Where Can I Get A Keyboard With German Letters in Ubon, Or Elsewhere?

sirchai

Hello and Swasdee Khrap,

I've just started to make some translations from English into German and need a keyboard with all the letters that are not available, including the "Eszett."

I know that there're some Swiss, Austrian and German guys around and would deeply appreciate if somebody would have an idea, where to get one, as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers- wai2.gif

Go to eBay and search for German Keyboard Stickers.

They're available in many languages and last for many years.

Available in many colors to accommodate various keyboard colors.

You'll need to add a German language in your computer setting though.

Even plugging a German keyboard from Germany will not add the language for you.

• Like 2

Agreed.

We gave an English laptop to the Thai Family and bought the Thai Character stickers (at Pantip from memory) and used that. 50 Baht?

A cheap easy soloution.

I didn't initially suggest it as you aren't anywhere near Banhkok.

Great, easy and cheap soloution though.

• Like 1

It's easy to do and many ways to do it. On my computer I have English, Thai and Japanese. biggrin.png

Why you don't ask your son? thumbsup.gif

You told us he is an expert to help others if some have problems with their computer. coffee1.gif

ALL computers have that language function.

But the OP, from what we can gather, is looking for the German characters to be on the keys.

Heck, I run Windows XP ... it even has Thai script available.

• Like 1

Printers are wizards with all types of PC systems so Id guess printing German icons on an A4 sticky back plastic sheet would be "kids play" to one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Before I was using XP but 2 years ago I got a new computer with HDMI. I was not able
to buy a legal Windows 7 in Ubon but a shop got it from Bangkok (8000 THB).whistling.gif
I don't like the problems with copies!facepalm.gif

Thai knows how to change the language function from Thai to English and back
when they want to chat. giggle.gif

You just have to add German! thumbsup.gif

No, I am not working coffee1.gif

Before I was using XP but 2 years ago I got a new computer with HDMI. I was not able

to buy a legal Windows 7 in Ubon but a shop got it from Bangkok (8000 THB).whistling.gif

I don't like the problems with copies!facepalm.gif

Thai knows how to change the language function from Thai to English and back

when they want to chat. giggle.gif

You just have to add German! thumbsup.gif

No, I am not working coffee1.gif

You must be kidding. I have four language packs on my PC and notebook installed. But for my own personal reason, I was asking where to get a keyboard with freaking German letters on, that are not being used by others.

Should have known better, not to post such a -for some TVF members-too difficult question.

Should any mods read that, please close it. Please.

Edited by sirchai

It's easy to do and many ways to do it. On my computer I have English, Thai and Japanese. biggrin.png

Why you don't ask your son? thumbsup.gif

You told us he is an expert to help others if some have problems with their computer. coffee1.gif

I'm looking for a keyboard with German letters on it. Thanks for your brainy comments.

God, why do I get a headache reading that? I'd like to buy a keyboard, as I need it to make faster translations.

Mate ... can I suggest an alternative?

A few years ago, we set up a virtual Thai Keyboard, using a standard QWERTY one.

You can do the same in German.

Here .. http://german.typeit.org/

Maybe a soloution?

Only because you are a friend of transam ... rolleyes.gif

Thanks! All I'm looking for is a keyboard. Will get one from Germany, but it can take some time. I posted it as I'll have to make some translations for somebody by Sunday and it saves a lot of time and energy. .

Thanks a lot.

God, why do I get a headache reading that? I'd like to buy a keyboard, as I need it to make faster translations.

What is it in my reply giving you a headache? A standard English keyboard with German stickers will look and perform no different than the bloody factory made German keyboard.

But if you can't competent what my advise was about, or too picky, then by all means go and buy one straight from Berlin!

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

• Like 1

I will come to Thailand in 2 weeks or so and could bring one.

A short term solution would be to write oe for ö, ae for ä, ue for über and sz for ß, then after doc is done do a search and replace. Enter the äöüß as Alt- key combos.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

you neither need stickers nor another keyboard nor change the language. generate your "umlaute" and the "scharfe s" by holding down the "alt" key, type on the numeric block of your keyboard the below specified number and release "alt" key to generate

ä = alt+123

ü = alt+129

ö = alt+148

ß = alt+225

if you use a laptop without numeric block plug in a normal english keyboard via USB.

• Like 1

What is it in my reply giving you a headache? A standard English keyboard with German stickers will look and perform no different than the bloody factory made German keyboard.

But if you can't competent what my advise was about, or too picky, then by all means go and buy one straight from Berlin!

standard English keyboard with German stickers will look and perform no different than...

your PC knowledge seems quite limited. do you think a cat wearing a collar which says "dog" will bark? whistling.gif

• Like 1

you neither need stickers nor another keyboard nor change the language. generate your "umlaute" and the "scharfe s" by holding down the "alt" key, type on the numeric block of your keyboard the below specified number and release "alt" key to generate

ä = alt+123

ü = alt+129

ö = alt+148

ß = alt+225

if you use a laptop without numeric block plug in a normal english keyboard via USB.

Thanks a lot.I'm making pretty much long translations for a company and that would actually take too much time.

Just copying and pasting gave me such a headache last time. A two day job took five days......facepalm.gif

Not wanting to be impolite to others yesterday, I was in Ubon had quite a lot of stuff to do, no chance to buy such a thing there.

And had to attend a meeting at my school 90 km away from Ubon in the morning. Cheers-thumbsup.gif

I like to apologize, had a long day yesterday and was pretty much exhausted when I wrote that. Might be a great idea to send Angela Merkel an E-mail with the missing letters.

