Pillay warns of human rights violation

Lite Beer

COUP
Pillay warns of human rights violation
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on Friday warned Thailand on the possible breach of the international human rights law, concerning the restrictions on fundamental freedoms and the detention of senior politicians and civilians.

Condemning the military coup, she urged Thailand to "ensure respect for human rights and a prompt restoration of the rule of law in the country."

"My office has been closely monitoring the political turbulence in Thailand for the last five months and I am deeply concerned about the forcible replacement of an elected government, the imposition of martial law, the suspension of the constitution and the emergency measures that are restricting the enjoyment of human rights," the High Commissioner said, in a statement released from Geneva.

Since yesterday, twenty one announcements and three Orders have been issued by the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC) - the new body that has seized power from the caretaker government. The eleventh announcement suspended constitutional rights and freedoms. Six announcements severely restricts freedom of expression and freedom of assembly, including censorship of all media outlets, closure of TV and radio stations, prohibition of information critical of the NPOMC, restrictions on internet and prohibition of political gatherings of more than five people.

"I am very concerned by the restrictions on fundamental freedoms imposed by the NPOMC" Pillay said, adding that freedom of expression and freedom of assembly are particularly important in resolving difficult political issues through dialogue and debate.

Yesterday afternoon before the first announcement was made by the NPOMC, senior leaders of political factions were invited to the Army club, subsequently detained, before being transferred to the First Infantry Regiment, King’s Guards. Overnight, under three successive Orders issued by the NPOMC, 155 individuals were summoned to the army bases, including former cabinet members of the Government, Redshirts leaders, family members of Pheu Thai parliamentarians and some PDRC leaders. They continue to be under detention in different army bases.

"The military detention of senior politicians and civilians is very disturbing and I urge the NPOMC to immediately release them," noted Pillay.

"I remind the authorities that the implementation of any emergency measures must comply with international human rights standards. The right to life and the prohibition against torture cannot be breached, regardless of the circumstances."

"I urge the NPOMC to ensure that they do not stray from Thailand's obligations under international human rights law, in particular the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which strictly limit the application of emergency powers," Pillay said. "Measures derogating from the provisions of the Covenant must be of an exceptional and temporary nature and must be limited to the extent strictly required by the exigencies of the situation," she added.Pillay condemns coup and urges release of detainees

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on Friday urged Thailand to "ensure respect for human rights and a prompt restoration of the rule of law in the country."

She also urged the release of senior politicians and civilians detained by the military.

"My office has been closely monitoring the political turbulence in Thailand for the last five months and I am deeply concerned about the forcible replacement of an elected Government, the imposition of martial law, the suspension of the constitution and the emergency measures that are restricting the enjoyment of human rights," the High Commissioner said, in a statement released from Geneva.

Since yesterday, twenty one announcements and three Orders have been issued by the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC) - the new body that has seized power from the caretaker government. The eleventh announcement suspended constitutional rights and freedoms. Six announcements severely restricts freedom of expression and freedom of assembly, including censorship of all media outlets, closure of TV and radio stations, prohibition of information critical of the NPOMC, restrictions on internet and prohibition of political gatherings of more than five people.

"I am very concerned by the restrictions on fundamental freedoms imposed by the NPOMC" Pillay said, adding that freedom of expression and freedom of assembly are particularly important in resolving difficult political issues through dialogue and debate.

Yesterday afternoon before the first announcement was made by the NPOMC, senior leaders of political factions were invited to the Army club, subsequently detained, before being transferred to the First Infantry Regiment, King’s Guards. Overnight, under three successive Orders issued by the NPOMC, 155 individuals were summoned to the army bases, including former cabinet members of the Government, Redshirts leaders, family members of Pheu Thai parliamentarians and some PDRC leaders. They continue to be under detention in different army bases.

"The military detention of senior politicians and civilians is very disturbing and I urge the NPOMC to immediately release them," noted Pillay.

"I remind the authorities that the implementation of any emergency measures must comply with international human rights standards. The right to life and the prohibition against torture cannot be breached, regardless of the circumstances."

