Winthai warns public against rallying, using social media to incite unrest

Lite Beer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without making a connection to anyone,.....

How about we, expats living in Thailand, just mind our own business and lay low for as long as it takes for 'them' to return Thailand to a peaceful place to retire in and a prosperous place for the people of Thailand to live in.

I know I will.

A lifetime can be a very long time...

Then if you don't like it ....move somewhere else!!

Think i might have heard that "brilliant" statement before. w00t.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about we, expats living in Thailand, just mind our own business and lay low for as long as it takes for 'them' to return Thailand to a peaceful place to retire in and a prosperous place for the people of Thailand to live in.

I know I will.

That's all we are allowed to do here.

We don't understand because we're not Thai, we don't love the army because we're not Thai.

Remember all of the coups that came before this and now think of how they improved the country.

My wife is off giving Lipton Ice Tea to the soldiers up the road, I have decided to keep my mouth shut for the rest of the coup as it only causes stress in our relationship.

Remember we're not Thai so we couldn't possibly understand.

I am reminded everyday...by Thais...that I am not Thai...when they see me coming...they do not put their hand out for "Ice" Tea...

• Like 1

I know I will.

We don't understand because we're not Thai, we don't love the army because we're not Thai.

Remember all of the coups that came before this and now think of how they improved the country.

My wife is off giving Lipton Ice Tea to the soldiers up the road, I have decided to keep my mouth shut for the rest of the coup as it only causes stress in our relationship.

Actually, that's correct. Most of you don't understand - because you're not Thai. Can you once and for all please at least understand that?

There are westerners who have lived (not vegetated) in Thailand for longer periods of time, who are fluent in Thai language and who "see" the hearts of Thais and understand them. And they are considered Thai by Thai's themselves. But 99.99% of westerners in Thailand really don't understand Thais.

i second that...

Give Gen P a chance to sort it. He's a damn site better that what we have had these past 6 months. It will take an iron fist to bring the rampant disregard for law and order under control. Let him do his job.

what is "we" tonto? are you a thai? butt out! remember in martial law they can boot you out of the country within 24 hours without any mexcuse!

"we" is who care...

Gen P is doing a great job indeed.

Maybe now corruption will come to an end to ?

It is the rights of the people to come out to against the rebels - who seized the people's power to favour the dem, pdrc, nacc, cc, ec, ac appointed senators, ombudsman. Chaos and hardships were premeditated and engineered by these groups and yet they carry on their insurrection activities with impunity.

Have you ever thought with all these groups against your side maybe it's the side you are supporting that's in the wrong?

Heh. I bet that is EXACTLY what these poor soldiers were thinking this afternoon. "Hey, they told us it was just a couple of malcontents". Hahaha. Welcome to the flash mob, General Failure. You are about to get a lot of lessons from a lot of groups. When will you recommence the killing?

post-52815-0-08830300-1401022620_thumb.j

News agency: Soldiers run from protesters

Troops fanned out Sunday in one of Bangkok's busiest shopping districts and blocked access to the city's Skytrain in an attempt to prevent a third day of anti-coup demonstrations. They were soon met by a crowd of about 1,000 people, who shouted, ``Get out, get out, get out!''

Tensions ran high, and at one point a group of soldiers was chased away by the crowds in the Ratchaprasong shopping district. By late afternoon, the protesters had moved to Victory Monument, a city landmark a few kilometers (miles) away, and their numbers had swelled past 2,000. Rows of soldiers were gathered, but troops did not move to break up the rally.

A speaker on a military truck said through loudspeakers, ``Brothers and sisters, please use your reasons and logics, not emotions.''

Well.... that could start the killing much earlier than usual for a Thai junta.

Maybe now corruption will come to an end to ?

Gen P is doing a great job indeed.

And the tooth fairy will restart her rounds, too.

It's a hoot to read someone who thinks the army isn't the most corrupt group in all of Thailand. Last coup they added 25% to the defence budget. And their "first priority" this week is to get the 2015 budget talks in high gear. Yeah, I'm sure all corruption will end by... maybe Tuesday at the latest? 555555555

Was this actually designed as the comedy relief thread? So far it's better than Note.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 2

I know I will.

Admirable post whose sentiments are difficult to disagree with.

However, I will continue to post from time to time if I have something constructive to add to the 'discussion'. I'll tell you why.

Firstly, this forum is almost exclusively for Farangs, both in and outside of Thailand. Therefore, when I post I don't consider myself telling the Thais how to run the country.

