How will the coup affect visa runs?

off topic remarks removed.

Nobody knows yet what the situation will be. Borders should be open, but there were some reports of some being closed. My guess is that they will be open, but that there will be extra scrutiny of who and what is coming in and out.

I am very concerned about this as well! I think at this point it would have to be a flight out / in, as they closed the land borders as of today at 5pm! The only people that are allowed back in are Thais. Also, supposedly a whole bus of people were denied entry to Laos to do the tourist visa hustle.

more here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728299-thai-coup-border-entry-denied-report/

Anyone have any more data on this?

A local forum was reporting this:-

Chom & Chong Sa Ngom Border Crossings Closed
Have been informed by Kap Choeng Immigration that the Chong Chom and the Chong Sa Ngom Border Crossing are closed by the army until further notice. Nobody out No body in.
clear.gif
  • Like 2

Just got a call from a friend who crossed into Malaysia at Danok, no problem

And I think Mario2008 is right, orders may be misinterpreted, just stay in and see what tomorrow brings--a good night's sleep may do you well.

On the lighter side, if you must go out, bring a friend along and tell the military you are taking the friend to hospital; if they don't shoot first.

A local forum was reporting this:-

Chom & Chong Sa Ngom Border Crossings Closed

Have been informed by Kap Choeng Immigration that the Chong Chom and the Chong Sa Ngom Border Crossing are closed by the army until further notice. Nobody out No body in.

clear.gif

Borders may be closed at night to facilitate a more successful curfew. They will probably open in the morning, if not, worry about it then since you will have had a good night's sleep.

I had to do a visa run on the day of the 2006 coup. My wife made an enquiry by phone to immigration and the answer was basically "are you stupid of course its closed there has been a coup." I then rang one of the visa run van companies who happily told me that their fitst vans were at Poipet already and the border was open. We then drove up and renewed my visa without a problem. On the way we passed a few tanks at some majot intersections which I later understood were in case of rebel army units attempting to head to bkk. This fear was never realised. The mood of soldiers at these chechpoints was nothing short of jubilent.

Bit of the subject but my partner has an appointment on Monday in Bangkok at 830am for UKvisa application, there is no contact number they will only deal online, was planning to go to BKK on Sunday, as yet no email from them as yet cancelling, any advice, should we go???

Bit of the subject but my partner has an appointment on Monday in Bangkok at 830am for UKvisa application, there is no contact number they will only deal online, was planning to go to BKK on Sunday, as yet no email from them as yet cancelling, any advice, should we go???

cant see any reason why you wouldn't go.....

The company my girlfriend uses (she's Laotian) said there would be no problem. They do about 3,000 people each weekend. The only difference is she will leave the house at 5am rather than 2am. She just got off the phone with them.

So, THAT's a relief! Whew!

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but i have not been in any Country when this has happened...... I have to go to Cambodia to get a Non-B Visa next week, flying from BKK to Phnom Phen, this "should" be ok do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the answer. :)

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but i have not been in any Country when this has happened...... I have to go to Cambodia to get a Non-B Visa next week, flying from BKK to Phnom Phen, this "should" be ok do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the answer. smile.png

There are a few reports of some border crossings being closed. But the airports are operating as normal. By air you should not have any problem.

• Like 2

Thanks in advance for the answer. smile.png

There are a few reports of some border crossings being closed. But the airports are operating as normal. By air you should not have any problem.

Thanks Mario, I have to be out of the Country anyway at that time, so i'll give it a crack and let everyone know if i succeed or not... Be safe everyone... :)

Hello due my 90 day run on the 27th does anybody know my options if I cannot cross!! Or should I book a flight now..my local crossing chong mek has been taken over by the army and all movement has ceased, has anybody tried to cross an army occupied crossing? Thanks for your help

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a trip booked for a Vientiane visa run on Sunday dep CM 7pm.. The agency just told me there is no problem with the overnight journey and the visa service/border crossing is operating normally. Just hope they are right.

• Like 1

I am very concerned about this as well! I think at this point it would have to be a flight out / in, as they closed the land borders as of today at 5pm! The only people that are allowed back in are Thais. Also, supposedly a whole bus of people were denied entry to Laos to do the tourist visa hustle.

more here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728299-thai-coup-border-entry-denied-report/

Anyone have any more data on this?

I crossed into Thailand from Laos at Nongkhai border, I left on Thursday morning to get a new Visa and came back with it Friday around 3pm. No problems at all with any of it. I then proceeded to Udon Thani and hopped on a flight to Bangkok. There were others I saw crossing as well that I recognized from the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, I did not see anyone denied entry.

I have a trip booked for a Vientiane visa run on Sunday dep CM 7pm.. The agency just told me there is no problem with the overnight journey and the visa service/border crossing is operating normally. Just hope they are right.

As of Friday afternoon 3pm , they are right.....

good luck gettinga non b visa in Phnom Penh, i hope you are ONLY appyling for your first single entry NON B visa , ( i checked with the embassy already) they are the worst emabssy for Farangs in SE Asia

"Thank you for your email. As your girlfriend has already received a Non-B visa once, existing regulations prohibit us from issuing another non-B to her again. Please contact your nearest Immigration Office in Thailand to extend the existing visa, as this is the correct way to extend her stay in Thailand."

Edited by phuketrichard