Thai army takes aim at media to muzzle dissent

webfact

Meanwhile back in the UK I'm going to vote in our local and European elections without a soldier in sight - lovely sunshine and a free internet which is giving me some very interesting insights into what is really going on in the background to all this. Unfortunately owing to martial law and other assorted anti-freedom of speech laws in the Land of Coups we cannot share a broader insight into events or have that discussion. Stay safe people and out of politics - it could be a bumpy ride ahead.

"...one of the first casualties was freedom of information..."

That makes sense. In order to preserve democracy, first they must destroy it.blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png

democracy is not everyone rights. it is a privilege and needs to be earned.

there is no real democracy as long as policies/politicians are bought and sold

"democracy is not everyone rights. it is a privilege and needs to be earned."

Nothing I could say or write could even begin to indicate the utter contempt I feel for such an asinine and evil comment.

• Like 2

Meanwhile back in the UK I'm going to vote in our local and European elections without a soldier in sight - lovely sunshine and a free internet which is giving me some very interesting insights into what is really going on in the background to all this. Unfortunately owing to martial law and other assorted anti-freedom of speech laws in the Land of Coups we cannot share a broader insight into events or have that discussion. Stay safe people and out of politics - it could be a bumpy ride ahead.

There are 16 areas in the Uk where police are being posted at polling stations due to "intimidation" of voters. There are also accusations that postal voting is being abused. Not a good sign for our democracy.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are 16 areas in the Uk where police are being posted at polling stations due to "intimidation" of voters. There are also accusations that postal voting is being abused. Not a good sign for our democracy.

There will always be some local problems but on the whole our electoral system is transparent , honest and reasonably effective. We have had to fight for the right to vote and no one would dream of trying to take it away. The missus having lived in London for 11 years has had her eyes opened in a good way as to how an advanced , civilized democratic , relatively corruption free society works and prospers. Conversely her home country saddens her (and me) as to why it should be that way.

• Like 2

There will always be some local problems but on the whole our electoral system is transparent , honest and reasonably effective. We have had to fight for the right to vote and no one would dream of trying to take it away. The missus having lived in London for 11 years has had her eyes opened in a good way as to how an advanced , civilized democratic , relatively corruption free society works and prospers. Conversely her home country saddens her (and me) as to why it should be that way.

My next statement is in no way a racial dig but a comment on culture. The reports on UK TV are stating that the 16 areas in question all had high Pakistani populations. They even had a couple of MPs of Pakistani descent on the TV (one Labour, one Conservative) saying that this was a serious issue with members of all parties involved. The point being that Pakistan like Thailand is notorious for corruption and coups.

if the press was reporting unbiased truth then there would be no problems but they are simply paid arms of the various groups either pro govt or ant govt. Until the media can be blatantly honest they need to be nuzzled as they only spread lies and innuendo to favour their own biased views.

The red channels are the worst as they are just blatantly dishonest and refuse to tell their listeners the truth because the people would then know the truth and desert them in droves. The media in Thailand is a joke, they wouldnt know how to tell the truth if it bit them on the bum, sensationalism and unfounded story lines are all they can do

Thank you. I actually felt some relief reading another post about the absurd nature of the media- anywhere. I maintain it's questionable to give media carte Blanche protections when by their actions, omission or commission, they foster specific political goals well beyond individual bias. When media becomes prime actors they necessarily forfeit protections- it's implicit; one negates the other. I extend this to international media as well- paid lackeys.

Buffoonery! Baa. If you think the mere presence of soldiers indicates free and fair elections then you are the dolt they want casting ballots. If you believe the EU elections are the natural evolution of the UK, or any other, political maturity, your the butter knife they prefer voting. Ignorance is bliss because you simply don't know better. It's not your fault, I suppose. But I wouldn't wear this (lack of) knowledge with a smile and badge of pride.

EU? USA? Thailand? If you assign the arbitrary presence of soldiers as the factors whereby a democratic process exists or not your being disingenuous, silly, or deceitful. The EU has widely applauded elections in some places on earth where soldiers were present everywhere, but today you cut and paste facts into a narrative. USA has no soldiers running the elections and our political/electoral process has been gutted and rendered utterly useless long ago. I know... I know... UK/EU is different; it's transparent.

Edited by arjunadawn

Something is up as of a few minutes ago

All Thai TV stations down

Military made an announcement

WHAT??????

iTS BEEN OFF SINCE LAST NIGHT, INCLUDING TRUEVISION AND CTH

Here's a clue for you. The original post from Bernard contains information regarding when it was posted. 14 hours ago as at 7.30am.

Also , posting in caps lock is poor internet etiquette, google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by realfunster
  • Like 1

Something is up as of a few minutes ago

All Thai TV stations down

Military made an announcement

WHAT??????

iTS BEEN OFF SINCE LAST NIGHT, INCLUDING TRUEVISION AND CTH

Hahah :)

Perhaps you & arjunadawn who likes your post missed the time stamp of when I posted that?

Note: It was 5:12pm yesterday afternoon ;)