High milk price go against Thai govt wishes to increase milk consumption

webfact

High milk price go against government wishes to increase milk consumption

PNSOC570523001002101.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 May 2014 (NNT) – Despite being the largest producer of milk in Southeast Asia, Thais on average consume only 14 liters of milk per year, making the nation's level of milk consumption much lower than other countries around the world.

The Department of Livestock Development, the Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand, along with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) will be organizing the World Milk Day event on June 1st at Parc Paragon in Siam Paragon, in an attempt to boost milk consumption.

Governmental agencies have expressed concern that Thais on average consume meager amounts of milk compared to other ASEAN countries, where each person consumes an average of 60 liters of milk per year.

Elsewhere, people living in the European Union (EU) nations consume an average of 300 liters of milk per year. For this reason, the FAO is planning to double the amount of milk consumption by Thais.

However, the high prices of milk have prevented individuals with low income from being able to afford buying milk. In addition, Thailand is also a country with the highest prices of milk in the world. Milk can be priced at 18 baht per liter and that number expected to rise by another 1 baht this year.

The Assistant Director-General and Regional Representative for Asia and the Pacific of AFO, Mr. Hiroyuki Konuma, advised the Thai government to keep the cost of milk production low.

However, he understands that this also a problem in many countries in the world, as the prices of animal feed have continued to rise and the cost of living in Thailand has kept milk prices high.

Mr. Konuma suggested that further enhancement and usage of domestic animal feed are required to bring the price of milk lower.

For now, the Ministry of Food and Agriculture wanted Thais to consider the quality beyond the price first.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-23 footer_n.gif

Cow milk is bad for humans, been proved, thai will start to suffer of osteoporosis and other illness related, my daughter been breastfeed for 4 years (well that is too much may be too), and drinks only Soy milk, she doesn't like cow milk at all, she bring her soy milk to school....

And Asian people begin their trouble with illness like in the west world with the introduction of sugar, milk and beginner to eat lots more meat than before.

The China Study and The Sugar Blues, say it all.

• Like 1

Cow milk is bad for humans, been proved, thai will start to suffer of osteoporosis and other illness related, my daughter been breastfeed for 4 years (well that is too much may be too), and drinks only Soy milk, she doesn't like cow milk at all, she bring her soy milk to school....

And Asian people begin their trouble with illness like in the west world with the introduction of sugar, milk and beginner to eat lots more meat than before.

and what should be bad on the milk?

... and there's quite a bit of evidence that soy milk is not healthy. I wouldn't drink it.

... and there's quite a bit of evidence that soy milk is not healthy. I wouldn't drink it.

the only thing I see problematic is when it comes as cacao with lots of sugar and full fat. But else it is a very good source of protein. If some kids don't eat enough meat it will help a lot.

correct, i used to think soymilk was healthier, but it turns out that unfermented soy (what soymilk is) is loaded with phytoestrogen, protease inhibitors, phytic acid, goitrogens. and more...

Cow milk is better then soy, but cows milk is designed to make a baby cow grow very fast and study has shown it can make humans grow too fast, maybe some protein causes it. if it's about calcium, then almond milk would be a good choice, albeit an expensive choice in Thailand

"Thais on average consume only 14 liters of milk per year, making the nation's level of milk consumption much lower than other countries around the world."

Good lord, I'm sure most of us drink 14 litres every 3 weeks or less, of milk

Maybe that's why a large comparable percentage of Thai males develop titties?

Evolution of milk drinking may have just found the answer to so much Thai gayness? whistling.gif

correct, i used to think soymilk was healthier, but it turns out that unfermented soy (what soymilk is) is loaded with phytoestrogen, protease inhibitors, phytic acid, goitrogens. and more...

Cow milk is better then soy, but cows milk is designed to make a baby cow grow very fast and study has shown it can make humans grow too fast, maybe some protein causes it. if it's about calcium, then almond milk would be a good choice, albeit an expensive choice in Thailand

It is a good source of protein. There is no grow hormone in the milk. It doesn't make a difference if you drink a glass of milk or eat a piece more pork. Protein is very needed for the development of the brain. Not enough makes you a bit silly but of course let you grow less.

If the milk is full fat it can be too much calories and make the kids fat. But usually it is the double McFat burger with the coke and the icecream with lots of sugar and low quality fat and not the milk.

"Thais on average consume only 14 liters of milk per year, making the nation's level of milk consumption much lower than other countries around the world."

Good lord, I'm sure most of us drink 14 litres every 3 weeks or less, of milk

Maybe that's why a large comparable percentage of Thai males develop titties?

