Ao Nang for 5 days July end

cairene

Hello

As I'm not really into water activities nor island hopping tours , is there enough in Ao Nang/Krabi town to keep me occupied/interested for 5 days July end? Any/all suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank you.

CaiRene

Thanks.

Thank you.

CaiRene

Come to Samui or the other islands on east coast, instead.... it's not rainy season here in July August! Same same but different! Lots of things to do without Island hopping or being on the beach ! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

What sort of things are you interested in? Some good food options in Krabi town and also wonderful morning market. khao phanom bencha national park - has waterfalls which should be spectacular in rainy season. Also elephant treks. Thara park in Krabi town is pretty and you can people watch in the early evening as local families coming to relax and play. It also has two nice restaurants overlooking the boat marina. From Thara pier you can take VERY short long tail boat crossing to Koh klang island where you can observe traditional local life, it is muslim fishing community and also has some good art and craft/batik. Also seafood restuarant there. You could hire bicyle in Krabi town and easily take over and cycle around the island - very flat, good bird life and mangroves.

Ao nang will be no good for sea swimming at that time but the views will be just as lovely. Most people stay in Ao Nang so they can access the many islands by boat, so if you are not into that then not a lot to do in the town itself.

• Like 1

Sea activities can be dangerous in the monsoon season. Many boats don't run but some do, and you safety maybe compromised - please research this before getting into any boat during the monsoon, as the weather can change quickly. As previously mentioned the gulf coast is better option during July.

• Like 1

I think they are pretty experienced at reading the conditions and there are plenty of places to head for if they can't make it back to base before the storm hits.

One nice little walk is to the Centara resort in the next bay.. You walk to the southern end of the beach, then up through the forest past the troop of malevolent looking monkeys..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One thing about the Ao Nang beach is the the sand is very "slimy" feeling. I think it is because of a lot of organic matter from the forest runoff. But it is not a "sandy" feeling beach. Just going around the point to Raily made a big difference. The sands of Karon beach on Phuket is what I would call sand. As for Ao Nang, I liked the little town itself. Not that much to do, but the food choices were nice. Some cute little cafes and eateries up and down the hill. Love those fresh mango shakes. The view from my hotel with that big limestone cliff to my left, water straight ahead, jungle and plants to the right was fantastic. The nightlife venue was OK to kill some time. Seafood street was OK, with nice views anyway. I didn't make it into Krabi Town itself, but the bus runs daily and is cheap. One could wander off there to kill a day. The drive is scenic enough and not too long.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Motorbike riding to view from many angles all the magnificent 'karsts' that seem to jut out of the ground ... There are the often independent mountains that stand alone all over the area... some connected - sheer cliffs of craggy limestone.. There are quite a sight - sorta the trade mark of this area..

post-135557-0-68504700-1406256805_thumb.post-135557-0-02257100-1406257083_thumb.

• Like 1

Can anyone give me the general picture of the weather at the moment in krabi?

I'm arriving on wednesday for 10 days. I"m hoping rains are not all day and all night long, and that the seas are not overly rough… taking a boat over to ko jum at some point. I also trust it doesn't get too cold?

Cheers.

Can anyone give me the general picture of the weather at the moment in krabi?

I'm arriving on wednesday for 10 days. I"m hoping rains are not all day and all night long, and that the seas are not overly rough… taking a boat over to ko jum at some point. I also trust it doesn't get too cold?

Cheers.

I can't say for all of Krabi Province or the over all region, but since last Friday Ao Nang has had two full days of total rain - heavy stuff. These tropical rainy seasons are unpredictable... only last week there were 3-4 days of practically no rain. But - the rain does not have to spoil things... I bought a rain cape with hood and ride the rented motorcycle using it. And I strap an umbrella on the seat with a bungee cord - if the rain gets too bad, I stop and get off the street and take shelter using the umbrella... Or if it is threatening but not actually raining - I have the rain cape in the bike storage and get to my destination and carry the umbrella while walking...

Often the rain is just showers that come and go ... This is how I deal with it and don't let the rain spoil my good time.

Another photo of Ao Nang from the side of a mountain... Quite a vista...

post-135557-0-27317000-1406524233_thumb.

Notice the rain clouds ...

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1