• Like 1

If I thought that Sirchai was a lady I would be hazarding a guess that it was time of the monthlaugh.png

[There .... I've just pi$$ed off all Germans and all women in one fell swoop]

Nope. Your jokes are always deeply appreciated.. w00t.gif

2 options as someone said using cntl and any character from ascii code set(print out entire code set and numbers ) and 2 print a german keyboard layout and load german keyboard from windows to language settings .your printout will enable you to locate the correct key for character required.you can also temporarily stick the german characters on your regular keyboard.

standard English keyboard with German stickers will look and perform no different than...

your PC knowledge seems quite limited. do you think a cat wearing a collar which says "dog" will bark? whistling.gif

Sorry Naam, my PC knowledge goes way deeper than you seem to think and it's you who's missing a bit here, or you just being sarcastic?

First of all you compare apple to oranges (or cats to dogs in your case) while I'm talking about keyboards.

I"m not teaching you (since you're German so you already know it), but I'm simply pointing out that German has the same 26 letter in alphabet as English, plus those extra characters will make it 30. FYI the Russian stickers and a generic English keyboard make a fully functional dual language keyboard and Russian has 33 letters in alphabet.

German keyboard is the same piece of hardware with 103+ keys as any English keyboard, but with different (German) layout and German characters on it. PC doesn't know what language keyboard is plugged in that's why the proper layout needs to be selected (as I said at the end of my 1st reply). From PC's point of view the hardware is the same be it English, German, Russian, Chinese, Italian or Arabic keyboard. By changing a layout and applying stickers any language keyboard can be changed to any other language.

If you have done a simple googling or checking on eBay as I suggested, you'd have seen that the stickers are transparent and only add an extra character to a key therefore making a keyboard a dual language keyboard. Good quality stickers won't be visible and will probably last as long as the keyboard itself.

Ordering a set of stickers is a lot cheaper and faster than ordering a complete keyboard on which you'd most likely get to pay extortious customs fees, but what do I know? Nothing beats the German quality of German keyboard made in China! whistling.gifwink.png

I occasionally do translations into German. Using the German language option I just type 'ae' for a-Umlaut etc, my spell checker (usually) does the rest. I wouldn't want to do this professionally although it is a bit quicker than copy/paste. There is also a Firefox addon called 'Mywords', not an easy option but I can insert stuff like ฿, °C, ... easier than using Unicodes.

Sorry Naam, my PC knowledge goes way deeper than you seem to think and it's you who's missing a bit here, or you just being sarcastic?

First of all you compare apple to oranges (or cats to dogs in your case) while I'm talking about keyboards.

I"m not teaching you (since you're German so you already know it), but I'm simply pointing out that German has the same 26 letter in alphabet as English, plus those extra characters will make it 30. FYI the Russian stickers and a generic English keyboard make a fully functional dual language keyboard and Russian has 33 letters in alphabet.

German keyboard is the same piece of hardware with 103+ keys as any English keyboard, but with different (German) layout and German characters on it. PC doesn't know what language keyboard is plugged in that's why the proper layout needs to be selected (as I said at the end of my 1st reply). From PC's point of view the hardware is the same be it English, German, Russian, Chinese, Italian or Arabic keyboard. By changing a layout and applying stickers any language keyboard can be changed to any other language.

If you have done a simple googling or checking on eBay as I suggested, you'd have seen that the stickers are transparent and only add an extra character to a key therefore making a keyboard a dual language keyboard. Good quality stickers won't be visible and will probably last as long as the keyboard itself.

Ordering a set of stickers is a lot cheaper and faster than ordering a complete keyboard on which you'd most likely get to pay extortious customs fees, but what do I know? Nothing beats the German quality of German keyboard made in China! whistling.gifwink.png

may i [not so] humbly suggest that you are entitled to receive the award

"possesses a wealth of no idea how to generate foreign letters/characters without changing keyboard or adding useless stickers to a keyboard."

laugh.png

• Like 1

2 options as someone said using cntl and any character from ascii code set(print out entire code set and numbers ) and 2 print a german keyboard layout and load german keyboard from windows to language settings .your printout will enable you to locate the correct key for character required.you can also temporarily stick the german characters on your regular keyboard.

layout and load german keyboard from windows to language settings...................

Thanks, just sent an e-mail to Microsoft, as my Windows 7 doesn't allow me to download keyboards....

I do have four language packs installed and thanks for all, finished my 6000 words translation by copying and pasting "special letters."

No stickers for me, please.thumbsup.gif Why do "these" Germans always create problems for innocent TFV members?

Edited by sirchai

may i [not so] humbly suggest that you are entitled to receive the award

"possesses a wealth of no idea how to generate foreign letters/characters without changing keyboard or adding useless stickers to a keyboard."

laugh.png

Good for you if you remember all the keys location and can type away without looking at the keyboard, me as well as many others, need to actually look at the keyboard and see the actual letters.

OP was about a new keyboard to make his typing and translations easier/faster so I'd guess (but I might be wrong) that op wants to see the actual German letters on the keyboard, not trying to generate some special characters with a weird keys combinations.

So please stop trolling, your posts are not answering OP's question and as for me, I can get by using the virtual keyboard on those rare occasions I need to use the foreign language.

Here's an example of a keyboard with stickers (could be any color to suit your needs):

swiss_ger_stickers_tr_yellow1.jpg

Useless stickers? For you - maybe. Stick with your key combos then. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1