"I urge the NPOMC to ensure that they do not stray from Thailand's obligations under international human rights law, in particular the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which strictly limit the application of emergency powers," Pillay said. "Measures derogating from the provisions of the Covenant must be of an exceptional and temporary nature and must be limited to the extent strictly required by the exigencies of the situation," she added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-24

Thailand has never given a rats about human rights and if you criticise their human rights abuses you will be arrested and charged. Miss Navi Pillay should keep her mouth shut and not interfere or else she will find a whole can of whooparse coming her way. Alan Morison and Australian Journo spoke out about the Navy and is now facing 7 years imprisonment. The Thai Military do not take to kindly to this sort of thing and Navi Pillay could also find herself arrested and facing a long stretch.

• Like 2

Possibly they could arrange for the details of waterboarding to be sent the Thai army so they can conduct interviews in a humane manner.

• Like 2

Thailand has never given a rats about human rights and if you criticise their human rights abuses you will be arrested and charged. Miss Navi Pillay should keep her mouth shut and not interfere or else she will find a whole can of whooparse coming her way. Alan Morison and Australian Journo spoke out about the Navy and is now facing 7 years imprisonment. The Thai Military do not take to kindly to this sort of thing and Navi Pillay could also find herself arrested and facing a long stretch.

If Navi Pillay were to travel to Thailand she would not be detained and face trial. The coup leaders would know it would be totally counterproductive & stupid to do so.

These so called experts from the international community don't seem to understand what has gone on in Thailand over the last 10 years.

This is all about Thaksin and nothing about democracy. If it were true democracy it would not be run by one leader for so long, who controls and dominates everything with his money.

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 2

Forget about the coup (s), Thaksin overthrow, appointed leaders versus elected leaders, tossed out constitutions, etc., the sad thing is the Thai Police did not do anything to maintain order, clear the streets, enforce procedures for large demonstrations. Instead, the military gets involved. There is no rule of law there and there consistently has not been anywhere. There historically has been a huge gap between people with power and influence and the poorer folk, much so than in many western countries.

If Navi Pillay were to travel to Thailand she would not be detained and face trial. The coup leaders would know it would be totally counterproductive & stupid to do so.

Lighten up, life is too short, you will do yourself an injustice with taking everything so literally, don't just read the words, and understand the message and meaning.

How long can Australia detain people under the Crimes act without even allowing it to be known they are detained?

How long can and has Britain done the same?

How long does the US detain people politically?

How long can Australia detain people under the Crimes act without even allowing it to be known they are detained?

How long can and has Britain done the same?

How long does the US detain people politically?

Such as

"Barack Obama has abandoned a commitment to veto a new security law that allows the military to indefinitely detain without trial American terrorism suspects arrested on US soil who could then be shipped to Guantánamo Bay.""

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/dec/15/americans-face-guantanamo-detention-obama

The entire world is laughing at Thailand. The military is so greedy and corrupt and this time the double talk employed by them and their idiotic supporters won't work again. It's just a shame that the people of Thailand have to suffer because of the stupiity of a few elites.

The military is so greedy and corrupt ?

you mean The ptp politicians are so greedy and corrupt

The military is just fixing this

This should read the military are fixing this for themselves - check how many of them have Mercedes in their garages - paid for out of their salaries of course!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The entire world is laughing at Thailand. The military is so greedy and corrupt and this time the double talk employed by them and their idiotic supporters won't work again. It's just a shame that the people of Thailand have to suffer because of the stupiity of a few elites.

Most of the world does not even know where Thailand is located, let alone care enough to laugh at it. The true nature of the Thai Military is probably even less known and understood.

Human Rights seems to be more a figment of political imagination than a reality since a vast majority of humans are grossly under-educated (by their own governments) plus live in appalling poverty/health conditions. The UN has its own share of corruption and inefficiency - as do US politicians - they blow a lot of horns but can't carry or agree upon a tune.

The US may find that the Thais don't need them. The US deserted Taiwan when relations with Red China were normalized. American ingenuity and military might could not defeat Ho Chi Minh's resolve. US politician's have an amazing track record of picking the wrong side of political conflicts - Marcos in PI - Suharto in Indonesia - etc., etc., etc. So why would the Thais place a lot of value on the approval of the US?

