Leaving Thailand for Cambodia - for a while

TramsRepus

i was in Sihanoukville last month and lots of people getting phones/ipads stolen on the beach

I saw a bar get burned down catch on fire from an electrical fault

it was very cheap for a beer though, 8b for a small glass at happy hour (probably half a bottles worth) but normally 30b for a decent size draft.

xanex available in the pharmacy for like $2 for 40 pills which I didnt use as I managed to sleep and gave the tablets away - so meds pretty cheap

weed everywhere and the police not bothered about it

I would only move there if I had to - say if I could not get a visa here - I took my car inside cambodia as well, so would not be a problem transfering all my gear from here - I met a bloke who said it was $20 bribe to bring a car load of stuff in for him from thailand.

if you are broke, its a good option.

Imported beer is fine to drink, in Cambodia.

However, it is quite well known by the locals, that the cheap, Cambodian draught's alcohol content is much lower than than that of say, a Bud Lite at 2.8 percent.

Haven't you ever noticed that it's possible to drink many pints or jugs of the Cambodian draught beer without getting drunk? So, there you go, it bloats you and in the long run it isn't any cheaper than the imported Thai beers.

Edited by somchaismith

Ah yes, everything is so much better in Cambodia,e specially Sihanoukville; a shithole that makes Pattaya look like paradise. Been in Cambodia for 5 years and love it, but I make damn sure to avoid Snooky as much as I can. But I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

There is no comparison between Pattaya and Sihanoukville.

Those that say Snooky is Cambodia's Pattaya are way off the mark.

Give me the beaches of Snooky any day and genuine BBQ restaurants. Pattaya has far more amenities and is at least 10 times the size. It is, IMO, a much bigger sh!thole.

i was in Sihanoukville last month and lots of people getting phones/ipads stolen on the beach

it was very cheap for a beer though, 8b for a small glass at happy hour (probably half a bottles worth) but normally 30b for a decent size draft.

xanex available in the pharmacy for like $2 for 40 pills which I didnt use as I managed to sleep and gave the tablets away - so meds pretty cheap

I would only move there if I had to - say if I could not get a visa here - I took my car inside cambodia as well, so would not be a problem transfering all my gear from here - I met a bloke who said it was $20 bribe to bring a car load of stuff in for him from thailand.

ah nice to see people have their priorities right about selecting a country to live in....rolleyes.gif

Doner Kebab's - check

Cheap Alcohol - check

Cheap sleeping tablets - check

illicit drugs freely available - check

However you missed on.....price of the local women....whistling.gif

Seems Cambodia has the same quality tourists , Thailand gets...giggle.gif

Imported beer is fine to drink, in Cambodia.

However, it is quite well known by the locals, that the cheap, Cambodian draught's alcohol content is much lower than than that of say, a Bud Lite at 2.8 percent.

Haven't you ever noticed that it's possible to drink many pints or jugs of the Cambodian draught beer without getting drunk? So, there you go, it bloats you and in the long run it isn't any cheaper than the imported Thai beers.

Angkor, Anchor, Cambodia are all 5%, just like Singha and Chang. What you are talking about is the beer they sell for 50 Cents which of course is watered down.

Can someone say "overreaction"?

Overreaction....that's the strange thing about the OP, Thailand is most likely to be safer today than it has been in the last 12 months.

one suspects over all crime will decrease, there will not be nightly grenade attacks, people getting shot at protests in BKK, the BiB will be keeping a low profile and not scamming money off people etc.

Keep dreaming................................................. coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

In Sihanukville a Donner chicken kabob costs $4; in Pattaya $2.

I don't belive the price of Donner chicken kebab is the most deciding factor when you choose where to live wink.png

Likely not, but one per day for a year is >$700.

I plan to live for at least ten more years, and I eat almost every day, so....

Curious, what is the most deciding factor?

Khmer women are okay, but Thai ying are the yummiest, IMO.

I feel sorry for you if you have to eat Doner Kebab every day for the rest of your life ;)

I am surprised foreigners, especially expats choose Sihanoukville , it's a shit hole and do not represent Cambodia , just like Pattaya but worse.

If you wanna escape it's a lot better to stay in Phnom Penh , the city is not too big, nice friendly people, good khmer food or international restaurants everywhere you look . And cheap beer and ladies if that's your thing,

Edited by balo

I don't belive the price of Donner chicken kebab is the most deciding factor when you choose where to live wink.png

well, PPP, but a few more staples is needed--make that "are" needed

Edited by smotherb

Can someone say "overreaction"?

Right, because living in places that are under martial law is completely reasonable and expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Indeed, all those tanks everywhere, gun-toting soldiers, summary executions. Really hard. Or is it that the bars close at 10?

• 4 weeks later...

a major factor i dont live in cambo is thay aint got aura water. if they had any type of readily available non-toxic bottled water, i probably would still be there. oh and the chicken, my gawd.

now 18 jun so just two months for the health professionals to put a stop to that nonsense,

aura now too has joined the ranks of poisonous crap. well done.

a major factor i dont live in cambo is thay aint got aura water. if they had any type of readily available non-toxic bottled water, i probably would still be there. oh and the chicken, my gawd.

now 18 jun so just two months for the health professionals to put a stop to that nonsense,

aura now too has joined the ranks of poisonous crap. well done.

Only wish they had lamb,love lamb kebab,great after a good session.