Evolution of milk drinking may have just found the answer to so much Thai gayness? whistling.gif

I would think more of:

beer

overweight

Thai chicken (contains chemicals that act like estrogen)

Now now little children, do what uncle Junta says … drink your milk. go to bed early, and be good little Thai citizens, so that us bad adults can ravage and plunder the whole country as we have done in the past.

Edited by useronthenet
  • Like 1

Price of milk up today at Makro, 87bht for 2 litre, thats up 4 bht since last week,

maybe taking advantage of whats going on, 18 bht litre if thats what it costs to

produce, 36 bht for 2 litre, even taking in account the bottle and transport,its

still making good profit.

regards worgeordie

Low dairy consumption is one of the factors in the relatively short stature of Thais ( significant difference with changes in Singapore, Korea, Japan, Taiwan over the past 40 years). From my observation, Thais run a greater chance of health issues with the looming carbohydrate/sugar crisis , thanks to the infiltration of crap western food into the diet

• Like 2

I can accept the apparent low figures for Thai consumption of Milk if they are talking about just liquid Milk itself - if you include products such as Ice Cream, Yoghurt etc. I am sure the figure is much higher.

Patrick

P.S. - I always thought "Soy Milk" was just ordinary milk ..... introducing itself in Spanish.

Sorry! tongue.png

"where each person consumes an average of 60 liters of milk per year. Elsewhere, people living in the European Union (EU) nations consume an average of 300 liters of milk per year. "

??? so if other asian countries consume more alcohol than thailand....then the government would promote drinking more alcohol? Or if other citizens in other asian countries owned more guns, then thailand would recommend people buying more guns.....

It's odd that this "milk" talk is seen as something healthy....there's quite a bit of evidence that suggests otherwise...just google it....or maybe drink soy milk. But I think there is more to this than just 'milk'....like farmers who want to make more money selling it and some big farmer who has a connection in the govt who might be showing some appreciation for the recognition of "selling more milk". Money is usually hiding somewhere behind the story. Health conscious people don't drink a lot of milk....if any at all. But they will have a couple glasses of wine with dinner.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hope that the prices will go sky high and then people will not drink this dangerous "food." Unless you are drinking unpasteurized milk the milk sold in supermarkets is full of whatever the cows took in their bodies such as antibiotics and hormones. Some still think milk is a source of calcium, well, there is a problem there because it has been proven that the pasteurization of milk makes the calcium of the milk unusable and unassimalable. Dairy products like cheese and butter and yogurt made from pasteurized milk have the same issues and are not healthy unless they are "raw and unpasteurized." Google or talk to a doctor who has some concept of nutrition and you will hear the same thing!

https://bay168.mail.live.com/default.aspx?id=64855&wa=wsignin1.0&rru=inbox#tid=cmNkuyCT0V4xGMbAAhWtmjkg2&fid=flsearch&srch=1&skws=dairy&sfld=flO0TJwB-HhUisDd64kG2b_Q2&sdr=4&satt=0

Breast fed for 4 years? Soy milk in Thailand is full of sugar. Rice milk is what I drink but surprisingly not widely available in Thailand.

Most foods are bad for humans if taken in excess,with so many reports that

this is bad for you,then contradictions later on saying its ok, you are best

just eating what you want,enjoy life,or do you want to live to a 100,alone in

some crap nursing home, loosing your mind, best to enjoy life now,the future

is too far away and uncertain.

regards worgeordie

I hope that the prices will go sky high and then people will not drink this dangerous "food." Unless you are drinking unpasteurized milk the milk sold in supermarkets is full of whatever the cows took in their bodies such as antibiotics and hormones. Some still think milk is a source of calcium, well, there is a problem there because it has been proven that the pasteurization of milk makes the calcium of the milk unusable and unassimalable. Dairy products like cheese and butter and yogurt made from pasteurized milk have the same issues and are not healthy unless they are "raw and unpasteurized." Google or talk to a doctor who has some concept of nutrition and you will hear the same thing!

https://bay168.mail.live.com/default.aspx?id=64855&wa=wsignin1.0&rru=inbox#tid=cmNkuyCT0V4xGMbAAhWtmjkg2&fid=flsearch&srch=1&skws=dairy&sfld=flO0TJwB-HhUisDd64kG2b_Q2&sdr=4&satt=0

unpasteurized in a hot country like Thailand?????????

And why should Calcium get unusable?

And beside the Calcium it is a great source of protein.

antibiotics and hormones and the lack of checks is indeed a problem, but you have the same kind of problem on meat, vegetables, fruits, rice, bread, fish, eggs.