Secondly, it's often difficult to not comment when we (the farangs) read of some development that would never be allowed to take place in most western countries. It's like getting it off your chest so to speak. For example, you could not imagine a British general indicating that they do not plan any coup at this time. (that was prior to the events) Such a general would be out of the Army pronto. I only give this as an example, not as a criticism for, as you say, it's the Thai way.

I've been in UK politics one way or the other for the last 40 years and some of the things that happen here defy my understanding.

Nevertheless I do follow the discussions mainly to try and learn from differing views. However I do find it difficult to read some of the posts, particularly those are clearly sexist, juvenile and outrageous - e.g. some of the comments on the detention of the former PM, whatever the rights and wrongs of that woman's tenure in office.

So, I will continue to post occasionally if I feel I can add any points to the discussion, but I share your view that we are not going to change things, even if 'democracy' as we understand it appears somewhat suspect from time to time.

• Like 2

Don't be a missionary. If you don't want to speak, Thailand won't make you speak. Thais will not make you sing the glorious praises of General Failure who by merely appearing on TV made Lipton Tea taste better than ever in the annals of human history. At least one country does that, and this isn't it. If you want to be a clam, be a clam.
If you want to speak, Thailand won't make you put tape over your mouth, that is voluntary. I've lived in Thailand longer that most Thais. When I have something I want to say, I can say it respectfully, to people who will sometimes listen, some of whom might agree with me. And I have, and I do, and I most certainly will.
I've been here for a coup or two, and there's not one of them ended without bloodshed. We all of us, I sincerely hope, pray that this one will be the exception. But all Thais have the right, even the duty, to speak and act and do the right thing. You can too, if you want. Or not, up to you. Just don't be ordering the rest of us and most especially don't think that because you have the spirit of righteousness that no one else has it.
And where can I go to get some of that free Lipton?
Edited by wandasloan

I know I will.

Actually, that's correct. Most of you don't understand - because you're not Thai. Can you once and for all please at least understand that?

There are westerners who have lived (not vegetated) in Thailand for longer periods of time, who are fluent in Thai language and who "see" the hearts of Thais and understand them. And they are considered Thai by Thai's themselves. But 99.99% of westerners in Thailand really don't understand Thais.

Right!!! We do not have any rights to say anything here. We are NOT citizens ...hence if someone ask you not to leave bad comments why not to just wait and watch. If your house(home) guest will lay negative feelings against what you do ...will you be so nice to him??

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know I will.

A lifetime can be a very long time...

Then if you don't like it ....move somewhere else!!

OH yeah! I was waiting for that one. The same b.s. from another loudmouth. Some of us are unfortunately vested and hard to extricate ourselves.

It is the rights of the people to come out to against the rebels - who seized the people's power to favour the dem, pdrc, nacc, cc, ec, ac appointed senators, ombudsman. Chaos and hardships were premeditated and engineered by these groups and yet they carry on their insurrection activities with impunity.

Have you ever thought with all these groups against your side maybe it's the side you are supporting that's in the wrong?

Have you? Anyway as of today only one side is even allowed to express itself, that should tell you something.

Don't be a missionary. If you don't want to speak, Thailand won't make you speak. Thais will not make you sing the glorious praises of General Failure who by merely appearing on TV made Lipton Tea taste better than ever in the annals of human history. At least one country does that, and this isn't it. If you want to be a clam, be a clam.
If you want to speak, Thailand won't make you put tape over your mouth, that is voluntary. I've lived in Thailand longer that most Thais. When I have something I want to say, I can say it respectfully, to people who will sometimes listen, some of whom might agree with me. And I have, and I do, and I most certainly will.
I've been here for a coup or two, and there's not one of them ended without bloodshed. We all of us, I sincerely hope, pray that this one will be the exception. But all Thais have the right, even the duty, to speak and act and do the right thing. You can too, if you want. Or not, up to you. Just don't be ordering the rest of us and most especially don't think that because you have the spirit of righteousness that no one else has it.
And where can I go to get some of that free Lipton?

Stop that nonsense right now. If you want to be dishonest here at least get your facts straight. The coup d' etat in 2006 was as peaceful as walk in the park. Bloodless. You're pathetic, you really are.You don't even know basic facts about Thailand and their culture.

I know I will.

I believe you misunderstood the results of the last coup! You think this country's problems are from the last coup? or any other coup for that matter.

Give me a break! How about all Thaskins government's policy's including the one he played a direct part in. Take off your blinders mate! I perfectly understand the dynamics of Thai politics and why at this point the General is purging the system. There will be a new elected government again in Thailand in the near future....and maybe this time it will have people that will serve the nation in whole and that the so-called Royalist elite will give way for a bright future....plus I hate what the red shirt movement represents and I hate Thaskin and his way of governing.

s

• Like 1

I know I will.