In summation I think the world should mind it's own business and let Thailand sort this mess out. If they manage to fix it - great - if they don't - it at least will not be another US policy failure. I personally would not bet on any horse that a US politician picked as winner.

I am fortunate to have been born a US citizen, however democracy (as practiced here) is still a theory in progess and there is not enough hard evidence to prove it is workable enough to export.

Did you read the article? Navi Pilay is in the UN in New York.

Go ahead, open a can of Thai whoop ass in New York City.

Yeah....right.

Read first, then comment.

• Like 1

Lighten up, life is too short, you will do yourself an injustice with taking everything so literally, don't just read the words, and understand the message and meaning.

Well lets see if Chooka confirms if he intended for people to 'read between the lines'. More than a few people make allegations on TV that are absurd.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The UN has their head in the sand on Thailand. Thailand is not in a "possible" breach of human rights, freedoms, political expression, and speech.

Navi Pillay is a citizen of South Africa. I imagine she can recognize breach of human rights, freedoms and political expression. She doens't need to be the Director of the HRC.

Total lack of awareness..........ask some real Thais...the vast majority are VERY happy...taking them drinks and food etc....and, they really don't care what the rest of the world (or you, or me) thinks.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The UN has their head in the sand on Thailand. Thailand is not in a "possible" breach of human rights, freedoms, political expression, and speech.

Navi Pillay is a citizen of South Africa. I imagine she can recognize breach of human rights, freedoms and political expression. She doens't need to be the Director of the HRC.

I didn't know she was SA...so, if she's commenting on the situation in Thailand she presumably is happy with the real situation in SA........interesting!

Most of the world does not even know where Thailand is located, let alone care enough to laugh at it. The true nature of the Thai Military is probably even less known and understood.

Human Rights seems to be more a figment of political imagination than a reality since a vast majority of humans are grossly under-educated (by their own governments) plus live in appalling poverty/health conditions. The UN has its own share of corruption and inefficiency - as do US politicians - they blow a lot of horns but can't carry or agree upon a tune.

The US may find that the Thais don't need them. The US deserted Taiwan when relations with Red China were normalized. American ingenuity and military might could not defeat Ho Chi Minh's resolve. US politician's have an amazing track record of picking the wrong side of political conflicts - Marcos in PI - Suharto in Indonesia - etc., etc., etc. So why would the Thais place a lot of value on the approval of the US?

In summation I think the world should mind it's own business and let Thailand sort this mess out. If they manage to fix it - great - if they don't - it at least will not be another US policy failure. I personally would not bet on any horse that a US politician picked as winner.

I am fortunate to have been born a US citizen, however democracy (as practiced here) is still a theory in progess and there is not enough hard evidence to prove it is workable enough to export.

The best post I've read in a long time. Thank you.

Unfortunately the Western media all hear the word 'coup' and throw their hands up and gasp in horror, Pillay being just another bad example of this.

Unfortunately, you really have to have lived here some time to understand the blatant corruption and inept mis-management here - Westerners really SHOULD NOT judge by their standards.

In fact, at a stroke, the country is pretty well pacified, life goes on as normal and the inept and corrupt politicians have been grabbed by the military and put in safe houses after which, they will hopefully be made to answer for their actions.

Butt out all you hand-wringing Yanks UK, UN, Frogs and appeasing Amnesty International, etc - all the General wanted to do was restore peace and order and he's been magnificent at it so far.

Only time will tell what happens next - if it's bad, THEN you can complain ..

Edited by Mister Fixit

This is as bad as it gets. Thailand took a very big step backward in development. No one can condone the military just arresting the elected members of the government and call that progress.

So sorry to see this happening.

I am concerned about all the brewery workers and their families. Are they going hungry now? I will not be selfish and say, I must obey the curfew so no more beer after 10pm. I do the humane thing and stock up, needed or not.

Oh one more thing just to be totally clear, I will be obedient and drink at home if needed.

Edited by Jimbolai

With the kind of tax free monthly UN salary she gets ...she has to say something to prove she is not totally useless...

I think he means that its impossible to breach human rights in Thailand, because no Thais care about human rights.