Restoring democracy must be main focus of coup leaders

The Army can easily appoint a PM to their liking.A promise for another TV station and the exclusive (new constitional) right to broadcast the approved news would be nice for now. Maybe a secret tribunial for retired Generals to administer justice to those who dissent...would suit them also.The safety and security that many crave from the uncertaincies of Democracy can surely be achieved, if enough voices of dissent become the silent dissappeared....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon restoring safety should come before restoring democracy.

I get a bit sick of the incessant bleating from the media about how "freedom of the press" comes before anything else.

Well - guess what - when the press is publishing divisive sensationalist BS that just helps to make Thailand less peaceful - a bit of time in the cooler won't hurt them.

best post I've read today

• Like 1

I reckon restoring safety should come before restoring democracy.

I get a bit sick of the incessant bleating from the media about how "freedom of the press" comes before anything else.

Well - guess what - when the press is publishing divisive sensationalist BS that just helps to make Thailand less peaceful - a bit of time in the cooler won't hurt them.

Coup to restore democracy.

That's how I teach Thai kids the meaning of the word IRONY.

Reminds me of the apocryphal saying from another long-running SE Asian conflict: "It became necessary to destroy the town to save it".

Ben Tre one day, LOS another.....

I once served with a very wise general who summed up the utter non-sequitur role of the army in political matters in one pithy sentence; "We are here to uphold the concept of democracy, certainly not to practice it, so just do what I tell you to do".

• Like 1