I believe you misunderstood the results of the last coup! You think this country's problems are from the last coup? or any other coup for that matter.

Give me a break! How about all Thaskins government's policy's including the one he played a direct part in. Take off your blinders mate! I perfectly understand the dynamics of Thai politics and why at this point the General is purging the system. There will be a new elected government again in Thailand in the near future....and maybe this time it will have people that will serve the nation in whole and that the so-called Royalist elite will give way for a bright future....plus I hate what the red shirt movement represents and I hate Thaskin and his way of governing.

s

You are contradicting yourself. If Thailand has had more coups than any other country in the world even before Thaksin how is he the root of the problem?

Incidentally check what credentials all Thailand PMs have in common over the past 60 years including Thaksin who although he chose the Royal Police met his buddies at the Military Academy and got his GSM license from the Military.

Edited by firestar

I know I will.

Iced tea is a diuretic, not great for soldiers on guard ..but a nice gesture

If the armed forces had truly abide by the democratic process we would not have come to this seizing of power. They should abide by the constitution in supporting the election which is the only legitimate democratic process after a government returned power to the people.. They should support the government law enforcement agencies in maintaining law and order, reinstating rule of law, and enforcement of rule of law. They should assist the government in arresting those with arrest warrants.

Instead, the armed forces issued statements to undermine the works of the law enforcement agencies. Warning them not to use their legitimate force to reinstate rule of law and maintaining law and order. They made threatening statements against the pro government groups when they came out to defense their people elected government. They distorted and twisted the freedom of expression of the pro government groups.

It is still not too late to returned power to the people elected government - now on caretaker mode. Support election - protecting registration centers, polling stations, EC officials and staff, political candidates and the voters and all activities related to conducting a fair an free election. After a government returned power to the people, all demands before election are outside of the constitution.

Political parties and activist groups should channel their energy to gaining the heart and mind of the people through election campaigning on their demands on reform agendas and their policies. Reforms before election as demanded by the dem, pdrc and appointed senators is robbing the people's rights to choose and was premeditated and engineered to create chaos and hardships to peopele so that they can seize power. Once seized power they will pass laws to redraw electoral boundaries just like they did before 2011 election. This is because they cannot win an election without changing law that hopefully will be in their favour.

".....The democratic process cannot be done like in a normal situation." It cannot be done through war weapons of the armed forces either. If you truly want ".... return happiness to all Thais and will create confidence and stability of Thailand in the eyes of the international community," it is through the rule of law and the rule of law must prevail. Without the rule of law, no agreement, arrangement, or compromise is sustainable.

I don't know if you are aware what the main problem is in Thailand.

We're in a complete political deadlock since years. The main problem is that since the time that TS started to govern the country there is only one ruling party (except for the time the Dems were in power) and it's the ruling party governed and financed by TS. If we would just have an election, PT would win again and the problems would start again. Is it normal that PT makes election promises like the rice scheme which ended in a fiasco because the people to distribute the funds funneled it away into some politicians pockets? (But there was money targeted for mega projects like high speed trains, but no money available to pay the farmers!) Innumerable farmers which were bought to vote for PT by TS are still waiting for their money. In our small Isaan village we still have 5 families out of about 25 who have given their harvest to the miller in November last year and are still waiting to be paid. General Prayuth wants to root out the problem. He wants an election in which TS cannot interfere anymore. Would you perhaps have preferred that the protests and moreover violence instigated by wrongdoers would continue and lead into a civil war?

Along comes General Prayuth and after he seizes power (bravo!) one of the first things he does is trying to pay all the rice farmers who haven't been paid. Chapeau! I for myself have witnessed Thai politics during the last 28 years and I think it is about time that someone makes sweeping changes here. In order to do this the constitution had to be abolished for some time, otherwise it would just protect the politicians with criminal intent. For him it is necessary to sidestep the constitution to give him those extra powers he would otherwise not have to perform the task he wants to accomplish.

I trust General Prayuth, I believe he is working for the interest of the nation and I wish him success in his endeavors. Time will show.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 2

A big congratulation to Gen. Prayuth Chan-o-cha on a job well done in rounding up the mess that has been plaguing this country for the last 8 years. It is very clear that democracy does not work for Thailand as the society is not structured in such a way that it can be accepted widely by all. Thailand has not matured that way. There is nothing wrong with this fact as we know that there are a lot of other nations in our region such as Singapore and China that do not adhere to full democracy but are still able to progress and prosper better other countries that does. Multiple wasteful elections have failed to bring the nation together as one, stalling the country and leaving its citizens physically and intellectually handicapped. Thais must not let the west impose their rules and system on us.

