own rules if the insurance company won't cover them then Thailand should not issue them a visa)

This probably has more impact than what is actually happening on the ground.

Travel agents could also get sued if they recommend travellers go to Thailand and something protest related befalls them; whether it is injury or not being able to make a flight etc.

There is more to it than just "being scared" and the Thais need to realize this; in many of the countries where tourists come from; people actually take responsibility for their actions; so if there is even a chance of tragedy happening to a tourist due to the crisis; people will not go and will certainly tell others not to go.

If the Thais want the tourists to come, then they need to get their house in order and be responsible for their own mess.

While the imposition of martial law may affect tourism in Thailand in the short term, what is killing it in the long term is the proliferation of jet ski, tuk tuk, atm, night club etc scams that the country is unfortunately becoming famous for, as well as the absolute corruption that exists at all levels of society.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that with the current crisis and martial law imposed, many insurers will not cover tourists travelling to Thailand. (didn't Thailand just make a rule that says tourists MUST be insured? If so, then according to their own rules if the insurance company won't cover them then Thailand should not issue them a visa)

This probably has more impact than what is actually happening on the ground.

Travel agents could also get sued if they recommend travellers go to Thailand and something protest related befalls them; whether it is injury or not being able to make a flight etc.

There is more to it than just "being scared" and the Thais need to realize this; in many of the countries where tourists come from; people actually take responsibility for their actions; so if there is even a chance of tragedy happening to a tourist due to the crisis; people will not go and will certainly tell others not to go.

If the Thais want the tourists to come, then they need to get their house in order and be responsible for their own mess.

"If the Thais want the tourists to come, then they need to get their house in order and be responsible for their own mess."

Good one cheesy.gif