NBTC cooperates with POMC in screening online contents

webfact

NBTC cooperates with POMC in screening online contents

BANGKOK, 22 May 2014 (NNT) – The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has set up a joint committee with the Peace and Order Maintaining Command (POMC) and relevant agencies to clamp down on provocative contents on the internet.

NBTC Secretary-General Thakorn Tantasit said he had convened a meeting with officials from the POMC as well as over a hundred providers of internet services to discuss ways to enact the POMC’s ban on dissemination of online messages that could incite social rifts.

He also revealed that the NBTC had agreed to establish a joint working committee with the POMC, the Royal Thai Police and the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology in a bid to filter out such inappropriate materials from the World Wide Web.

Mr Thakorn elaborated that, if any websites were found to be in breach of the POMC’s order, the committee would have them closed down within a matter of one hour.

He said a number of those websites had already been terminated while access to some video clips of the same nature on YouTube had been blocked.

In regard to the broadcast suspension order against Voice TV, the POMC pointed out that the TV station could initially alter the contents of its programs for more neutrality.

Once adjustments have been made, the POMC will consult the NBTC again to determine whether to allow the station to resume its airing.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-22 footer_n.gif

Since the Yingluck government took the Computer Criminal Act very seriously and even let k. Chalerm install a survey group in a brand new 400 million Baht building, I would have assumed that most rubbish would already be 'filtered'.

Signing up for "Truemove WIFI unlimited 30 days" I got a webpage which reminded me that I should be aware of the CCA.

Of course it may be that the CAPO tended to concentrate on PDRC 'friendly' and government 'unfriendly' info only.

• Like 1

most of that "rubbish" is in so many places, including hard disks on computers, and is mushrooming faster, than censors are able to detect them and try to shut - not easy, if abroad. Many are using proxy servers to have an access..

the pdrc material are everywhere, I don't believe anybody even was thinking to obstruct it at all. They pressed tv stations for broadcasting therm

If all is coasha here, why the need to hide anything the government deems unfit for its own stance?

People are entitled to opinion, or are they not?

Big brother arriving in Thailand? ... me thinks not, or they all better watch their own backsides from the very top down!

The army wants all media to give balance reports, eg not use TV stations for straight out propaganda or to incite conflict

NBTC tells internet providers to block posts stirring conflict

BANGKOK, 22 May 2014 (NNT) –The Peace and Order Maintaining Command (POMC) has issued an 8th announcement requesting cooperation from social media in spreading news of all events straightforwardly and without bias. On Wednesday the National Broadcasting Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) invited internet providers to meet and urged them to verify, and where necessary block, any contents likely to cause conflict and disorder in the Kingdom.

In a resolution from the meeting, the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is assigned to cooperate with internet providers to check any content that may affect peace and order. If there is any obstacle to supervision, it may inform the NBTC to resolve the problem.

NBTC’s secretary-general Thakorn Tantasit revealed that the NBTC has established a working committee to operate the content verification program.

The NBTC affirms that such action is simply to check any sensitive contents affecting peace and order, and it’s aim is not to suppress people’s rights and freedom to disseminate and communicate information, he added.

Meanwhile, the meeting was joined by representatives from the POMC, Col. Suwat Yotprakorb and Lt.Col. Supradit Plengchawee.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-22 footer_n.gif

You would be blocking half the post on TV

The enabling rabid anti-Thasinista media are the ones suffering the consequences of their blind allegiance to a colour that in most cultures does not have a flattering connotation.

The Thai Media (all yellow and Democrat, with few exceptions) want to be able to lambast all things Thaksin and glorify a crooked sly and veteran politico such as Suthep but, do not want censorship. cheesy.gif

Even after Thaksin passes away (as we all will) what will the Media be gripping about? Same question applies to the TV Suthepistas.

Yellow journalism has acquired a new meaning in Land of Smiles... and not a good one.

• Like 2

most of that "rubbish" is in so many places, including hard disks on computers, and is mushrooming faster, than censors are able to detect them and try to shut - not easy, if abroad. Many are using proxy servers to have an access..

the pdrc material are everywhere, I don't believe anybody even was thinking to obstruct it at all. They pressed tv stations for broadcasting therm

Just like the now dissolved CAPO pressed news agencies not to report in a way which might be deemed PDRC friendly?

These posts don't stir conflict because they are only between marginalised farang geezers retired in Thai villages and don't spill over into Thai society because most of the posters are unable to communicate effectively in the local language. LOL.

It's more like all Thai know that Farang are not able to understand Thai therefor should just be listened to with the occasional nod of the head, a big smile and give him a glass of Lao Khao and ignore him.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

These posts don't stir conflict because they are only between marginalised farang geezers retired in Thai villages and don't spill over into Thai society because most of the posters are unable to communicate effectively in the local language. LOL.

More like block 99% of TV post.

Since the Yingluck government took the Computer Criminal Act very seriously and even let k. Chalerm install a survey group in a brand new 400 million Baht building, I would have assumed that most rubbish would already be 'filtered'.

Signing up for "Truemove WIFI unlimited 30 days" I got a webpage which reminded me that I should be aware of the CCA.

Of course it may be that the CAPO tended to concentrate on PDRC 'friendly' and government 'unfriendly' info only.

There is another way to filter "rubbish". I find the ignore button works fine, though some still gets through.

If all is coasha here, why the need to hide anything the government deems unfit for its own stance?

"Coasha"? I believe you must mean "Kosher", which refers to Jewish dietary laws. So if something is "Kosher", in common parlance, it means it's been checked and is according to the way it's supposed to be.

Not criticizing or making fun, but I've in the past misused words based on having heard but not seen them, or vice-versa, so am always glad of a correction for future use.

• Like 1

There is another way to filter "rubbish". I find the ignore button works fine, though some still gets through.

Personally I refuse to ignore problems, not my style, rolleyes.gif

Anyway the CCA is in place as governments don't believe in 'ignore' buttons.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The TV are a lot of harmless Expats enjoying a bit of fun , nothing else, that is a great reason, and hey someone might just pick up on some good idea's in the reform , right and you are censored on certain issues, I rest my case.

At least you have been forewarned...this intrusion into personal emails and postings...goes on all over the world...it is just not publicized...beware...now that you have been warned...they will be looking quickly to make an example of someone...

Mostly yours as you seem to come out constantly with posts accusing people of this and that with no legally binding proof.

it's a coup... it's a coup,.... it's a coup.

Mango Bob is looking like a prophet right now.... :-)