It is time for the new government under General Prayuth to bring real order into Thailand and rid us of vices and crimes and introduce economic policies for the betterment of all Thais.There must be restrictions and there must be control. Everything is too loose in Thailand. We need a new grip now!

• Like 1

I don't know if you are aware what the main problem is in Thailand.

.....Time will show.

Dario is entitled to his opinion and makes his case sincerely.His account of the 'main problem' is one we have heard many times.

However, his experience of living in an Isaan village isn't unique. I now work most of the year in the UK, but still have a house, car and part-year work in such a village, where I've lived full time in the past, including through two general elections. I do not think Dario would have a better appreciation of the micro politics of a PTP-voting village than I have. All I'll say is that some of us have a completely different analysis of what the main problem is, and also the immediate precipitating factor for the coup. We do not think that the primary issue is corruption, but cannot say much more. As Dario says, time will tell.

• Like 1

A big congratulation to Gen. Prayuth Chan-o-cha on a job well done in rounding up the mess that has been plaguing this country for the last 8 years. It is very clear that democracy does not work for Thailand as the society is not structured in such a way that it can be accepted widely by all. Thailand has not matured that way. There is nothing wrong with this fact as we know that there are a lot of other nations in our region such as Singapore and China that do not adhere to full democracy but are still able to progress and prosper better other countries that does. Multiple wasteful elections have failed to bring the nation together as one, stalling the country and leaving its citizens physically and intellectually handicapped. Thais must not let the west impose their rules and system on us.

It is time for the new government under General Prayuth to bring real order into Thailand and rid us of vices and crimes and introduce economic policies for the betterment of all Thais.There must be restrictions and there must be control. Everything is too loose in Thailand. We need a new grip now!

Do you have to write your refrain all around many different threads just to get some attention?

Stop that nonsense right now. If you want to be dishonest here at least get your facts straight. The coup d' etat in 2006 was as peaceful as walk in the park. Bloodless. You're pathetic, you really are.You don't even know basic facts about Thailand and their culture.

And the end of the 2006 coup, which is what I asked? How did that work out? Pretty bloodless was it?

ALL Thai coups are bloodless at beginning. The 2006 coup was actually popular, unlike this one. WAY more people not only supported it but came out in droves to show their support. Every one back to the early 1960s and even that one was really more comedy than blood. And all but one or two Thai coups end in bloodshed. Like the 2006 one, for example, set a record in bloodshed, the Thai army surpassing itself. I fear this military episode is going to be much shorter. I pray, literally, it will end with less blood. None would be great.

If you're in doubt... well, that was stupid, you're not in any doubt you are filled with righteousness. But you SHOULD not be. You should be doubting yourself, since someone with much more experience is telling you that you're wrong. You should doubt. And you should ask an actual Thai person how the 2006 coup ENDED, and you will be sooooo surprised!

Betcha won't. Bet you are so filled with your certainty you can't doubt. I didn't stay in Thailand so many years being as sure of myself as you. If you don't doubt, particularly yourself, you won't actually survive Thailand. Try a meditation class. Get some humility. You can't be right all the time, you simply can't.

Thai business leaders said this today and yesterday. They don't seem to agree with you at all, and on top of that they have thousands of times the influence you have. So these guys agree with you, have no respect for the military that will last beyond a month or so. Now what?
"Holding a general election quickly is a top prerequisite if this country is to move forward."
- Supant Mongkolsuthree, chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries.
"We hope the [interim] government will be installed soon for the country's sake and call the next election as soon as possible."
- Paiboon Nalinthrangkurn, chairman of the Federation of Thai Capital Market Organizations.
"What is desperately needed is a government leader who is credible in social and economic fronts, being transparent and knowledgeable in finance and trade as well."
- Nopporn Thepsithar, president of the Thai National Shippers’ Council.
"Our first wish is for the interim government to return power to the people as soon as possible."
- Marc Spiegel, vice-chairman of the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand (JFCCT).

Thailand had Generals and appointed prime ministers up until 1992. Oh what an economic powerhouse with world class education it was wasn't it rolleyes.gif

I know I will.

Iced tea is a diuretic, not great for soldiers on guard ..but a nice gesture

Haha must mention that to her, it was a lovely gesture I thought as well